Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Choosing RAM

Last response: in Components
April 17, 2006 2:50:06 PM

I've decided to future-proof my system more, and to get rid of a few errors I've been having by replacing my current RAM. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer, and want to be able to play games like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion smoothly, so I'm looking for some 2GB RAM.

My current system specs are:
Quote:

ASUS A8N-SLi Premium
AMD 4000+
7800GTX
1GB RAM

I've been looking at OCZ PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL DDR RAM. I'm unlikely to overclock the RAM right now because I can't afford any more cooling, but in the future I will be able to afford it so shall buy it. Then I will overclock. So I'm looking for the _best_ 2GB RAM at stock, yet still has good overclocking potential. I know it's probably going to be either Corsair or OCZ.

Thanks

EDIT: Very sorry. Only just noticed the forum for RAM. Appreciate it if anyone could move this thread to the correct forum, thanks.

More about : choosing ram

April 17, 2006 3:37:37 PM

I got good results with the XMS Corsairs when it comes to overclocking. Good overclocking ram are the ones with tighter timings, for when you overclock the cpu it slows down the ram but with tighter timings you would have a high performing memory. Got my X2 4800 with XMS overclocked with very stable performance. As with my 840 EE with XMS2 overclock to 3.8 stable and both of this system is on air cooling.
!