Is the 7900gt really worth it?

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Is the Evga 7900gt really all that great?? It's always sold out at newegg and other top site stores. My bro has one, but just curious, is it a good card for about $350? Its's stocked at 500 mhz CORe and 1.5Ghz Ram.
Is it worth the upgrade, in general from any other card?? What features does it have, is it possible to play most games at MAX settings??
I'm just curious, I have a atix1900xtx. Im not planning on down gradding cuz thats just stupid.
ANy info will be appreciated :twisted:

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
You're a moron if you think you should switch cards. You'd be throwing you money away (or maybe its your parents money). That 1900xtx is a tremendous card. There aren't video games that require that much power, give it a year then upgrade to a DX10 card and Vista.

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
You're a moron if you think you should switch cards. You'd be throwing you money away (or maybe its your parents money). That 1900xtx is a tremendous card. There aren't video games that require that much power, give it a year then upgrade to a DX10 card and Vista.

he said he's not going to downgrade. read it, then reply.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

ALL newer video games take ALOT of power to run, i dont know where you got that they dont. i have a 7800gtx, fx 55 , 2 gigs of ram, and games like oblivion, if on full, i get 23 frames on outside environments..thats not alot of power? power to me is running these new games on full, with frames that dont drop below 60, but i guess thats asking too much since society pays 500 bucks for these high end cards that wont run up to par with these new concols "ie 360". Il quote an nvidia rep at my store.."thats marketing"...if video games didnt require that much power, why would they make quad sli? because these games take alot of juice now a days, and they are producing games faster than they can produce hardware that can keep up with it. the last thing i wanna see, after paying 500 bucks for a video card, and 50 bucks for a game, is see a slow down in gun fights, etc etc. even the x1900xtx and 7900gtx isnt a huge upgrade from the 7800 gtx's, you get maybe 12 frames more max in video games today. Wait for the next 2 generations of cards, and thats when you should make your next upgrade, unless you want to spend a grand on 2 video cards in 6 months time.

leexgx

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
i agree lord

i got an 7800 GTX now i more likey do it as an full upgrade (new pc) maybe wait for the 9000 nvidia cards to come out lol

be intresting when the 8000 cards come out (probly DX10 support HW + vista)

toe49

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
well dx10 won't be coming out until windows vista does, which has now been pushed back to 2007. however, knowing microsoft, it'll probably be pushed back to 2008 in 2007 :D

in terms of downgrading, then yes, it would be a huge waste of money, the only card that could possibly beat a x1900xtx is a 7900gtx, but thats only in opengl titles like quake4 or doom3. i mean come on, even the x1800xt beats a 7900gt!

pdiggity

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Yea yea yea, the x1800xt beats the 7900gt, but it doesnt beat the Evga 7900gt KO SC. :twisted:

Actually, the x1800xt beats any out of the box 7900gt -- unless all you rely on is a 3dmark 2006 score. In actual game performance, which is all that really matters, the x1800xt smokes the 7900gt even when it is overclocked. And don't forget, the monster x1800xt (yes, the card is literally huge with obscene airflow capabilities) can voltage mod in software and easily hit 700/1600 without much effort.
Check firesquad for good comparisons of cards. In what I'd say are the three most important games to date to truly compare a cards true game playing power -- F.E.A.R , Call of duty 2 , and Oblivion ; the x1800xt pretty much kills the 7900gt, almost making it seems as if the ATI card is in a whole different class of it's own. So, obviously, the High end ATI offerings are superior in high detail shader intensive new games ; which will continue to be the theme going forward with new games as well.

Sure , that new 7900gt KO looks pretty sweet with the new cooler (which should be stock anyway) -- It still doesn't compare to the turbo jet fan attached to the x1800xt, some folks find it annoying but I don't mind hearing my beast cool down.

It seems this horse has been beaten enough. I'm pretty sure it's been firmly established on these forums that the x1800xt beats the 7900gt -- and since you can find one for $250 , and they are actually in stock, it makes it even better.