CookEMonster

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
:?:
Is there a way to know which way to plug in the HDD LED, the reset SW LED, the power switch connector, etc. every time (white goes to #1 pin, green to #4 . . .)?

Does it matter?

I've built a number of systems, and either got it right by accident, or those boards were marked better.

I'm replacing a fried mobo with a K8T Neo-V. Manual could be better.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
yes there is a rule of thumb.look at the wires.each plug should have two wires each.on all the plugs,one wire is the same color,this is the negative.the colored one is positive.now on the block,if you look closely,you should be able to see a plus(+)sign.a plus means a color lead so just read where you need to plug in at and make sure you got the colors right where they need to be.very easy.have fun.

Dahak

ps.on most cases the common ground is white.

CookEMonster

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Thanx Dahak. I'm a nuclear plumber, not a wirehead. I figured it might be that simple.

I suppose that with a connector with one red, one black - the black wire is the common?

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
doesnt help ive always just guesed, ive only ever had one problem when a incorrect wire went on fire when i plugged in the pc, ive been more careful eversince lol.

CookEMonster

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
It was an Athlon 1800+ upgraded from something else 2 - 3 years ago (I've been stringing the same pieces parts along for a long time now) running WinXP, with two cheapy raid1 drives.

I was quite the geek years ago, but couldn't keep up with the technology and lost some interest in it. Just a hobby, anyway.

Now it is gonna be an Athlon64 3000+. I just found out that it only supports raid1 with SATA drives. My drives aren't SATA, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I want my raid back, but I need to get this POS back quickly so my wife can do her homework :roll:

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
i'm surprised that they haven't developed a standard header to go and connect all of these things, it should be intergrated into the ATX standard or something....

Ara

pat

Expert
It was an Athlon 1800+ upgraded from something else 2 - 3 years ago (I've been stringing the same pieces parts along for a long time now) running WinXP, with two cheapy raid1 drives.

I was quite the geek years ago, but couldn't keep up with the technology and lost some interest in it. Just a hobby, anyway.

Now it is gonna be an Athlon64 3000+. I just found out that it only supports raid1 with SATA drives. My drives aren't SATA, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I want my raid back, but I need to get this POS back quickly so my wife can do her homework :roll:

If you expected to port the RAID array from x brand controller to y brand controller, then sorry. If you did not backup your things, and the board is gone, then it is probably lost...

PATA RAID is supported only with Nvidia own controller on nforce3 or 4. Now, most of the use SATA...

But ...

There is PATA to SATA adaptor. They allow you to run PATA drive on SATA connector. They work good. But, as I said, only same brand controller can be used to recover an array.

Tell a bit more about the spces of your old and current system..

CookEMonster

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
No worries.

It turned out the switch connector was on the wrong pins altogether.

As for the drives, they're configured master and slave, and I just ignore the warning given by the RAID controller (boot software).

In a couple weeks when the computer isn't so necessary (wife's classes are done), I'll install two new SATA drives and go through the whole rigamarole.

Thanques everybody for your help.