Issues with 7900gt in Oblivion

mattyink

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
First off sorry if i should have posted this in the game forum, i wasnt sure im new here.
Apperently there are glitch and stuttering issues

Well some people are saying on the official TES forum that the game is a console port so made to run at 12xx by 7xx and that running it 1600x1200 causes problems. I dont think its that. But the game does run better with ATI tho.

There is also speculations that dual core CPU wasnt good for the game, someone did the test and disabled one but that didnt change.

Some one with a 4200 X2 and SLI 7900gt said that when setting textures to medium and lower the grass it was better.... with a set up like that( close to what ill have ( Opty 165 2x 7900gt) ) i shouldnt be worried about playing maxed out....
Im waiting for my part except the cards are back order, im thinking of just buying an x1900xt...

If Bethesda got of their butt and actually announce that the patch would adress issues with SLI and the 7900gt then my mind would be at ease..

Anyone here heard of those problems and ways to fix it?

cleeve

Illustrious
Dual core is fine, but Oblivion simply isn't coded to take advantage of it.

I think you might have to get past the mental barrier that every game should run maxed out on your machine. Lots of times developers will release software that is too advanced for modern hardware. Oblivion is a case in point.

Just turn the grass down like everybody else, there are also other tweaks out there. your gameplay experience will be just fine with a couple 7900 GT's and your CPU.

Don't get hung up on the fact that you can't run it maxed, just enjoy the game...

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Couldn't agree more. I doubt if there is any setup that can run this game with everything maxed out.

Take Doom3 for instance. On release it surely did give most systems a run for their money - and now? Take the top new architectures, and they can run the game easily at 1600x1200 - well almost...

This is what will happen with Oblivion. 6 months from now most new hardware will run it blissfully. I also think that upcoming patches and drivers (ati/nvidia) will boost performance quite significantly.

mattyink

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Ya i guess thats what im gonna do, i thought it over and even if ATI would be a better choice for this game, i have to think about other games.

I dunno about the prices you guys have where you are , but here in Montreal 2 7900GTs is less then a x1900xt and it performs better. ( this taken from benches on Toms).

Ill try every .INI tweak possible(www.teakguide.com) and if i have to turn down the grass a bit well ill just do it. At worst texture detail to medium, but im sure i could handle high. Anyway i doubt ill be playing 1600x1200 on my CRT 19inch monitor.
I always had a cheap PC so i never experience a bit of eye candy. Didnt play all those game from 2-3 years ago so Oblivion on pretty high settings will be a major step up from MW on xbox or Gothic series on PC hehehehe

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Well, I wont discourage you from your decision, but I believe the 1900 is more robust with titles like Oblivion - especially with HDr and complex shader performance, the future of games I believe.. At the end, it's your decision though, and Oblivion isn't the only game you'll be playing...

Randy77

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Dual core is fine, but Oblivion simply isn't coded to take advantage of it.

Where do you get this information? The FAQs found on www.elderscrolls.com say that it was in fact coded to take advantage of up to three cores (XBox 2), and that you WOULD see a performance benefit using dual cores. The game is multi threaded. If I remember correctly, the radiant AI is one of the threads, which can be run on a second core if a second core is available. It is funny to see statements like 'Oblivion isn't coded for dual cores' when there is so much information on exactly how it will.

You are correct that 99.99% of the games won't see more than one core, but please check your facts before posting.

Randy77

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Well, I wont discourage you from your decision, but I believe the 1900 is more robust with titles like Oblivion - especially with HDr and complex shader performance, the future of games I believe.. At the end, it's your decision though, and Oblivion isn't the only game you'll be playing...

I've heard the same. ATI seems to have the better card this time around. But that's Ok. It'll be NVidia again soon... then ATI again... then NVidia again, and so on.

I'd be looking at the 1900 if I didn't have an NVidia chipset on the motherboard. I know that mixing the two can sometimes cause problems (Example: GEForce 6600GT and the ATI Radeon Express 200 chipset). I'm hoping that the NForce chipsets are nicer about working with ATI video cards, but am not willing to bet $300+ on it. Is anyone here running an ATI video card on an NForce 4 motherboard on a 100% stable system? If so, I'd like to hear. Thanks. :)

cleeve

Illustrious
You are correct that 99.99% of the games won't see more than one core, but please check your facts before posting.

Whoa fella! If I'm mistaken I apologize, I thought I had read it wasn't a multithreaded game. Not everyone is perfect 100% of the time. :)

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Randy77 said:
I'd be looking at the 1900 if I didn't have an NVidia chipset on the motherboard. I know that mixing the two can sometimes cause problems (Example: GEForce 6600GT and the ATI Radeon Express 200 chipset). I'm hoping that the NForce chipsets are nicer about working with ATI video cards, but am not willing to bet $300+ on it. Is anyone here running an ATI video card on an NForce 4 motherboard on a 100% stable system? If so, I'd like to hear. Thanks. :)

Take a look at meh siggy....I"ve not had an issue yet.