VoIP bandwidth

Hi cdv!

How much traffic is caused by VoIP?
I know that there are many codecs in use therefore I give you some
more information:

I'm working with the German 'Fritz!Box Fon' and plan to use
http://www.sipgate.de as VoIP provider.

On their website they say that the data traffic is about 100 MB per
hour so it should be about 300 kbps.

Is it obvious from this information what codec is used?
Is this traffic calculation realistic?

Why did my DSL-Provider calculate about 4-6 MB per minute when I
talked to the hotline?

Thanks for any advice!

--
Regards
Erhard

"Erhard Ducke" <wird-nicht-gelesen-weil@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
> Hi cdv!
>
> How much traffic is caused by VoIP?

How long is a peice of string ?

> I know that there are many codecs in use therefore I give you some
> more information:
>
> I'm working with the German 'Fritz!Box Fon' and plan to use
> http://www.sipgate.de as VoIP provider.
>
> On their website they say that the data traffic is about 100 MB per
> hour so it should be about 300 kbps.
>
> Is it obvious from this information what codec is used?
> Is this traffic calculation realistic?
>
> Why did my DSL-Provider calculate about 4-6 MB per minute when I
> talked to the hotline?
>
> Thanks for any advice!

Modern codecs use between 8-16Kb/s per call and older ones can use 64Kb/s
per call, however you need to work out your call duration and concurrent
call number to work out your bandwidth.
Packetizer has a good tool that can help you work this out, although you may
need to ask some questions of you voip provider to get the right info:

http://www.packetizer.com/iptel/diagnostics/bandcalc.html

> --
> Regards
> Erhard