Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Unsolved Driver issues....or PC Paranoia?!?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 17, 2006 3:41:39 AM

I have a real aggrivating dilemma.
The computer will be great for weeks, no problems.
Then, like last nite....I was on the web and it just restarts.
Once, twice, three times consecutively
Gets to the splash screen and restarts.
I shut it down and get prepared.
(my shut down method at this time is Kill Switch-PSU style)
I Immediately do all updates , Windows Update and Virus Scan.
(Yes, it lets me do this after I patiently wait 5 and power-on.
Oh...I forgot to mention the Windows 'Error' response dictated I had a driver issue that it could not determine at this time but gave possible
remedies of how to solve the problem)
So tonight I have uninstalled my video driver (84.21) and reinstalled the driver, omitting Collbits and just keeping it clean.
I only used Coolbits once, and let the program do it's own overclock so I don't mess it up, got my result, went back to default and that was it.
It makes me nervous but the System is totally fine at the moment and has been for three hours.
We'll see 'er through the night.
Had these driver things before........to deal with-
Sure would hate to think the new PSU is a junker and kickin off.
(then again, I wonder if McAfee kills my machine for not updating past 7 days.....I have my suspicions!)
Weird how all of a sudden I have PC Paranoia.

Is this something anyone else here has ever had happen to them?
I could use some advice if you have any ConsTructive SuGGestions.

More about : unsolved driver issues paranoia

April 17, 2006 6:21:58 AM

Odd...why don't you replace Mcfee with Avast AV and see what happens....and when I say replace, I mean if it asks that you totally remove some components of Mcfee, then do so.
April 17, 2006 6:58:10 AM

I agree with the removal of McAfee they havent been good since the late 90's.... I used to swear by it back then. Weird how the realy good AV products go through these cycles... good for 2 years bad for 4 or more then back to being good *maybe someday* anyway if you lived here in Florida (maybe you do) I would see how it runs and do nothing more then what you did. The reason I mention florida is the power is most area's is prone to dips... I had my machine reboot 3 times in a row last week hmm of course the lights dimmed and my clocks all reset too... THANK YOU FPL !!!! lol anyway it could be your PS too or that your PS handles dips less then elegantly :)  but windows telling you have a driver issue it could be McAfee's driver that updated ? they have been having some issues lately. Dr's advice update all your drivers and see if MS has any new crap to install. If that doesnt work do the unintall of McA's and see if that helps If that doesnt help then start with your PS and work from there.
Related resources
April 17, 2006 7:32:28 AM

Go through and update your chipset drivers, your lan drivers, depending on your hardware you might need to download a dual core processor patch. Dont forget weird drivers like mice/USB devices/wireless junk/printers/etc.

If your still getting problems, you can always check windows update (that is if your running a windows OS and its legit :twisted: ) sometimes they offer driver updates.

Scan not only for virii but spy/malware aswell.

Still no dice? It might not actually be a driver issue but tricking windows into thinking it is:
- run prime95 for a few hours, see if she locks up or restarts
- grab memtest 86+ and burn the ISO, run that for ahile
- pick up your HD manufactures drive fitness test (or just grab hitachi or WD's) run that for awhile

If its still crapping out on you, try and switch out PSU's if possible, or try different wall sockets. If your wiring is less then perfect everytime you introduce some dirty power (i.e. a vacuum) your socket might not throw out enough amps on the line, or if your house is wired screwy that socket might be running on the same line the upstairs fridge/Air conditioner is, so check if anything else kicks on, when the computer turns off.
April 17, 2006 8:18:18 AM

Well, I use AntiVir - and I've noticed that sometimes when killing the processes of AntiVir, I get a crash. I recon it's because the anti virus software traps to the kernel, and when it is suddenly killed it will cause a system reboot...

Maybe you have a similar scenario?
April 17, 2006 1:20:53 PM

Thanks Everyone for the advice.
I did think maybe it was a power 'dip', but nothing else in the room flickered or dimmed, so I don't know. I got a really good deal on the McAfee Internet Security Suite at WalMart, $39 as opposed to $69 somewhere else.
maybe my savings isn't paying off.
Besides, I've always felt the bloat of the software and Norton?
Don't even try.
I'm not loading Turtleware.

I've Seen PC-Cillin available lately (used to like it in '00) and before I couldn't find it anywhere.
Has it gotten better or should I stay away?
(some old bundled versions wouldn't work when XP came out)
April 17, 2006 1:29:15 PM

I will check all of those things out.
I have updated the chipset drivers,
nontheless I am running an Nvidia 7600GT on an ATi x200 chipset and er, that concerns me a little.
Can't exactly load catalyst and Forceware at the same time, so I suppose XP is contolling the Bridge?
Got me there.
:?
This isn't new though, the X800XL was good but the machine would do the same thing after 2 months of no problems, then, Crash.( Error report always dictated it was a driver problem, but no immediate solution)
I upgraded to the 500 watt'Gaming' PSU at the same time I threw in the GT, so we're talkin one month at the most. (old PSU started to 'chatter' or grind for a split second on occasion, but it was a $29 Xion, so...)
Gotta be a driver issue. (please)
April 17, 2006 1:42:20 PM

Quote:
I did think maybe it was a power 'dip', but nothing else in the room flickered or dimmed, so I don't know. I got a really good deal on the McAfee Internet Security Suite at WalMart, $39 as opposed to $69 somewhere else.

I've Seen PC-Cillin available lately and before I couldn't find it anywhere.

get the free virus checkers either Avast or AVG both are better than the ones you are considering buying..

and like someone said above me try running the stress test in prime95 and running memtest to see what happens(if u get just 1 error in memtest then you need new memory btw)

sounds like a power issue though are you doing things at the time of the restarts or is it just idling?
April 17, 2006 1:57:06 PM

Basically I was at a webpage and typing as I am now with nothing else but AOL on, and then it would restart.
Total shock and nothing to understand what the hell just happened.
"Oh shit, damn McAfee updates, so you're gonna kill me now"
is what I thought.
Funny, it's been 12 hours or more now and since reloading the 84.21 driver all is calm.
I am running Windows XP Home SP2 with all current updates.
April 17, 2006 2:02:18 PM

Quote:
Basically I was at a webpage and typing as I am now with nothing else but AOL on, and then it would restart.

uninstall AOL first :D 

doesnt stop spyware, ive seen alot of very badly spyware/malware ridden computers that use AOL, spyware is attracted to that POS.(no offence)

Quote:
It's not brain surgery for Pete's sake and there has to be an easy remedy. (And it's not called droppin it out the window & kickin' it down the street, which....did cross my mind but that doesn't solve nothin. Did that with a playstation years ago and just ended up buyin another one.)

actually one thing i havnt asked is if youre still having the problem and have you tried a new PSU to see if that helps?
April 17, 2006 2:05:09 PM

This is a new PSU.
One month old.
Colors IT 500 watt 'Gaming' powersupply with a high 12v rail.
Hell, I should be good to go!
OK I admit I will buy a $40 PSU at a vendors store before I shell out $100 or more on a high $$ PSU.
Antec?
It's like Gibson guitars....you pay for the name.
I bought a Raid Maxx 420 watt 2 years ago for my other PC and it is flawless. I got that Raid max for $35, and have seen the prices go up past $90 for some units, so they must be doin OK.
(what I'm saying is the Raid Maxx is now out of price range)
April 17, 2006 2:37:36 PM

Actually, you aren't just paying for a "name" when you drop 100 bucks on a PSU, you are paying for cleaner power, more efficiency, better quality build components and more stable voltages.

But hey, if that $40 dollar "gaming PSU" is doing just fine, then why is your PC powering off for no reason? Granted, PSU issues arise more frequently "under load", but it isn't unheard of for one to fail during casual browsing. I'll admit, I hear a lot of people give me crap about hyping the PSU as a problem often overlooked in light of the bigger picture, however, I've replaced a few in my day (my own just 3 weeks ago) and the stability ALWAYS improves with a new, high-quality PSU over a freebie or generic one that came with the case, or was sold on EBay for $30.

If you find yourself pulling out your hair trying to solve the issue, at least try to get hold of an alternate PSU to test against the one you are presently using.
April 17, 2006 2:50:47 PM

diff is that while that raidmax "works" it does not handle brown-outs/power dips nearly as well. Yes, the name commands more $ in most cases, but they use higher end components that take abuse better and actually give you what the advertised power output is. (check toms and other reviews and you will be shocked at what bargin ps's are really outputting!)

not saying that your ps is the issue here, just clarifying what you pay for w/ a higher end one.

and yes, free AV's are the best way to go. I use avg and it has such a small footprint in memory that i never know it's there. Finds more than Mac or nort.
April 17, 2006 3:53:04 PM

Ok not to say anyone is dumb but I doubt that a psu is his issue, although it could be. My bro is running a $30 580w psu to fix his problem of reboot and overheating.

This is what you need to do if an extreme case of trouble shooting software/drivers is needed (ex. If everything you tried doesn’t work)

1. Back up all important data (although it already should be, shame on you if its not hdd is probably THE most unreliable piece of hardware in a pc).

2. Unplug all unnecessary hardware, extra hdd, fdd, cd/dvd drive, pci cards, ect. Only have a bare minimum of what you need your pc to run, one stick of ram (if possible) only a video card no extra sound, modem whatever, cpu, and power.

3. this is the annoying step, remove all unneeded software, basically everything but windows (you may skip this next part if you go straight to step 4 like I usually do after some program removal**) install something like prime 95 to stress the hell out of your system, hopefully it wont crash and you can start adding one program or two on at a time. I usually know what the culprit software is to begin with and I start by getting rid of it.

3.1 In your case I will venture a guess if you dabble with some programs of questionable legality, such as daemon tools you probably ought to start there. Also if you have some programs that are “demos” or you are “testing” they can cause lots of problems, but what do you expect it’s only demo after all.

4.If the pc fails with most everything but windows removed and you are very impatient like me. Format the hdd and load windows again and start step 3 adding most important/least likely problem software first such as office suite ect.

**And that reminds me did you recently install anything new on the pc? Start with newest installed programs first if you don’t want to take everything off the pc. That will most likely root out the problem software quickly and avoid a step 4.

I had gone through that only once when I couldn’t figure out my problem. It turned out to be the valve/steam stuff that got on my pc after putting half life 2 on my pc. I thought it to be my problem from the start, but even removing it along with all other programs didn’t fix my problem, only a format and reload fixed it.
April 17, 2006 7:39:28 PM

Quote:
Besides, I've always felt the bloat of the software and Norton?
Don't even try.
I'm not loading Turtleware.

I've Seen PC-Cillin available lately (used to like it in '00) and before I couldn't find it anywhere.

PC Cillin is all I run (on my windows boxes) its any amazing piece of software, the def's are top notch while the problem wont add 10mins to your boot time. I'd tell you to definitely pick up a trial atleast (trendmicro.com) and use that, see how you like it. Once you do, you'll be hooked.
April 18, 2006 1:17:44 PM

I know.
One never wants to admit it, but you get what you pay for.
(though after playing a $599 Epiphone Les Paul Custom made at the Gibson plant in China, I won't pay $1200 for a Gibson LP Custom made in America...it plays just as well and sounds the same.
How do we know that Antec doesn't build cheaper units at lower Spec to be sold as a 'different' brand?)
It's been 24 hrs and we're OK here.
No glitches after I re-installed the 84.21 driver.
Somehow it seems to be related to drivers.
I'll keep my eye on the PSU thing, and I will need advice on THE low $$ but best deal PSU I can get.
Thanks.
April 18, 2006 1:29:01 PM

I did my Energency steps and burned files to disc and any and everything that could be brought up by program (pdf,creations, etc.)and collections I had created that I knew I could wipe the HDD clean and start fresh, so that was almost second nature now.
Luckily I didn't have to boot to restore and everything is fine at the moment.
Emergency disk and rescue in hand if I should need it.
Thanks for the advice!

BB Damm
April 18, 2006 1:54:53 PM

Quote:
Basically I was at a webpage and typing as I am now with nothing else but AOL on,

Hmmm that's MY guess! :roll:
April 18, 2006 2:03:33 PM

AOL.
LOL.
You know it seemed they brought a new Version out every year or so.
They've had AOL 9.0 SE for 2 years at least ( as long as I've had it) and with the latest version of McAfee 2006, in the AOL sign on screen it comes up 'undetected' while firewall is still 'detected'
Last years 2005 version was 'detected'
AOL has some updating to do. We need Version X now!

I don't use the AOL McAfee because it IS full of bugs and total hell to use.
Those McAfee freebies are nothing more than trouble.
That includes all those bundled 'McAfee Online' discs out there.
Unless you buy the store bought package,
Steer Cleer at all $$!!!
April 18, 2006 2:30:15 PM

wow... when it comes to instruments I would not even put an epiphone anywhere near a gibson. Especially in acoustics. While electrics are more reliant on components there are still resonance issues w/ how it is built. If you listen, you hear it. acoustic models really show that off. you definitely get what you pay for, and the gibson is flat better.

Of course how much better is more the question here... if you pay $1200 for one and $600 for another, is the 1200 one twice as good? this is subjective of course but usually with anything the ammount of improvement is not proportional to the premium spent. (just look at video cards...)

so w/ ps's there is obviously "good" ones at the low end. High-end brands have an edge on performance, efficiency or what-not... you just have to deal w/ how much of a premium are you willing to spend. Unlike guitars, electronics tend to need replacing, and lower end stuff moreso than the higher end. That may offset some of that premium.
April 19, 2006 2:14:44 AM

Quote:
wow... when it comes to instruments I would not even put an epiphone anywhere near a gibson. Especially in acoustics.

Not even if Gibson is Building them?
http://www.epiphone.com/FactoryTour/qdtour5.html

It looks like yor rig is top $$ anyway, so my ranting is fruitless.
I just try to get it right hoping to save some $$ in the process.
I will get the higher $$, higher quality build should I have to shell out for PSU again.
Come to think of it if I'd spent that $100 the first time, I wouldn't be spending $35 3 times, actually spending over the 100 in total, and asking myself why.
Duh.
April 19, 2006 4:05:00 AM

Quote:
Come to think of it if I'd spent that $100 the first time, I wouldn't be spending $35 3 times, actually spending over the 100 in total, and asking myself why.
Duh.

bingo... that is the point that so many miss in the first place. The only reason I have the parts I do though is that I had the budget to go there. If my budget had been smaller, I would have cut corners and one corner may have involved the ps... you never know man.

oh, and about the gibson. My wife worked at the gibson plant in Bozeman, MT for quite a while, and a friend of mine worked there for almost 10 years. They hand build each guitar; limited big mechanical presses, all by hand. My wife can glance at the inside of a guitar and tell you if it sucks or not... b/c I have seen where the detail is (she shows me ;)  ) that is why I say that even though it is made by gibson technically it does not mean it is made the same.

not trying to sound like an a$$, as it is not a big deal what guitar you like on this forum ;) ... especially, just like a computer, if all your budget allows is low/mid range items (even a guitar) then you make do w/ what you can get.