Is the VF1 Plus A Bit Shy of Magic Bullet Status?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
The review looks good, except that the heat is dumped inside the case. If a cooling solution is air, don't you think that it has to get as much of the heat outside the case as is possible to qualify as anywhere near state of the art (even just air cooling art)??? One thing I like about the Zalman 9500 is that, coupled with an appropriately placed case fan, much of the heat goes right out the back. I'd like to see a similar comparison of the VF1 vs. the X1900XT vs 7900GTX stock rigs. Edumacate me, please...

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
True, the heat is dumped into the case. But if you have a well-ventilated case, it shouldn't be a huge issue.

This thing, for being an air-cooler, is amazing.

Personally, I'm watercooling my next computer. But if I were going to do air, this would certainly be at the top of my list.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
True, the heat is dumped into the case. But if you have a well-ventilated case, it shouldn't be a huge issue.

This thing, for being an air-cooler, is amazing.

Personally, I'm watercooling my next computer. But if I were going to do air, this would certainly be at the top of my list.

I understand well that it is a good quality heat sink. That's not my point. I'm saying that the Tom's review compared it to a card that also dumped heat into the case. I'd like to see it compared to current cards like the X1900XT and 7900GTX because their HSs are substantial and because they blow heat out of the box. Sure, in-case heat dump can work on a well-vented case but what I'm reacting to is the "Magic Bullet" status the review bestowed upon this HSF. Seems to me that it's not a huge issue to vent out of the box once you've already decided to make a large HS and to slap a fan on it. Another thing - the heat pipe guys stress that pipes work best when vertically oriented with the heat source at the bottom. This is another product that flies in the face (successfully, apparently) of that theory.