Truth About Canon Pixma Models

The Canon Pixma IP4000 is the best of the Canon line except for the
expensive IP8500 and the flagship non Pixma i9900. When the IP6000D and
the IP5000 were released I did not feel as good about my purchase of the
IP4000 even though I could not see any difference in the results between
all of them. Of course I did not get to test all of them with the same
data source.

After reading tests at PCWorld and then the same opinions generated by
PC Magazine, I am glad I purchased the IP4000 and would do it again.

Here are the links to the tests I read:

IP6000D

IP5000

IP4000 the best value

The IP3000 does NOT have the contrast enhancing dye black (the 5th
cartridge) and does not produce as good results for photographs.

i9900 - the Pixma IP8500 has the same print engine in a Pixma form factor.

I still have my HP990 business inkjet. And it does produce the best
draft (comparable to the standard text on the IP4000) and faster.
However, the IP4000 draft is faster but more of a draft quality and the
photo quality is superior. It also has twin paper feeds. Both are full
duplex printers.
2 answers Last reply
More about truth canon pixma models

    I also have both the HP 990cse and the Canon IP3000. The IP3000 comes VERY
    close to the photo quality of the HP990, but more importantly the 3000 is
    easily 2x as fast at normal quality color printing than the 990, and the
    results look identical, even slightly better quality for photos on normal
    paper. The 3000 has replaced my 990, much to my surprise. As soon as I use
    up all the old carts for the 990, it's headed for the closet. I'll get
    either another 3000/4000 (European model), or an Epson for double duty as a
    CD/DVD printer. Having 2 Canons loaded the 2 different papers each has a lot
    of appeal for someone like me who cranks out piles of letters, envelopes and
    flyers.

    One amazing thing about the Canon is it's seemingly psychic ability to
    always print envelopes from the top feed, where I keep envelopes loaded.
    Just wish it would print envelopes without smudging them, setting the
    no-abrasion option is a pain.

    > The Canon Pixma IP4000 is the best of the Canon line except for the
    > expensive IP8500 and the flagship non Pixma i9900. When the IP6000D and
    > the IP5000 were released I did not feel as good about my purchase of the
    > IP4000 even though I could not see any difference in the results between
    > all of them. Of course I did not get to test all of them with the same
    > data source.
    >
    > After reading tests at PCWorld and then the same opinions generated by
    > PC Magazine, I am glad I purchased the IP4000 and would do it again.
    >
    > Here are the links to the tests I read:
    >
    > IP6000D
    >
    > IP5000
    >
    > IP4000 the best value
    >
    > The IP3000 does NOT have the contrast enhancing dye black (the 5th
    > cartridge) and does not produce as good results for photographs.
    >
    > i9900 - the Pixma IP8500 has the same print engine in a Pixma form factor.
    >
    > I still have my HP990 business inkjet. And it does produce the best
    > draft (comparable to the standard text on the IP4000) and faster.
    > However, the IP4000 draft is faster but more of a draft quality and the
    > photo quality is superior. It also has twin paper feeds. Both are full
    > duplex printers.

    The 990cse has the best color draft mode their is. While slower than
    the Canon IP4000 you cannot beat the HP990 draft quality. I use the HP
    mainly for printing from the web and programming. Draft is almost as
    good as the Canon standard (middle) quality. I use the Canon for
    everything else.

    One thing I noticed when doing business printing the HP is more of a
    deeper red while the Canon is more of an orangy red.

    Dan G wrote:

    >I also have both the HP 990cse and the Canon IP3000. The IP3000 comes VERY
    >close to the photo quality of the HP990, but more importantly the 3000 is
    >easily 2x as fast at normal quality color printing than the 990, and the
    >results look identical, even slightly better quality for photos on normal
    >paper. The 3000 has replaced my 990, much to my surprise. As soon as I use
    >up all the old carts for the 990, it's headed for the closet. I'll get
    >either another 3000/4000 (European model), or an Epson for double duty as a
    >CD/DVD printer. Having 2 Canons loaded the 2 different papers each has a lot
    >of appeal for someone like me who cranks out piles of letters, envelopes and
    >flyers.
    >
    >One amazing thing about the Canon is it's seemingly psychic ability to
    >always print envelopes from the top feed, where I keep envelopes loaded.
    >Just wish it would print envelopes without smudging them, setting the
    >no-abrasion option is a pain.

    >>The Canon Pixma IP4000 is the best of the Canon line except for the
    >>expensive IP8500 and the flagship non Pixma i9900. When the IP6000D and
    >>the IP5000 were released I did not feel as good about my purchase of the
    >>IP4000 even though I could not see any difference in the results between
    >>all of them. Of course I did not get to test all of them with the same
    >>data source.
    >>
    >>After reading tests at PCWorld and then the same opinions generated by
    >>PC Magazine, I am glad I purchased the IP4000 and would do it again.
    >>
    >>Here are the links to the tests I read:
    >>
    >>IP6000D
    >>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1756584,00.asp
    >>
    >>IP5000
    >>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1725827,00.asp
    >>
    >>IP4000 the best value
    >>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1651975,00.asp
    >>
    >>The IP3000 does NOT have the contrast enhancing dye black (the 5th
    >>cartridge) and does not produce as good results for photographs.
    >>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1651962,00.asp
    >>
    >>i9900 - the Pixma IP8500 has the same print engine in a Pixma form factor.
    >>http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1652357,00.asp
    >>
    >>I still have my HP990 business inkjet. And it does produce the best
    >>draft (comparable to the standard text on the IP4000) and faster.
    >>However, the IP4000 draft is faster but more of a draft quality and the
    >>photo quality is superior. It also has twin paper feeds. Both are full
    >>duplex printers.

Printers Pixma Canon Peripherals