installation problem [source disks files error]

I have a clean hard drive and I have been trying to
install windows xp on it. I couldn't get it to install
from the cd so I downloaded the set up disks so that I
could install windows. I used the set up disks and
followed the instructions. When prompted, I inserted my
cd into the cd rom drive. It asked me if I wanted to
reformat the partition or just keep the system files as
is. I kept them as they are. I was given the following
error message: "The following value in the .SIF file used
by setup is corrupted or missing: Value 0 on the line in
section [Source Disks Files] with key "SP1.cab." Set up
cannot continue" Does anyone have any idea what this
means? Is my cd broken? Do I need a replacement? Or are
the set up disks the problem? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

peter

The most likely reason for not being able to start from XP CD(which is Bootable)
is usually the boot order in the BIOS needs to be changed so that the CD is the
1st boot device and upon reboot a message flashes on some systems to push X in
order to boot from CD.
Take a look at this site for more details
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
peter

"Mike Smith" <smithmig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a clean hard drive and I have been trying to
> install windows xp on it. I couldn't get it to install
> from the cd so I downloaded the set up disks so that I
> could install windows. I used the set up disks and
> followed the instructions. When prompted, I inserted my
> cd into the cd rom drive. It asked me if I wanted to
> reformat the partition or just keep the system files as
> is. I kept them as they are. I was given the following
> error message: "The following value in the .SIF file used
> by setup is corrupted or missing: Value 0 on the line in
> section [Source Disks Files] with key "SP1.cab." Set up
> cannot continue" Does anyone have any idea what this
> means? Is my cd broken? Do I need a replacement? Or are
> the set up disks the problem? Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi Mike,

What type of CD is it? Check it for scratches? How was the drive prepared
for installation?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/