How to make Invisible computer name?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 14, 2005 1:47:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet (More info?)

Hello there....
I want to make my computer name at the "control panel - network -
identification" be invisible, so other computers at my LAN can't see my
computer name. They will be see as 'unknown' if they try to scan my LAN (as
if I'm offline). I mean they will not know if I'm online.
Could you please help me how to set it in my computer?

Thx
Reina
February 14, 2005 1:47:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet (More info?)

As far as I know, what you're trying to do is not possible. Your computer
has to have a name. The way to prevent people from accessing your files is
to disable file sharing....if that's what you're asking.

Chris.

P.S. Please stop crossposting