Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

advice on build...Wait?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 17, 2006 1:39:52 AM

hi, i am building a new computer and want it for video editing and some games. i want it to last a while though, and be able to upgrade it nicely.
However, im worried about its upgradeability because of the new stuff like am2 coming out soon.

here is the current hardware that im thinking about ordering

CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
HARD DRIVE: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Driv
Optical Drive: LiteOn SHM-165H6S 16X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology (Black Color)



If i want this computer to last a long time and be able to upgrade, its probably worth it to wait right?

my whole computer right now with everything costs about $1200. if i wait for am2 could i get a computer of equal quality to the one im building right now for the same price?

would you wait or go for it right now?

thanks alot

More about : advice build wait

April 17, 2006 1:43:23 AM

Quote:
hi, i am building a new computer and want it for video editing and some games. i want it to last a while though, and be able to upgrade it nicely.
However, im worried about its upgradeability because of the new stuff like am2 coming out soon.

here is the current hardware that im thinking about ordering

CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
HARD DRIVE: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Driv
Optical Drive: LiteOn SHM-165H6S 16X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology (Black Color)



If i want this computer to last a long time and be able to upgrade, its probably worth it to wait right?

my whole computer right now with everything costs about $1200. if i wait for am2 could i get a computer of equal quality to the one im building right now for the same price?

would you wait or go for it right now?

thanks alot


Don't wait, unless you want to pay more for the next-gen stuff. Socket 939 stuff should drop when AM2 comes out, so it's a matter of if you can't wait for a new PC or if you have patience.

~~Mad Mod Mike, fixin' the world 1 rig at a time
April 17, 2006 1:45:12 AM

Quote:

my whole computer right now with everything costs about $1200. if i wait for am2 could i get a computer of equal quality to the one im building right now for the same price?


I kinda doubt it, with AM2 you will need to use DDR2 memory, which costs more, and usually when a new socket is released, they cost quite a bit. It usually takes awhile for the prices to drop. I would build it now, if you keep waiting for new technology, you will always be waiting forever. Once AM2 is released, I'm sure that AMD will be talking about a new upcoming core for it, then you will be waiting for that. Just build it now.
Related resources
April 17, 2006 1:47:41 AM

how long do you think it will last? will it still be able to upgrade in a few years?
April 17, 2006 1:52:40 AM

The CPU probably won't be upgradeable, as far as I know they will only be making new CPU's for the AM2 interface. But you will beable to upgrade to the higher end S939 at a cheaper prices probably, as well as getting more memory. No other platforms will be utilizing DDR as far as I know. The videocard should be upgradeable, unless they release PCI-E2 or something crazy like that lol. But once you want to move to AM2, that means new motherboard, processor, and RAM. I guess it really depends on how long you can wait.
April 17, 2006 1:56:52 AM

thanks for the replys 8)

how long do you think it will last though, before i have to completely buy a new setup?

im building from cyberpower this is what i have configured

Gamer Ultra SLI Pro (NO MONITOR)


*BASE_PRICE: [+1745]
CAS: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control [-74] (Silver Color)
CASUPGRADE: NONE
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+54]
CD: NONE [-14]
CD2: LiteOn SHM-165H6S 16X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology [+17] (Black Color)
CABLE: None
FLASHMEDIA: None
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BEIGE COLOR)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [-50]
HDD: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
HDD2: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard (Black Color)
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL [-16] (Special!!! BEIGE COLOR MICROSOFT USB INTELLIMOUSE)
MONITOR: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
MODEM: NONE
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 [-15]
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
PRO_WIRING: None
POWERSUPPLY: Antec TPII-550 550Watt ATX 12V Power Supply [+45]
RAID: NONE
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SOFT: Microsoft® Works v8.0
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: Logitech S100 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set [-90] (BLACK COLOR)
TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
TVRC: None
UPS: None
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBHD: NONE
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
VIDEO: NEW !!! NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
VIDEO2: NONE [-290]
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
WAP: NONE
ZIP: NONE
_PRICE: (+1312)



ps: do you think that this is the best deal i can get for the money right now? from new egg its more money than this

pss: i would like a new comp now, but i can wait untill summer if you were in my shoes would it be worth the wait?

thanks
April 17, 2006 2:56:42 AM

Get an opty 165 for 327 or a 170 for 400. You can get the 165 up too an fx-60 and the 170 goes even higher. Some thing like this or what you are getting should last a very long time. My old system even tho i upgreaded it form a 1800Xp to a 2500xp Barton lasted for 4 years or so. And that wasnt a high end like the one i have now or the close to the one your making.
April 17, 2006 3:15:17 AM

Buy the stuff off of newegg and build it yourself. Then overclock it. The end.
April 17, 2006 3:19:30 AM

Quote:
thanks for the replys 8)

how long do you think it will last though, before i have to completely buy a new setup?

im building from cyberpower this is what i have configured

Gamer Ultra SLI Pro (NO MONITOR)


*BASE_PRICE: [+1745]
CAS: Hot New! X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control [-74] (Silver Color)
CASUPGRADE: NONE
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+54]
CD: NONE [-14]
CD2: LiteOn SHM-165H6S 16X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology [+17] (Black Color)
CABLE: None
FLASHMEDIA: None
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BEIGE COLOR)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS [-50]
HDD: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
HDD2: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard (Black Color)
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL [-16] (Special!!! BEIGE COLOR MICROSOFT USB INTELLIMOUSE)
MONITOR: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
MODEM: NONE
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/1000 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition w/ Service Pack 2 [-15]
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
PRO_WIRING: None
POWERSUPPLY: Antec TPII-550 550Watt ATX 12V Power Supply [+45]
RAID: NONE
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SOFT: Microsoft® Works v8.0
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: Logitech S100 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set [-90] (BLACK COLOR)
TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
TVRC: None
UPS: None
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBHD: NONE
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
VIDEO: NEW !!! NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card
VIDEO2: NONE [-290]
WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card
WAP: NONE
ZIP: NONE
_PRICE: (+1312)



ps: do you think that this is the best deal i can get for the money right now? from new egg its more money than this

pss: i would like a new comp now, but i can wait untill summer if you were in my shoes would it be worth the wait?

thanks


Don't wait unless you want to go with Conroe in September. AM2 is meh and won't really anything except raise the cost of systems due to DDR-2. Now of course S939 will come down when AM2 comes out, but probably not by that much. You could always buy one of the AsROCK boards that say they can be upgraded to AM2. Will be amusing to see how they handle DDR-2 RAM since it has more pins.

Anyway.. as for your system listed... lets see here:

Case- keep it - $69 at Newegg - same case just no PSU- why buy 2?
CPU: Optern 165 - $327 better overclocker, and full 1MB cache per core
Lite-On DVD-burner with LS- $45.99
Black Floppy Drive- $7.99
Seagate 300GB SATA II HD 16MB cache- $135.00
Basic Logitech Keyboard- $10
Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse (I have one- it amazing)- $46.89
DFI Lanparty Ultra D motherboard- $122
Corsair XMS 2GB RAM (2 cls)
Antec Truepower II 550W (now the case comes with a PSU too- so i guess you can sell it?) $99.00
Logitech S100 speakers $7.00
Geforce 7900GT video card XFX-$319.00
XP Home - $90

Yep, you are right.. the Cyberpower system is a good deal! However, my system does have several advantages:

1) Opteron 165- better CPU/better OC
2) Probably a better motherboard, certainly for O/Cing
3) MUCH better RAM
4) The G5 is cool
5) My system only comes with 1 PSU- the case has no PSU in it..
6) Bah its $1463.00 :( 
April 17, 2006 4:55:46 AM

hey thanks for that list, its awesome and i wish i could get that lol. unfortounatly i don't have that kind of money rite now and with shipping and taxes its over my budget.

what do you think i should knock off that or change to lower it down abit to around 1300? is the xms alot better than the value select? and would i need better cooling for that if i was to overclock it?

thanks alot
April 17, 2006 5:19:43 AM

you can still get a well performing system for $1300 :D 
Just all matters if you shop smart and if you know what parts to get/
Other than that looks good.
Good Luck- :twisted:
April 17, 2006 2:14:49 PM

Quote:
hey thanks for that list, its awesome and i wish i could get that lol. unfortounatly i don't have that kind of money rite now and with shipping and taxes its over my budget.

what do you think i should knock off that or change to lower it down abit to around 1300? is the xms alot better than the value select? and would i need better cooling for that if i was to overclock it?

thanks alot


Well XMS overclocks much better then ValueRAM and is only $40 more expensive. THe timings are also much lower. The biggest way to lower the cost would be to pick up something like a 7600GT video card, and then upgrade to a DX10 card once Vista comes out. The 7600 can handle most of today's games with ease.

Edit: something like this.. its $209 before a $10 MIR :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130284
April 17, 2006 2:45:00 PM

This seems to be a popular theme in this forum build or wait? Hmmm...
April 17, 2006 2:58:50 PM

I would say not too get the memory from cyberpower and get it from newegg. It will save you 100+ and get better memory. Just to let you know i am getting almost the same system and I too am waiting for the AM2 platform to come out to get better prices on the current stuff now. This is my setup from cyberpower:

CAS: X-BLADE Mid-Tower 450W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display + FAN CONTROL [+5] (SILVER COLOR)
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+73]
CD: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
CABLE: None
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
FLOPPY: NONE
FAN: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS [+59]
HDD: 200GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive -- Recommended [+31]
HDD2: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BEIGE COLOR)
MOUSE: PS2 INTERNET MOUSE W/ WHEEL (Special!!! BEIGE COLOR MICROSOFT USB INTELLIMOUSE)
MONITOR: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)Asus A8N-E nForce4 Chipset SATA133 RAID PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio [+36]
MEMORY: 256 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY [-20] (Corsair Value Select)
MODEM: NONE
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
RAID: NONE
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: NONE [-5]
TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
TVRC: None
UPS: None
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBHD: NONE
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
VIDEO: NEW !!! NVIDIA Geforce 7900 GT 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card [+308]
VIDEO2: NONE
WNC: NONE
WAP: NONE
ZIP: NONE
_PRICE: (+1205)

Also, with the memory i would go with 4x 512 sticks for better performance. Look at the reviews that test the 2x 1Gb sticks and will see that the 512 will get better scores.

Are you looking to overclock your entire system or, just the cpu?
April 17, 2006 6:12:33 PM

When AM2 comes out, prices will not fall that much. Prebuilt joints will stop offering S939 soultions and ONLY sell AM2 gear. You might save 5-10% but are going to not have a better PC until July or so.

Edit: They might not stop selling them completely, but S939 will end up in the "value" system with nice onboard video, cheaper motherboard, etc.
April 17, 2006 11:53:23 PM

how much better is the opteron 165 than the 4200?

does the cyberpower system seem like a really good deal? or should i build it myself from newegg or some place?
April 18, 2006 12:55:23 AM

Quote:
how much better is the opteron 165 than the 4200?

does the cyberpower system seem like a really good deal? or should i build it myself from newegg or some place?


Stock Opteron 165 is slower than a 4200+ except it has twice the cache. However the Opteron is so easy to overclock, that it more than makes up for it.
April 18, 2006 1:16:54 AM

so, after overclockiing, the opteron has a good deal of difference over the 4200?

would u recommend staying with cyberpower or building one from scratch?

ps: how about downgrading the ram to one gig and keeping the 7900? then i could upgrade the extra gig when i have the money?


thanks

edit: ive never overclocked before...how hard is it u think to overclock the opteron i don't want to mess it up.
April 18, 2006 1:57:47 AM

Quote:
so, after overclockiing, the opteron has a good deal of difference over the 4200?

would u recommend staying with cyberpower or building one from scratch?

ps: how about downgrading the ram to one gig and keeping the 7900? then i could upgrade the extra gig when i have the money?


thanks

edit: ive never overclocked before...how hard is it u think to overclock the opteron i don't want to mess it up.


Building is always better than buying.

PS: That would be ok...

Edit: There are several good guides on Toms and the Internet, if you are careful and go a little bit at a time, its not hard. You have only a small risk of blowing something up unless try to clock it by 300MHz in one shot.
April 18, 2006 2:04:48 AM

buy it now so you can have fun next week. you wont regret
April 18, 2006 5:54:17 AM

hey, could you take a look at this list of stuff? i changed a few things and downgraded the gfx card to stay with in my budget. here are the specs



LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ LightScribe
$45.95


ASPIRE X-CRUISE -BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -
$69.00

SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/
$6.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial
$86.00

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
$178.00

eVGA 256-P2-N386-AX Geforce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express
$179.00

Antec TruePower 2.0 TRUECONTROL II-550 ATX12V 550W Power
$99.99

Logitech Internet Pro 967450-0403 Black PS/2 Wired Standard
$9.98

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$5.99

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC
$189.00

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
$400.00

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM


total after rebates shipping, taxes = 1450...(little over budget but idk, i may bite the bullet. i upgraded the processor and the motherboard is this necessary?

what other changes ect. should i do to this?

thanks
April 18, 2006 6:58:28 AM

Ahem, I hate to push Intel in AMD crowd, but for upgradability, Intel owns all now. Conroe will obviously kill the ARRIVING K8 AM2's, and until AMD gets K10 on AM2, it shouldn't be competitive at all. Let's not turn this into a Conroe vs AM2 argument, but lets face it: Conroe will work on any Intel board that supports Intel's current dual-core processors. That's a wide range of boards open for the next big thing. It might be worth your time getting a cheap Celeron, overclocking to 4ghz and waiting anxiously for Conroe. In the meantime, you can keep DDR2 and your current motherboard. Intel 955's and 975's are a good choice IMO.
If you have to get now, 939 wins. Also, keep in mind DDR2 is DIRT CHEAP for now so your investment will be well-put if you switch to AM2 or buy a Conroe.
April 19, 2006 12:32:14 AM

It will last as long as you'll be fine with its performances. Newer parts don't necessary mean that the older will quit working right when the new will be available..

Once you'll be tired to crank down the details in games, then it will be time to get a new 9900GTX nvidia or xx1900xtx ATI..
April 19, 2006 12:44:41 AM

for the intel one, what kind of rig do you suggest?

does anyone else agree that it would be wise to get an intel and wait for the newer intel processors?

thank you for yoour help and patience
April 19, 2006 12:51:02 AM

Quote:
for the intel one, what kind of rig do you suggest?

does anyone else agree that it would be wise to get an intel and wait for the newer intel processors?

thank you for yoour help and patience


I never advise on Intel because I'm the one that would be flamed because of overheating or performance loss..

I, for now, always use AMD in every computer I built and sell since Prescott make its first showup.. 2-3 years of trouble free computer that allow me to sleep better.

Sorry for not being that helpful
April 19, 2006 12:55:19 AM

ur fine help, and this forum is helping me out a lot.

do you think that the conroe is going to be better than an opteron?
the reason im looking into the conroe now is because i really would like to have my comp be upgradeable for a while, i know that the athlon should be good, but im about to spend some money and want to make sure its a good time investment

thanks
April 19, 2006 1:27:29 AM

Quote:
ur fine help, and this forum is helping me out a lot.

do you think that the conroe is going to be better than an opteron?
the reason im looking into the conroe now is because i really would like to have my comp be upgradeable for a while, i know that the athlon should be good, but im about to spend some money and want to make sure its a good time investment

thanks


What if the Athlon you get now is good enough even after Conroe? When peoples ask me for a computer, I just get them one. I don't say:" Wait 5-6-7 month.. there will be something better.." I just get them one nice.. and they start to use it now.. and are happy now. and have fun now. and don't care about tomorrow. and when it won't be enough, then I'll get them something better. With what's available at the moment.

Computer built today, with performing parts will be good for some time for sure.. The Athlon 64 3000+ is now some years old, and still adequate for most of the task. In game, video card matter. And unless PCI-e standard quit next week, I doubt you'll be stuck without anyway to upgrade soon.

Maybe Conroe will be good. but that don't means that anything else will be bad. I'm sure my 3000+ will still be good enough. My x1600xt could be outdated thou. with the newergame yest to be released.. I don't care.. I could even be dead by then.. and so you.. without having got the time to play with performance system before.. What a shame!
April 19, 2006 3:17:21 AM

what hardware do you suggest for the intel build? im still debating if i should get an opteron or if i should build an intel comp, and later upgrade the processor.

any ideas?

also how is the opteron build i posted?
April 19, 2006 3:29:42 AM

That setup is more than enough for editing video and playing games. Besides a graphics card upgrade is the best way to get a preformance increase thats really noticeable.
April 19, 2006 4:50:47 AM

Quote:
for the intel one, what kind of rig do you suggest?

does anyone else agree that it would be wise to get an intel and wait for the newer intel processors?

thank you for yoour help and patience

I think so because AM2 release will be a joke, and because Conroe is the next big thing coming along. If you want to go that route, an Intel 955/975 chipset on an ASUS board is the best way to go, with maybe a P'D 805 or Cedar Mill for the time being.
975: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
955: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
If you want to save even more money, getting a Celeron and overclocking isn't a bad idea either.
Here's some DDR2 memory worth looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
Good cheap DDR2-667, Tomshardware tested it and said it would overclock and perform nicely on a budget.
April 20, 2006 1:26:09 AM

hi, ive got some parts that i picked off newegg for an intel to upgrade. right now i have no problem to wait untill june to build a system, but i don't really want to wait much more after that. but still, the sooner the better. i like the opteron rig configured but i do not want it to get blown away by intels new release in a few months. if the opteron was upgradable to the new socket am2 then i wouldnt be worried. (someone in another forum mentioned something aboout a socket adapter for 939 that would allow am2 processors? this seems false..is it?)

anyways here is the intel one i have, it seems a high price and if i choose the intel route i want to try and pay only about 1 grand for this one, and have the extra 3-400 dollars for a conroe. at this rig right now, it seems too high. open to advice, also how good of a system is this actually? can it play games and edit video fairly well? thanks

(the motherboard is expensive but it looks like it has some very nice features, is this still overkill though)


ASPIRE X-CRUISE -BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -

$69.00

ASUS P5WD2-E Premium Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$220.99

eVGA 256-P2-N563-AX Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express

$319.00
(this card is too expensive if i want to stay within my budget to get a conroe, is a 7600 still a good card? the games i want to play arn't that many but i like age of empires 3, call of duty 2, battle for middle earth... will the 7300 be able to play these at high graphics? do you recommend a didfferent card?)

Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply -

$89.99

Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor Model BX80551PE2666FN - Retail

$134.00
(is this a decent processor, i know i will upgrade to conroe, but in the time being will it be able to play games well and edit video ok? is it overclockable?)

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4 - Retail

$238.00
(seeems pretty expensive, i can get it, but one gig is alot cheaper what do you suggest?)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
$86.00

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM

$45.99

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
$63.99
(if i go with the intel route, and overclock the cheap processor i have now, do i need this fan? i chose this one cause it came with a deal with something is there a better one for the same price?)

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM
$89.95 $89.95
Subtotal: $1,356.91
(without a cheaper card it would go down alot, i really don't want to pay much more than around a grand for this. however, i doubt that this comp is gonna be very good until i upgrade to conroe right? if it is still pretty good before conroe then i would look into raising the budget.


thankyou alot im open to alot of suggestions thanks for helping
April 20, 2006 1:56:11 AM

Quote:
hi, ive got some parts that i picked off newegg for an intel to upgrade. right now i have no problem to wait untill june to build a system, but i don't really want to wait much more after that. but still, the sooner the better. i like the opteron rig configured but i do not want it to get blown away by intels new release in a few months. if the opteron was upgradable to the new socket am2 then i wouldnt be worried. (someone in another forum mentioned something aboout a socket adapter for 939 that would allow am2 processors? this seems false..is it?)

anyways here is the intel one i have, it seems a high price and if i choose the intel route i want to try and pay only about 1 grand for this one, and have the extra 3-400 dollars for a conroe. at this rig right now, it seems too high. open to advice, also how good of a system is this actually? can it play games and edit video fairly well? thanks

(the motherboard is expensive but it looks like it has some very nice features, is this still overkill though)


ASPIRE X-CRUISE -BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case -

$69.00

ASUS P5WD2-E Premium Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$220.99

eVGA 256-P2-N563-AX Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express

$319.00
(this card is too expensive if i want to stay within my budget to get a conroe, is a 7600 still a good card? the games i want to play arn't that many but i like age of empires 3, call of duty 2, battle for middle earth... will the 7300 be able to play these at high graphics? do you recommend a didfferent card?)

Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply -

$89.99

Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor Model BX80551PE2666FN - Retail

$134.00
(is this a decent processor, i know i will upgrade to conroe, but in the time being will it be able to play games well and edit video ok? is it overclockable?)

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-5400c4 - Retail

$238.00
(seeems pretty expensive, i can get it, but one gig is alot cheaper what do you suggest?)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
$86.00

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM

$45.99

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
$63.99
(if i go with the intel route, and overclock the cheap processor i have now, do i need this fan? i chose this one cause it came with a deal with something is there a better one for the same price?)

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM
$89.95 $89.95
Subtotal: $1,356.91
(without a cheaper card it would go down alot, i really don't want to pay much more than around a grand for this. however, i doubt that this comp is gonna be very good until i upgrade to conroe right? if it is still pretty good before conroe then i would look into raising the budget.


thankyou alot im open to alot of suggestions thanks for helping

My recommendations are: go down in mobo to 955, and get a Cedar Mill 631, which overclocks like crazy. Look into a better CPU cooler or just keep stock. The Zalman isn't a fantastic performer, actually. The Intel 805 is good for the money, but only if you overclock it to get at least 3.4. A 2.66 Netburst product? Come on Intel, nobody would keep that thing at stock. One gig might be good to get till you can upgrade; there is essentially no penalty to upgrading to 4 dimm's in Intel system, unlike AMD. Corsair ram is overrated, get some DDR2-667 Aeneon. Believe it or not, it is pretty nice according to Tomshardware. The video card is worth it. I'd try to hold onto that.
April 20, 2006 2:12:54 AM

ok i downgraded it with your suggestions and got one gig of the ram you suggested. how good of a system is this right now? can it play games well at good graphics? it probably doesnt compete with the opteron but, how is it compared to it? also is the amd socket adapter thing a lie?

thanks
April 20, 2006 2:46:36 AM

Quote:
ok i downgraded it with your suggestions and got one gig of the ram you suggested. how good of a system is this right now? can it play games well at good graphics? it probably doesnt compete with the opteron but, how is it compared to it? also is the amd socket adapter thing a lie?

thanks

The socket adapter is the biggest bunch of BS I've heard today.
Depending on how much you overclock that system, it could be faster than the Opty (considering most games are single threaded)
A 7900gt will run almost any game at fantastic levels, also.
April 20, 2006 2:57:14 AM

If you want an AMD system and an upgrade path then wait till next month for AM2. When you are ready to upgrade (multicore?) all you will need is the AM2 chip. If you build a socket 939 system and want to upgrade, you will need an AM2 chip...and a new mobo...and DDR2. The AM2 chips are only going to be ~$5 more than the 939 equivalent.

If you want an Intel system wait till July when Conroe is launched. Is that $1200-$1500 burning a hole in your pocket that you can't wait 1 - 3 months. :wink:
April 20, 2006 4:39:00 PM

Quote:
for the intel one, what kind of rig do you suggest?

does anyone else agree that it would be wise to get an intel and wait for the newer intel processors?

thank you for yoour help and patience

I think so because AM2 release will be a joke, and because Conroe is the next big thing coming along. If you want to go that route, an Intel 955/975 chipset on an ASUS board is the best way to go, with maybe a P'D 805 or Cedar Mill for the time being.


The only chipsets that will support Conroe are the i975 and i965 (which will be released the same time as Conroe).
April 20, 2006 4:41:00 PM

Quote:
for the intel one, what kind of rig do you suggest?

does anyone else agree that it would be wise to get an intel and wait for the newer intel processors?

thank you for yoour help and patience

I think so because AM2 release will be a joke, and because Conroe is the next big thing coming along. If you want to go that route, an Intel 955/975 chipset on an ASUS board is the best way to go, with maybe a P'D 805 or Cedar Mill for the time being.


The only chipsets that will support Conroe are the i975 and i965 (which will be released the same time as Conroe).
Actually, I'm pretty sure all of the dual-core supporting chipsets will support it. This includes the 955's and the 945's. And why shouldn't they? All that Conroe needs is less voltage to run normally; and since overvolting isn't going to hurt it anyway, what difference does it make?
April 21, 2006 4:41:16 AM

i heard a rumor that the conroe may be moved up to sometime around june or july to be released. what is the estimated time for the release of the conroe? if it is in june then i would wait but not much longer than that. also when conroe is "released" does this mean it will be avaliable on newegg or a site like taht? or not for at least a few months after that?

thanks
April 21, 2006 5:08:47 AM

Quote:
i heard a rumor that the conroe may be moved up to sometime around june or july to be released. what is the estimated time for the release of the conroe? if it is in june then i would wait but not much longer than that. also when conroe is "released" does this mean it will be avaliable on newegg or a site like taht? or not for at least a few months after that?

thanks

I keep hearing July. Considering Intel's huge mass-production capabilities, I would be willing to bet that the chips will be widely available on release.
April 21, 2006 5:46:51 AM

Quote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure all of the dual-core supporting chipsets will support it. This includes the 955's and the 945's. And why shouldn't they? All that Conroe needs is less voltage to run normally; and since overvolting isn't going to hurt it anyway, what difference does it make?


Why would Intel want older chipsets to support Conroe if they will be releasing the 965 when Conroe debut? While it is technically possible for older chipsets to support Conroe, they will need a BIOS update.

A BIOS update will hurt sales of the 965 and 975 chipset. At the very least it does not make business sense. There maybe technical reasons why older chipsets may not be able to support Conroe beyond a mere BIOS update.
April 21, 2006 6:04:12 AM

Quote:

Actually, I'm pretty sure all of the dual-core supporting chipsets will support it. This includes the 955's and the 945's. And why shouldn't they? All that Conroe needs is less voltage to run normally; and since overvolting isn't going to hurt it anyway, what difference does it make?


Why would Intel want older chipsets to support Conroe if they will be releasing the 965 when Conroe debut? While it is technically possible for older chipsets to support Conroe, they will need a BIOS update.

A BIOS update will hurt sales of the 965 and 975 chipset. At the very least it does not make business sense. There maybe technical reasons why older chipsets may not be able to support Conroe beyond a mere BIOS update.
965 is going to be one of Intel's mainstream chipsets, meaning it will be built for low-cost. Besides, Intel wants to take back the CPU sector and regain lost ground from AMD. They make all their money in that area too.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/03/10/bridge_creek_co...
If that article is correct, who's to say 955's or 945's won't be any different?
Intel's chipsets are hardly different. For example, the 975's are simply 955's specially selected for the high-end market. 955's are just speically selected 945's with added support for dual PCI express slots.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/2006040...
Then again, though, some modding to the motherboard itself may be necessary since Conroe will use low voltage.
April 21, 2006 6:30:46 AM

I say it's really too early to speculate on what chipset will support Conroe or not. Kinda like those Conroe teaser benchmarks. While it seems reasonable that Conroe can beat an overclocked Athlon 64 FX-60 because it can execute 4 instructions per cycle, 1 more than Athlon, I rather wait for reviews from trusted hardware sites. I cannot find an article that explicitly states that Conroe will only run on the 975 and 965 chipset.
!