sunny

Hi,
i have found that i can't run dos applications on my xp pc, and command
prompt doesn't work to run them, is there a way to do this?

Cheers

sunny wrote:

> Hi,
> i have found that i can't run dos applications on my xp pc, and command
> prompt doesn't work to run them, is there a way to do this?
>
> Cheers

The closest thing you are going to get to DOS is to go to
Start>run>cmd

gls858

gls858 wrote:

> sunny wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> i have found that i can't run dos applications on my xp pc, and
>> command prompt doesn't work to run them, is there a way to do this?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> The closest thing you are going to get to DOS is to go to
> Start>run>cmd
>
> gls858
I didn't read that very close :) I see now that you said the command
prompt doesn't work. You might be out of luck. XP doe not include DOS.

gls858

"sunny" <sunny@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:41995AB3-9540-460C-994C-8D46B96CC07A@microsoft.com:
> Hi,
> i have found that i can't run dos applications on my xp pc, and
> command prompt doesn't work to run them, is there a way to do this?
>
> Cheers

If your DOS application requires direct access to hardware, it will not
run under an NT-based version of Windows. You don't mention your DOS
applications so no one that is also familiar with it can help you.

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:47:36 -0500, "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote:

>"sunny" <sunny@discussions.microsoft.com>
>wrote in news:41995AB3-9540-460C-994C-8D46B96CC07A@microsoft.com:
>> Hi,
>> i have found that i can't run dos applications on my xp pc, and
>> command prompt doesn't work to run them, is there a way to do this?
>>
>> Cheers
>
>If your DOS application requires direct access to hardware, it will not
>run under an NT-based version of Windows. You don't mention your DOS
>applications so no one that is also familiar with it can help you.

I find that I don't have any problems running any dos app
you can run either Command or CMD as a Windows process -- not as a DOS
process. also if you use fat32, you can have a boot floppy that has
command/config.sys to run as a dos process on your cpu, but the
downside of it is that you typically will screw up all your lfn's
unless you only use / process 8/3 filenames
if you have an icon n the desktop and look at the properties you can
actually fool the process into thinking that it is running under dos
or win95 etc, but I do find I tend to screw up any structure that is a
long filename. if they are only 8x3 no problem.

Billy, N5WE
Mississippi

Make sure that autoexec.nt and config.nt are in either the \windows\system32
or \winnt\system32 directory. The upgrade puts them in the ..\repair
directory