rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
The few times I've flashed my BIOS, I have done so with a non-overclocked PC... so I haven't really paid attention to the BIOS settings.

Now that I'm running an OC'd system, I'd like to know... are customized BIOS settings lost when you flash?

Thanks!

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Yes, the BIOS resets itself to defaults when you flash. Just take notes of the settings and you should be able to program the BIOS back to your custom settings in a couple minutes.

Also, if you do flash and it gets a bit flaky on you (CPU Error on POST, etc.), try shorting the CMOS Reset jumper on the motherboard for 20 seconds, then putting it back, it will reset the BIOS manually to defaults and then you should be OK.

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
By that, if you mean completely disabled and rendered unuseable, I'd have to say no. Unless a feature was rendering motherboard(s) inoperable, I can't imagine them disabling a BIOS feature completely. If anything, it might have its default status altered, like being Disabled by default rather than Enabled, but that's as far as I see it going.

Also, as for your concerns about the overclocking settings, just note the few settings that are relevant, such as CPU Settings, memory timings, FSB adjustments, voltage tweaks and PCI clock settings (don't know if it applies to newer PCI-x boards though). That really won't cover everthing, but it just occured to me that if you have a cheap digital camera, just take snapshots of each respective BIOS screen so that you can review them later on. You might end up with a couple dozen photos, but it can be critical to getting your rig back to what you had before.