Need high CPU processing power and most bang for the buck

DBA_Diver

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I'm running an application which crunshes a lot of numbers. I have 3GB of RAM so that's not an issue, but my CPU is always at 100% (old AMD XP 1800+).

Does anyone have advice on what processor I should get? I was hoping to spend around $300-$400 on the CPU, and wanted whatever would give me the most bang for the buck. I don't play any games on my PC, and this isn't gonig to be used as a server, I just want the best CPU performance possible. Dual core would probably be a plus because I could utilize both processors.

I will be getting a new motherboard as well, so any CPU will work.

Thanks
DBA_Diver

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I'm running an application which crunshes a lot of numbers. I have 3GB of RAM so that's not an issue, but my CPU is always at 100% (old AMD XP 1800+).

Does anyone have advice on what processor I should get? I was hoping to spend around $300-$400 on the CPU, and wanted whatever would give me the most bang for the buck. I don't play any games on my PC, and this isn't gonig to be used as a server, I just want the best CPU performance possible. Dual core would probably be a plus because I could utilize both processors.

Thanks
DBA_Diver
I would recommend an X2 if you prefer AMD or a Pentium D in you prefer Intel.

lonelyalbatros

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006

Thanks
DBA_Diver
I would recommend an X2 if you prefer AMD or a Pentium D in you prefer Intel.agreed

DBA_Diver

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Thanks.. I like the look of the AMD X2 4200+, which seems to fit the price range.

I used to build my own systems but it's been years since I've followed hardware, any suggestions as to a motherboard which would pair will with this CPU? Can that have much effect on performance of the computer when you'll be running it at 100% CPU usage for long periods of time?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
DBA_Diver

I have said CPU and it runs nicely on an Abit KN8-SLi board. I have heard good things about most motherboard manufacturers making midrange and high-end AMD-compatible products too, so I'd recommend any NVIDIA nForce4-chipset board with a passive chipset heatsink that costs over about $100.

Noggin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
If you arn't desperate to get it now I would wait. The new conroe chip from Intel at $309 is looking very like it will be 20%+ faster, use less power and cost 4 times less than the top $1200 AMD chip. I think its set to be released sometime in July but could easily be a bit longer.

If you want to buy now as others have said the AMD x2 xxxx+ is probably your best bet.

Now seems like a bad time to buy a new CPU though IMO.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I would go with the 170-175 Opteron, they use less power at stock, and it is almost garunteed that you can OC the hell out of them. My 165 goes to 2.7 completely stable, and 3ghz into windows(not stable though, I wish 8O )

Noggin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Yeah, you can't really count on Conroe prices until it is released though. Just a thought.... they probably will be up to 20% faster though.

You can't true, and we can't be sure that intel will hit their benchmarks and that amd won't have a decent counter either but all the evidence shows that now is a pretty bad time to buy a new CPU unless you Need one.

Priceing shouldn't change much from what has been announced and the fact that in 3-6 months you should be able to get a significantly faster processer than uses less power and is about 4 times cheaper than the top processors now mean that if you can wait then its a very good idea.

I'm a very impatient person and would love to buy a new PC now but there are too many big changes coming not to wait. Huge Processor boost, windows Vista, Direct x 10, HDCP. I'm positive I'd regret it by the end of the year if I brought one now.

DBA_Diver

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Thanks for all the advice, this is really helpful information.

Unfortunately I can't wait 3-6 months to get one, my current CPU limitations are slowing me down too much because I'm running at 100% CPU usage all the time.

I have no problems with overclocking, so it sounds like Opteron is the best way to go, given that. The 165 is about $330 and the 170 is about $400. I can't find any performance benchmarks of them compared together, is it worth it to get the 170 (for an extra $70?).

What motherboard are popular for overclocked Opterons? I'm not playing any games with it, just going to be running at 100% CPU usage all the time. I have four 1GB sticks of PC3200 RAM and will probably just use that in it, if that's a good idea.

Thanks,
DBA_Diver

rippleyaliens

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I would like to know the answer to that one as well? how is the opteron 170, and its over clocking ability.

ACTUALLY, i am intrested in overclocking as a whole, never done it out of blahhh.. But now, just want to really get into doing somehting sweet... LIke the liquid cooled. My main rig, i use for everything, but for gaming, it is nice, but not what i really envisioned..

darth_farter

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004
Thanks for all the advice, this is really helpful information.

Unfortunately I can't wait 3-6 months to get one, my current CPU limitations are slowing me down too much because I'm running at 100% CPU usage all the time.

I have no problems with overclocking, so it sounds like Opteron is the best way to go, given that. The 165 is about $330 and the 170 is about $400. I can't find any performance benchmarks of them compared together, is it worth it to get the 170 (for an extra $70?).

What motherboard are popular for overclocked Opterons? I'm not playing any games with it, just going to be running at 100% CPU usage all the time. I have four 1GB sticks of PC3200 RAM and will probably just use that in it, if that's a good idea.

Thanks,
DBA_Diver

get the opteron 165 and that extra money you'd spend for the 170 get a good heatsink instead and make sure you get a decent motherboard. overclock and presto! you got yourself a dualcore FX57 (2.8GHz may not be that simple, but it is doable with good cpu/mobo & memory)