Gaming on a Workstation?

PopeRatzo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
I've got a unique situation. My company is offering to set me up with a home computer. The one they want to order is a workstation, Pentium D with 2gig RAM and a Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 graphics card (I have to use dual monitors).

My question is this: Will this system be good to play games on? I'm specifically thinking about F.E.A.R. and new high-end games.

This computer is going to be my work machine and my personal machine, so I want something that I can entertain myself with as well, so I'm wondering if I should pass on the workstation-class setup and go with something with a good GeForce.

Please advise.

Thanks,

cleeve

Illustrious
QUadros are just Geforces with different drivers. However, those drivers aren't optimized for gaming... so it might work well, slowly, or not at all depending on the game.

Jaffee

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
As long as you have a dual core processor (preferably from AMD) and 2x 1gb sticks of QUALITY memory, you'll be fine with a high-end gaming GPU for graphic design, etc. A dual monitor setup will not be an issue with like a 7900GT or GTX, or, if you decide to go ATI, a 1900XT or XTX.