Eyes-on: Samsung's $10K 75-inch ES9000 LED LCD HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
@ itsnotmeitsyou

At this size, resolution matters... If it's still rocking 1080p you won't be able to get within 6 feet of it without immediatly noticing the pixels. 1920 x 1080 in a 75 inch screen... that would be just under 30 pixels per inch. And that's terrible.

The price doesn't actually bother me too much, not that I'd ever get one. I just mean that traditionally, first gen super products like this have sometimes been even higher. That it's being introduced with such a relatively low price gives me hope for the future.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
omg.. niceee.. wtf this is apple tech..!! apple owns the patent to displays larger than 55 inches...
apple sue Samscumg fast please...!!!!!!!!

Why is Samscumg even allow to make tv? doesn't they know that apples owns the patent for rectangular display devices

MaXimus421

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I agree, the max resolution will be the deal breaker here.

If it is indeed 1080p max, it's an absolutely worthless purchase for 10k in my opinion. Hell, it would be a worthless purchase at any price, really.

Here's hoping its not...

It would sure be nice if it was over 1080p. Problem is that most blu-rays are 720p\1080p and TV is 1080i; would be kind of pointless for higher resolution with a lower resolution source.

sesante2000

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
While 1080p might suck today on such a panel so big, There is no way to get 4K to the TV should it support it. At least not without upscaling the picture.
Also, I think something of this size is meant for a large room, Not your average living room size.

I can see the tech in this TV trickle down to the normal consumer TVs in the next 2-3 years. If the black levels are really Plasma level, then I may see something like this in my future.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
It would sure be nice if it was over 1080p. Problem is that most blu-rays are 720p\1080p and TV is 1080i; would be kind of pointless for higher resolution with a lower resolution source.

Blu-ray is as fast approaching anitquation, as all means of physical media distribution. though your current bandwidth may vary, 100Mbit offerings are becoming more common by the day, which is more than enough for double 1080p streaming resolutions. But of you're into "good enough" I have a betamax player that ill sell ya for a couple $K =)

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]itsnotmeitsyou[/nom]Blu-ray is as fast approaching anitquation, as all means of physical media distribution. though your current bandwidth may vary, 100Mbit offerings are becoming more common by the day, which is more than enough for double 1080p streaming resolutions. But of you're into "good enough" I have a betamax player that ill sell ya for a couple $K =)[/citation]

your forgetting that there are bandwidth caps in place associated with comcast or who ever the cable provider is .. 250GB at that rate wouldnt last much more then a week or so i figure .. plus that 100mbit service is like 250 a month for the average joe thats almost a car payment..

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
your forgetting that there are bandwidth caps in place associated with comcast or who ever the cable provider is .. 250GB at that rate wouldnt last much more then a week or so i figure .. plus that 100mbit service is like 250 a month for the average joe thats almost a car payment..

Bandwidth caps, like speeds, are growing. Googles Fiber has 1000Mbit service and no bandwidth cap.

if $250 is your car payment, you probably aren't in the market for 10K televisions either, 1080p or otherwise.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
While 1080p might suck today on such a panel so big, There is no way to get 4K to the TV should it support it. At least not without upscaling the picture.

There is native 4k content available to stream online, and the 7 series Radeons support 4k over HDMI. Also, Timescapes is native 4k content that is shipped to you on a hard drive instead of a disc. YouTube has some 4k content as well.

[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]It would sure be nice if it was over 1080p. Problem is that most blu-rays are 720p\1080p and TV is 1080i; would be kind of pointless for higher resolution with a lower resolution source.[/citation]
2K and 4K are right around the corner. Production houses are working on their up-conversions and film re-digitization as we speak. If you have the money to drop $10K and buy this TV today then you will be literally burning cash because you will want the 'good' TV next year, and you will not be able to resell this bad boy for anywhere near $10K... Granted you will probably still be able to get $2-4K from it... but that is still a huge loss in investment.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sesante2000[/nom]While 1080p might suck today on such a panel so big, There is no way to get 4K to the TV should it support it. At least not without upscaling the picture.Also, I think something of this size is meant for a large room, Not your average living room size.I can see the tech in this TV trickle down to the normal consumer TVs in the next 2-3 years. If the black levels are really Plasma level, then I may see something like this in my future.[/citation]

up till a month ago, we had a plazma... the black levels on it were pathetic.
i mean when ever there was any darkeness to the screen we saw read pixles everywhere danceing around.
even when it was new, black levels were never that great.

that said, i would love to see a true led tv
or led matrix become standard backlighting for tvs.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
It looks just like the one I have....and it only cost 2k. I seriously see no reason this thing is 8k more then my TV. The bezel smaller on mine, the smart phone channel changer is the same, the UI is the same. Everything but the size is the same. A slightly larger screen costs 8k more????? I'll pass, I can buy a late model car and a overkill TV with 10k

nleksan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I am happy with my 55" LG LED-LCD TV with its 120hz refresh rate and extraordinary image quality for the price (less than 1/6th of this, for a local-dimming pseudo RGB-LED panel). I can't see buying another "home theater" display until OLED becomes common enough to be affordable, and pixel burn-in is absolutely no issues....

I am looking forward to 4K resolution, but not at 4K prices....

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I'd also like to see more displays offering the proper 9:27 aspect ratio which is used by the vast majority of
cinema films. There is one such model already available, but the last time I saw a price it was $24K. Seems to
me if the industry tries to churn out very large displays at 4K but sticks with the normal 9:16 ratio, they will
miss the movie equivalent of the hifi market, just as the hifi buffs shunned CDs when they first came out
due to the choice of 16bit (that was enough to satisfy 95% of listeners, but the 5% were those with real
money to burn, the ones who wanted quality, which need 24bit or more).

As someone said earlier, large displays just using 1080p do not look that good. I was in a shop today,
an LED 47" LG was showing Spiderman in HD; the pixelation was obvious. If anything, the latest plasma
tech seems better at masking this effect.

Btw, a guy I know at a movie company told me back in April that they'd just received a job involving 12 streams
requiring 50+ layers of 8K per stream. In order to handle the load, all the HP Z800 Flame setups were upgraded to
96GB RAM. To cope with the I/O, such places are adopting 12Gbit SAS and 16Gbit FibreChannel, while Emulex
have already demo'd a 32Gbit HBA, ie. each port is more than 5X faster than 6Gbit SATA; at 3.2GB/sec per port,
only 4 ports are needed to guarantee UHDTV 8K playback from a single system. The company's SAN can move
15GB/sec, but it will be upgraded aswell over time.

Some notes on 2K btw: the term '2K' in the industry doesn't mean anything specific. It can mean either 2048x1556,
2048x1536, 2048x3072, 1828x1556, 1828x1332 and at least six additional modes. The confusion stems from legacy
issues related to Kodak's original Cineon system back in 1992; these modes merely represented the quarter resolutions
of various 16mm / 35mm / 65mm film formats.

Likewise, the difference between HD and 2K is a muddled issue too since there are a multitude of both frame and field
rates (over a dozen for each format), although the most widely used atm are 50Hz and 59.94Hz interlaced.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.