Sign in with
Your question

Is Gateway4016 type setup better to buy than build?

Last response: in Systems
April 17, 2006 1:13:54 AM

I think I may be missing something here. Hoping you guys would take a quick looksee at this. The Gateway GT4016 has approximately this configuration with component prices that can be id'd from Newegg

WindowsXP $90
Athlon64 3700 $219
1 GB DDR400 $75
250gb hard drive $80
dvd $37
key &mouse $30
Mobo $100 (no clue about what it is)
warranty ??? (don't no the value)
TOTAL $631 (doesn't include pwr sup & case)
Gateway price = $599

The details are at GT4016 specs
I will add my own vid card and monitor. My concern is that i get a product that is useful and fairly upgradeable for the next 24 months.

Being pretty new to this I wonder if the questions about interfaces/power supply and motherboard make the benefit of getting a less expensive, warranteed, ready mady system worth it. Could this handle a 7900 video card?
I just can't see that I can make this for the same price. What am I missing???
Please let me know your opinion.
Thanks
April 17, 2006 1:48:55 AM

Quote:
Could this handle a 7900 video card?

The only thing, does the mobo have a PCI-E x16 slot? 7900's are PCI-E only, so if it doesn't have a PCI-E slot then your pretty limited, and that could be one reason why it's that cheap.
April 17, 2006 1:54:32 AM

The specs say it has 1 available pci e x16 and 1 available pci e x slot.
Do you know what kind of motherboard Gateway uses?
Related resources
April 17, 2006 2:23:28 AM

Quote:
The specs say it has 1 available pci e x16 and 1 available pci e x slot.
Do you know what kind of motherboard Gateway uses?

Most likely Intel, that's what my past Gateways have been. That means no overclocking if you planned to. I dunno, it seem's like an alright deal, guess it depends what you need it for. Is it refurbished?
April 17, 2006 2:29:51 AM

No it's new. The way I look at it, I save at least $50 (+warranty) on the parts I would have purchased to build it. This $$ can go towards a monitor and video card.
April 17, 2006 2:41:00 AM

Quote:

Hell no; it's probably got a 300 watt power supply. And it's probably a badly designed case with terrible airflow. Build your own.
April 17, 2006 3:24:58 AM

Well from looking at the specs here is what i gather:

Its a generation old motherboard with onboard 6100 graphics... BioStar made these- they sell for about $50.. Not a great start.
The hard drive only had 2MB cache- that means it at least 1.5-2 years old, all drives now have 8MB cache on them. It is probably even SATA.
As Angry_duck says, most like the PSU sucks, and will have trouble with your 7900GT. Oh yeah, you won't be able to overclock one bit, and the system will benchmark roughly 10-15% below a custom rig.

But hell, its dirt cheap, so its your call.
April 17, 2006 3:42:11 AM

Quote:

Hell no; it's probably got a 300 watt power supply. And it's probably a badly designed case with terrible airflow. Build your own.

Not necessarily, most gateways are BTX form factor and have better case airflow then brands like say Sony (look at their RD line if you don’t believe me) or Dell!

If you noticed Ducky he said the build cost of 631.00 was without a case or power supply, so factoring those in the build cost would be closer to 700. He can pick up a good 430w+ PSU for 45.00 if he needed to upgrade once he got a new GPU.

Some of those mass produced machines cant be beat (price wise)

What is probably happening here is that this item is last years model and its about to reach whats called "end of life" which means the item is dipping so far below original MSRP that they will stand to loose money off each unit if they dont move them soon. Thus offering killer deals on those items. Or they just have a surplus.
April 18, 2006 12:44:41 AM

Yeah, it's basically a case of me staying a generation behind and benefitting from the price drop to get some needed items.
I imagine some of this stuff is being sold at cost just to get it unloaded.
Interesting conundrum.
April 18, 2006 1:35:12 AM

Anyone who gives a damn about PC performance should not buy, period. Building will cost you more, but you get a superior product.

I got my HP a year ago, when i was a total noob, and I've had nothing but problems with it.
The case was crappy with no front fan, and bad airflow, so the P4 idled at 48C and got up to about 60C under load. After running like this for a couple months, it started shutting down at random.

I've put it in a new case, applied AS5 and put a new CPU cooler, neither of which solved the problem. The CPU and board are fried, and now I'm out another $350 replacing those along with the power supply, which I don't trust; it's a no-name brand. I'm going to stop my story here because it's depressing to me.
April 18, 2006 1:37:07 AM

I have always had better luck building. At least you know you aren't getting proprietary parts. I'd check out systems from other vendors in your price range also. The last Gateway I had was given to a friend, and he later shot it repeatedly. I don't give him kittens.
Good Luck
April 18, 2006 1:45:10 AM

Ok, give me a bit.

[rant]
I don't even know why people come on here and ask this question. I mean, they know we will tell them not to. This is a HOMEBUILT forum. Come on, give me a break, do they think we will say, yeah, go ahead, buy the crappy Gateway. I MEAN, ITS GATEWAY!
[/rant]

Ok, now that I'm calm again.

DON'T BUY THAT COMPUTER.

Hehe, yeah, I was calm there for a bit, but man, this just makes me mad.

Spitting mad.

*spit*

No, really, it probably as always, has crappy RAM, a crappy HDD that is likely to fail, lots of crappy software on it, a crappy plastic case, crappy cooling, its loud, and it definetly has a crappy motherboard.

SO NO, DON'T BUY

:D 

You know, mabye I should have just kept this whole post in the rant tags.

DDay
April 18, 2006 1:46:41 AM

Quote:
Ok, give me a bit.

[rant]
I don't even know why people come on here and ask this question. I mean, they know we will tell them not to. This is a HOMEBUILT forum. Come on, give me a break, do they think we will say, yeah, go ahead, buy the crappy Gateway. I MEAN, ITS GATEWAY!
[/rant]

DON'T BUY THAT COMPUTER.

Spitting mad.

*spit*

No, really, it probably as always, has crappy RAM, a crappy HDD that is likely to fail, lots of crappy software on it, a crappy plastic case, crappy cooling, its loud, and it definetly has a crappy motherboard.

SO NO, DON'T BUY

DDay

Down boy, or I am sending the cow after you!
April 18, 2006 1:49:53 AM

NOOOOO, NOT COWS!!!!!!!!!!!

*off in the distance you hear the sound of a MOOOOOOO*

NOOOOOOOOO, DON'T LET THEM GET ME!
April 18, 2006 1:52:09 AM

Quote:
NOOOOO, NOT COWS!!!!!!!!!!!

*off in the distance you hear the sound of a MOOOOOOO*

NOOOOOOOOO, DON'T LET THEM GET ME!

Remember, its the Gateway cow, so its probably malnurished from that cheap food they fed him for years which is about the quality of one of their builds.
April 18, 2006 1:56:34 AM

Oh god, for a minute there I thought it was going to eat me.

*SHUDDER*

But, I guess, if it really is the gateway cow, I can come out of my bomb shelter. You better not be tricking me shadow!

Grrrrrr!!

GRRRRR GRRRRR :""_{}|#$!##@

I can now talk in punctuation marks, and that MEANS I'M ANGRY.

ANGRY

Hehe, no, really, you better not be tricking me.

DDay
April 18, 2006 1:56:43 AM

To be fair to Gateway, they DO make a lovely cardboard box.
The contents are just a bit sad.
April 18, 2006 1:59:24 AM

Quote:
To be fair to Gateway, they DO make a lovely cardboard box.
The contents are just a bit sad.

It makes a fun toy for the kids to play in, its realy too bad the PC is not worth using that comes IN the box.
April 18, 2006 2:02:26 AM

Its also good to be used as a stress reliever. Its just funny that you would get one really, I mean, you can get one of those ball stress relievers for like 5 bucks!

DDay
April 18, 2006 2:04:02 AM

In my house, $5 is the price of stupidity.
Anything dumb I buy under $5 is forgiven.
April 18, 2006 4:53:13 AM

Quote:
Ok, give me a bit.

[rant]
[/rant]

DON'T BUY THAT COMPUTER.

Spitting mad.

*spit*

SO NO, DON'T BUY

DDay

Rawr Dash... Just rawr...

Remember that lots of people that come here are real n00bs +1. Remember that just a month or two ago, you were a n00b +2 on all of this. Remember that I was n00b enough to buy a dell 5 or 6 months ago and now I know enough to build and unbuild systems and fix most things that come in my way. If I was a real n00bly person and came to this forum looking for help, since there isn't a "pre-built systems" section, the first place I'd go is here, since it deals with whole systems. And to take his side, he IS gonna put in some other ingredients. Now I can see why you wanted to get out of the house, i guess peoples parent's can actually be THAT bad.

*side note:* don't worry ppl, i'm good friends with this guy so I can bug him all I want, don't think I'm picking on him :lol:  .

Anyhoo,

If you're actually looking for preformance, then I'd probably not get this computer. If you're looking for budget preformance and aren't able to make your own, then I guess this'll do. Just don't expect anything special and you won't be able to overclock at all, they lock EVERYTHING. And always remember, you get what you pay for.
April 18, 2006 5:13:05 AM

Quote:
And always remember, you get what you pay for.

No you don't clay.

You get much less. MUCH MUCH LESS.

And yes, he has the right to be a b*tch to me.

And me to him.

Hehe.

Of course I really don't have anything to argue with what he said, I mean, yes I was a n00b +2, but its NOT MY FAULT.

I have been, and I continue to be a mac user, and we don't have to worry about this kind of shit, so, yes, I've learnt everything I know about this stuff in the last few months.

So, for all you n00bs, stick around, learn stuff, and have FUN.

And go into BF2 and get you ass kicked.

YAY n00bs!!!!!

It wouldn't be the same without you there.

*TEABAGS CLAY*

DDay
April 19, 2006 2:53:31 AM

Oh, and also, those warranties are crap. Think about it, you get 2-5 year warranties on products you buy, compared to what, a 1 yr at best warranty from companies like that? Also, like everyone said, cheap ram, m/b, heatsink cooler (a lot of times worse than stock) etc. And they look worse than most cases you can buy as well. If you really add up the cost of building an equivalent system, it wouldn't be much more (if you figure the m/b costs more like $50 rather than $100, and the ram, oh god I don't even want to think about how cheap that is). Build it period.
!