Problem with Audigy 2 ZS

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have the 5.1 surround sound speaker system . I can test the speakers and get sound out of all of them but when I play music I don't get sound out of the back two. Like I said the test works fine. Any one have a idea . Thanks Bruce

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The question you have to ask is--do you really want to just hear the same thing mirrored out of all channels from a 2-channel/stereo source. From a physics stand point, there's not much of a compelling reason why that would sound good as it would destroy your sound stage completely.

I am assuming you are *not* talking about playing SACDs or DVD-A (true multichannel music) and not getting audio out of the other channels.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I wouldn't say thats a question that has to be asked. Listening to stereo music in 5.1 is good for spreading sound around a large room if you don't have great quality speakers. With the exception of the centre speaker, it doesn't detract from the experience at all.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I wouldn't say thats a question that has to be asked. Listening to stereo music in 5.1 is good for spreading sound around a large room if you don't have great quality speakers. With the exception of the centre speaker, it doesn't detract from the experience at all.

I disagree, because your argument is purely annecdotal. This actually IMO proves the question *should* be asked.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
What are you saying exactly? Yes, my argument is anecdotal, but that doesn't detract from the fact that most PC speakers are of poor-medium quality and that having extra speakers does help to spread the sound.

At what level of speaker quality would you say upmixing is not warrented for getting a better spread of sound? Isn't that why people buy 5.1 in the first place? Surround sound?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
What are you saying exactly? Yes, my argument is anecdotal, but that doesn't detract from the fact that most PC speakers are of poor-medium quality and that having extra speakers does help to spread the sound.

At what level of speaker quality would you say upmixing is not warrented for getting a better spread of sound? Isn't that why people buy 5.1 in the first place? Surround sound?

What am I saying? I am saying he and he alone needs to decide what he wants. Therefore, I raise the issue, or "question" which he needs to ask of himself. If he doesn't need to ask that question, then it's tantamount to him just buying something based on someone else's preferences. We have differing opinions.

Why do people buy 5.1? Surround sound? Yes. Upmixing 2-channel music? Depends on the individual.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I agree. When all are working the sound is terrific. It still sounds good with the 2 front , center, and sub. If the back come on it even better. I find it strange that the rear are working only in the test mode. That tells me the speakers are working and the sound card is working.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
And you say that the 5.1 works in full surround for DVDs, games etc...

If you go to

Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Speaker Settings

does it display that there is a surround sound system in use?

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I just tested a dve movie and I only get the two front speakers and the sub. I then went to calibrate the speakers and they run through the test fine. That does not make sence to me. I have them set to 5.1 in the speaker setup.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I did find the problem. What a learning experience thanks to all of you. It perteained to the EAX Consaole. I had to upmix at the CMSS 3D Tab, all speakers are working fine . Thanks Bruce