luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Ok a question for all you mac fanboy's do games like doom 3 play better on a mac with powerpc or with the intel chips?

Intel, The only game that I've played on a mac power pc (non intel) that has even come close is WOW. Otherwise, the intel chips play better.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
and btw, Luminaris is not a mac fanboy, dvdpiddy :p

Actually, I like em but, I just think they're a bit overpriced. I would rather build my own cheaper. My Microsoft certified neighbors as well as my colleagues here at work have macs so I have the luxury of using them all the time without having to buy them :D

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

Actually, I like em but, I just think they're a bit overpriced. I would rather build my own cheaper. My Microsoft certified neighbors as well as my colleagues here at work have macs so I have the luxury of using them all the time without having to buy them :D Btw Luminaris how is the opty? is it serving you well?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

Actually, I like em but, I just think they're a bit overpriced. I would rather build my own cheaper. My Microsoft certified neighbors as well as my colleagues here at work have macs so I have the luxury of using them all the time without having to buy them :D Btw Luminaris how is the opty? is it serving you well?

Yes Mr. Faithful poster, it is serving me very well. I would'nt give it up for the world man. Even if Intel comes out with something better, I'll hang on to it and just build another machine. I'm using all AMDs now. I sold my Intel machine and the only Intels I have now are P3 dells that I use for my folding. Does the name, Katmai ring a bell? One of them has 300Mhz Katmai which runs very well.

BTW, where have you been at bro? :wink:

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

Yes Mr. Faithful poster, it is serving me very well. I would'nt give it up for the world man. Even if Intel comes out with something better, I'll hang on to it and just build another machine. I'm using all AMDs now. I sold my Intel machine and the only Intels I have now are P3 dells that I use for my folding. Does the name, Katmai ring a bell? One of them has 300Mhz Katmai which runs very well.

BTW, where have you been at bro? :wink: first of all thats good second yes i remember the katmai i heard that name when i was 10 from the computer geek in 8th grade in my school who was always getting beaten up and always had no luck with girls but now oh ho ho you dont wanna f**k with him hes a damn good hacker :wink: third dude it was easter and i had to work in my dad's bakery for 3 weeks straight helping with delivery's packing babka's and peeling carrot's and potatoes etc etc man it's good to take a break heres a link to my dad's bakery when he got mentioned in the new york times :D btw luminaris how does it feel to be free of intel brainwashing?

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005

BTW, where have you been at bro? :wink: first of all thats good second yes i remember the katmai i heard that name when i was 10 from the computer geek in 8th grade in my school who was always getting beaten up and always had no luck with girls but now oh ho ho you dont wanna f**k with him hes a damn good hacker :wink: third dude it was easter and i had to work in my dad's bakery for 3 weeks straight helping with delivery's packing babka's and peeling carrot's and potatoes etc etc man it's good to take a break heres a link to my dad's bakery when he got mentioned in the new york times :D btw luminaris how does it feel to be free of intel brainwashing?

So you get to play the soup "bakery" Nazi eh? :lol: (Seinfeld episode for those that are sitting there going, Huh? 8O )

That's cool man. Send me some bagels and croissants! uuummm Glad to see your still around man. Yes, it's good to be free from Intel at the moment. Very pleased with the Opteron dually. Definately need to get some more RAM though. The 2X512s aren't really cuttin it anymore. They're fast but not enough for my hardcore games.

You been keeping up with the whole Conroe/AMD battle at all? It's been a nightmare here. That's why I don't really post much at all anymore.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
1.no i aint no soup/bread nazi (i love that episode too :D )
2.dude i'm catholic so i had to work my ass off yesterday and friday just to keep up with demand todays the first day in which i got some sleep man you don't know how popular our babka's are we sold a little over 10,000 last week and cheese cakes are a whole nother story 8O
3.yeah when i took a break i read some of the stuff you guys were posting funny and sad at the same time
4.dude i'm selling my xp 3200 system for 500 im just keeping the ram 2x512 mb corsair ddr 400 man my system is good it cost me 600 to build but i need the money for am2 and conroe (i'm buying both and then i'll make my opinion :wink: )

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
1.no i aint no soup/bread nazi (i love that episode too :D )
2.dude i'm catholic so i had to work my ass off yesterday and friday just to keep up with demand todays the first day in which i got some sleep man you don't know how popular our babka's are we sold a little over 10,000 last week and cheese cakes are a whole nother story 8O
3.yeah when i took a break i read some of the stuff you guys were posting funny and sad at the same time
4.dude i'm selling my xp 3200 system for 500 im just keeping the ram 2x512 mb corsair ddr 400 man my system is good it cost me 600 to build but i need the money for am2 and conroe (i'm buying both and then i'll make my opinion :wink: )

Kewl deal. I'll come up there and pay a visit and take you up on some of those cheesecakes! :wink:

I sold my Intel machine to make money and room for the next Intel and AMD builds. I want to be able to compare side by side.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If that was on a G4, is it compatible with G5, that could only be faster surely.

(Were the Katmai P3's good or something? I've got a dual Katmai Compaq - 512kb L2 - here at the moment)

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
If that was on a G4, is it compatible with G5, that could only be faster surely.

(Were the Katmai P3's good or something? I've got a dual Katmai Compaq - 512kb L2 - here at the moment)
1.your a mac fanboy right
2.yes they were
3.they were called pII's but were really p3's

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
its not the chips that make the games run "slower" its the OS

OSX isnt a game platform, its a workstation. It lacks Directx support and take into mind that these games are "ported" NOT designed from the ground up to take advantage of the OS.

if the G5 worked on windows it would give the best opteron a run for its money.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Forgot this in the last post:

It lacks Directx support and take into mind that these games are "ported" NOT designed from the ground up to take advantage of the OS.

OS X is built in OpenGL (I think) and i.d. build in OpenGL, or at least I remember reading somewhere about 'how easy it was' for Aspyr to build versions for Mac because of the way they were already programming.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

OSX isnt a game platform, its a workstation. It lacks Directx support and take into mind that these games are "ported" NOT designed from the ground up to take advantage of the OS.

I know macer if windows was on powerpc and x86 at the same time then we could have a great 3 way match imagine an opty 252 clocked at 2.7 ghz versus an ibm g5 at 2.7ghz man who would win :D

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I'm sure it will not help when Windows Vista get out. Lets not forget that MS is dumping OpenGL in favor for DirectX 10. All call to OpenGL will be wrap into DirectX call. They said it would be slower but it would work. Software and Game Dev should start looking at DirectX only solution (for Windows).

So why would someone code a game for OpenGL? Everybody will move to DirectX.

Porting games on OSX-X86 will get harder again, thanks to Microsoft!

side note ...no the OpenGl enviroment is great but it still doesnt make the port an easy one.

with alot of dx9 games running on Linux with no preformance drop I hope to see these sort of applications running on Macs soon.

dvdpiddy I would go for a quad core G5 2.5 would eat an opty, the 2.7ghz are nice but the extra cores are just powerful.

not to mention a g5 server is so much cheaper compaired to ANY x86 server with the same specs or similar too.

I know macer if windows was on powerpc and x86 at the same time then we could have a great 3 way match imagine an opty 252 clocked at 2.7 ghz versus an ibm g5 at 2.7ghz man who would win :D

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
G5 hasn't gone quad core (and won't, now the Intel CPUs are replacing the IBM ones at a rate of knots), it's dual-'dual-core'-CPUs. Still blazing fast, but you need it for what people use PowerMac G5s for (I.E. music + video editing).

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
I'm sure it will not help when Windows Vista get out. Lets not forget that MS is dumping OpenGL in favor for DirectX 10. All call to OpenGL will be wrap into DirectX call. They said it would be slower but it would work. Software and Game Dev should start looking at DirectX only solution (for Windows).

So why would someone code a game for OpenGL? Everybody will move to DirectX.

Porting games on OSX-X86 will get harder again, thanks to Microsoft!

side note ...no the OpenGl enviroment is great but it still doesnt make the port an easy one.

with alot of dx9 games running on Linux with no preformance drop I hope to see these sort of applications running on Macs soon.

dvdpiddy I would go for a quad core G5 2.5 would eat an opty, the 2.7ghz are nice but the extra cores are just powerful.

not to mention a g5 server is so much cheaper compaired to ANY x86 server with the same specs or similar too.

1.dude you a mac fanboy right?
2.what are you talking about if you build it yourself it's cheaper
3..i'll be back in a few hours so if i dont reply soon you'll know why

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
1. im not a fanboy, i worked on a mac during os 9 , now that was a POS in my oppinion. I run a AMD 3500 before that a XP-M 2200

2. its a quad core, i never saying that those cores are on one chip now did I. when you assume you make an ASS of both ME and You.

3. A G5 server is ALOT cheaper concidering that apple sells you an unlimited amount of OSX in one easy to buy pkg. lets note that BIG corperations stay away from software infringment. mac OSN can save a HUGE company THOUSANDS on just OS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832102325
x64 windows server 25 pack 3176.95 usd

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/BizCustom.woa/6054007/wo/Wx2dztRxV5bR2G6bNeVSvEJbKFZ/0.0.0.19.1.0.8.9.2.11.1.1.9.5.0.9
OSX Server UNLIMITED PACK 699.99 usd

which one is cheaper?