Something's wrong with memory

Hi, this is my first post in this forum ;)
Recently, I put together a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard GA-8S661FXMP-RZ with a A-data 1gb ddr400 cas3 RAM memory and an overclocked P4 3.3GHz (220fsb x 15) socket 478. The thing is that whenever I tried benchmarking the RAM latency and such, it gave really really low results.
For example, with Everest's memory latency test, it got a 138ns. I don't know the exact timings of this memory, just that it is cas3. Before, when I had an Athlon 64 3000@3500, with this same memory module, I remember that I got FAR better results.
Many times I can feel the delay when running some heavy programs and I think it's due to the memory. The memory is supposed to be running in sync with the cpu's fsb (220), I set the ram to 440. Also, the timings I set are: 2.5T 3-3-6
The memory read test I got was: 2089mb/s
The memory write test I got was: 850mb/s

Can anyone please help me out? Cuz I don't have the money to get a better ram for the moment, maybe later, but I'm still putting up with this for a while.
4 answers Last reply
More about something wrong memory
  1. Have you tried it at stock speeds. Do that first and be sure it runs as expected.
  2. Hm... yeah I should try that, so do I just "unoverclock"the cpu and get both ram and cpu to run at 200?
    But then what about the memory timings? I don't know exactly the values for each, will just setting to Auto get it on stock?

EDIT: OK, I just reset all to stock, no overclock, original crappy timings, but then it just got worse, I mean, REALLY freakin worse. It's even slower than PC2700 with p4 1.7!!!
    How can that be?
    Some kind of incompatibility between the motherboard and the memory?
    B/c as I said before, I had this memory module on a Asus A8V Deluxe with Athlon 64 3000 socket 939 with no problems at all, running as expected and even could get it to about 220fsb (wow -_- note the sarcasm), but now it seems to be running like 120
  3. Do you have the latest bios for the board? Are you running the latest motherboard drivers, etc?
  4. Yeah, I just updated the BIOS and chipset drivers but still, the performance is really screwed up. I don't know what else there is to do... any more ideas?
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM