just bought the tft7020

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
hehe, this is great, but first I have to be approved to be a student, hope they accept CC, you know community colleges student as a student, otehrwise they will cancel my order, hehe have to stay up to date. this will be great, and if i dont like it, i can return it without any questions asked, and the warrenty, great:) Hope the monitor is as good as you people say it is. now i just have to get a radeon 8500 so i can use the dvi output, hehe. right now im on a geforce from leadtec, it was the best when i bought it 2 years ago, but now its time for a upgrade.

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
thanx man, im just waiting to get the confermation letter, hope they work on weekends:)

this is the one i took:
TFT7020 Analog+Digital w/Speakers - 2-Tone US
Active Matrix TFT (thin film transistor) Flat Panel Monitor VGA, DVI-D Signal Input .264 mm pixel pitch

for a $646 and free shipping:)

hope the speakers work good

G

I think we're all pretty familiar with the specs of the TFT7020. :wink:

Hopefully soon, I will be getting as familiar with it as your going to be...

R_E

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
i just wanted to point out the speakers, you know there are 2 versions, one with speakers and one is without. but i have not recieved the confermation that the student deal went through, hopefully it did.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
They don't really seem to be open on weekends (excpet for tech support and the warehouses), so ur confirmation will probably be sent to u monday or tuesday. It never occured to me to try the speakers....odd. Don't u have a sound system?

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

G

Well, it's better to have speakers on a Monitor anyway as usually it compliments whatever Sound system you have. It's like in a movie theater. Most screens have two speakers on either side, which really isn't needed since they have a fancy Dolby Digital sound setup, but it still adds to the effect.

Jack Burton is a great man...

G

Yeah, if I can find a good LCD with speakers I will surely go with it. Hell, I may just go with Compaq as I could get the student discount too. I am going to be getting the Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks 510D speakers. Add these with a Hercules Gaming Theater XP sound card and you got a kick ass sound system. Can't wait for the summer, hehe.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Cool. What i can't understand is that I got the SB Live Platinum Digital sound card, so the live drive is all digital plugs. However, the actual plugs for speakers are analog! WTF!! Annoys me soo much cause my ATP5 can use digital signal.

G

I think its because you need a amp that supports Dolby 6 point sound. YOu run the card to the amp and then the speakers from the amp.

You consider how much the sound card is , and then comsider the hardware you need to use it. Its quiet an investment. IF you can afford the 600+ amp that supports digital in/out put, your set for a long time. You cant get much better.

Unless I could get the amp I dont think I would buy the card. If I had the card already I would be seriously considering buying the Amp.

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
ok, thanx for the info that they are not open on weekends, they did not mention that on their site. ahha, i get enoyed, my system needs a tons of upgrades, still on a athlon 800, i have upgrades the storage a couple of times, now i got over 250 on my main computer... but i think i will get a new system to the summer, but when i get the 7020 i need a new card with dvi output:) I was thinking of the r8500 but i just might go with the r7500 instead for the r8500 because my m/b only supports 2x agp, so when summer arrives i get a new system for my new screen:)

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
the main reason i want to go with a ati, is because the tvout, I have a s-video on that the geforce i have right now and the tv-out sucks, so i want a better tv-out and people told me that ati is much better then nvidea. but i have not made up my mine yet

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Please do not get the Nvidia card, at least not the gf2/gf3/ti version! it is well known that Nvidia have lower image quailty compare to ati/matrox!(there is a article I beleive in anandtech showing why and perhaps how to improve the image quality of Nvidia chipset)
you can get a Ati 8500 oem for same/lower price then Nvidia, with basically same speed as ti500 and better visual quality, why o to Nvidia at all!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I use teh dvi iand tv-out on my Quadro DCC (GF3 basically), and it's awesome. This is just bs about image quality. Seriously, there is no difference.

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
If you don't think there is huge difference in visual quality between different video chipset! you are sadly mistaken, even Nvidia own vice president on research was in a interview in asian news awhile back address the same issue saying they will address the issue on their next(gf4) chipset!

by the way, web site such as tomshardware/anandtech that you like to quote so much about the issue of MVA/TNF have constantly address the issue of Nvidia second rated visual output, they even go as far as writing a article on how to improve GF3 by removing some resister or something!

you either believe or don't believe those web site reporter, or are you just one of those selective reader who read whatever match their own believe?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I know there is no difference in image quality between Quadro and GF, which is why I used that as an example. I myself use a my LCD on a DVI port, and the image looks great- certainly no problems with it. Odd how Compaq got the TFT7020 to work w/ a GF3 and look great, yet other companies have issues with GF3. Realize that this is a mainstream card, and most people WILL NOT buy a new vid card just to get an LCD to work- they'll just get a different LCD (I'm talking about the peops who don't know much about comps, not THG members). From my personal experience, I have not noticed any declines in image quality on my Quadro DCC. That's just my opinion, obviously u choose not to accept it, which is fine.
BTW, I do believe what I see (if it's credible), but at a certain point, personal experience may override that.

G

Why would you want to get a GF3 if your Quadro is already like it? And yes, IQ is better with ATI, esp. 2D. But Matrox has the best 2D IQ by far. But for 3D, ATI has the crown right now. However the differences in IQ between the two are very minute, and so you have to look hard to find them. It's only obvious on some games (ie those that support truform, etc). Only problem is, I can spot the differences easily since I have read about them, so it's probably ATI for me. We'll see this summer. All I have to say is ATI's driver support has really improved, and if I do get a card from them, worrying about the drivers and support will be a thing of the past.

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
grrr, Compaq have not send an confermation letter yet, and they said it woudl only take like 24 hours, i am getting nervous

someone pass over the alcohol, i cant stand this no more

G

I never received anything until the monitor showed up the next week. I did call them to make sure everything went through, but it was unnecessary.

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
ok, thanx for that info, i was thinking of that too, but i did nit really give them any good info about me biung a student, i was like i go to this school and my name is... and hope this works