KiAreese

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Sorry for the general title, but honestly I hardly know where to begin...

ok, here goes, I built my new system a few months ago.. everything seemed to work fine.. no problems on the first book, windows (XP pro) installed super quick, all the drivers were installed with out issue.. everything is going well.

now, a couple of weeks ago i decided to burn something with my as of yet, unused DvD burner (PLEXTOR 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model PX-740A-BP-BL).. since i had not used it, i didn't bother to install the drivers for the Burner software that came with the mobo (Asus A8N32-Deluxe)... this is when the problems start...

system has to restart after install.. when i does, nohing happens bout a lot of beeping... ok, so i got a mobo error... probably...... its a set of 3 beeps, then a pause then 3... and it repeats like that... I can't find anywhere in my paperwork about this error... so, i turn it off and reboot...

now it boots fine.

ok.. so i continue like this for a couple of weeks.. everyonce and a while i get this error on boot... its annoying, but i figure its a software compability issue and figure ill get around to fixing it... .

so that day comes.. i put a cd in the drive, and the whole system crashes, blue screen of death and all... so now im almost positive its the DvD burner or the software... so i decide to uninstall the software that seemlingly caused the problem..

I still get the error :(

so now i start to think it must be the Burner.. I look around for driver updates... download a few for my sound and video card (Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro and MSI NX6800GS-TD256E Lite Geforce 6800GS, respectively)... now my sound card doesn't work and my computer still has the initial error... this is getting real old at this point.

I decide to use some software i found at the Plexor website (PConpoint) to clean up my computer incase there are fragments from the uninstalled software...

now when i boot up, i get an windows error saying that Hal.dll is missing or corrupt and it needs to be reinstalled... i do that, and windows boots again.. but still no sound..

this is where i get the bright idea to flash the BIOS with the latest version, something i hand't done till now cause everyting was going smooth.. now, i get as far as the windows boot screen and it crashes and reboots...

Im pretty much at a loss on this one, i know there have been complaints about Asus A8N32-Deluxe.. and i was also thinking it could be an issue with the onboard sound confilicting with the sound card.. but so far everyting i have tried has made things worse...

any suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks :)

other information about my system that might be helpful:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB

ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA9N-BK/500 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W

KiAreese

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
quick update.. i reinstalled windows... but it wouldn't detect the burner.. i tired to check bios but it crashes.. and now it wont even boot it just turns on for a sec and turns right back off...

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Take the burner out, check if it's configured correctly. Try running the computer without the burner.
I've seen them do those things when they are bad.

pat

Expert
Return that plextor and for the same price, get 2 benq or LG that would do the same... and you'll have a spare one...

And don't install nvidia IDE drivers.. use MS one instead..

KiAreese

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
well.. i completely disconnected the burner.... and nothign. i still get the same problem.. im actually starting to lean toward the psu.. but it alot of the problems im having now could be related to flashing the bios..

thanks for the suggestions, the only thing that really messes me up about all this is that it worked fine for a couple of months before anything odd started happening...