pc acting strangely

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 14, 2005 8:47:04 AM

Not sure where to ask this question. Maybe someone can provide info. My wife
teachs some computer classes at a school and she has a student that
occassionally has dental work and has some xrays and medication. It seems
that whem he has this done and comes comes back to school and her class
strange things happen to the pc he is setting at. The pc without him touching
it starts opening files and you have screen upon screen. She has had him
enpty pockets etc to make sure he is not doing anything. This usually clears
up after severl days. This has happened several times this school year. Has
anyone hear of this happening and if so are there any articles on this?
GeorgeLM

More about : acting strangely

February 14, 2005 12:31:23 PM

It sounds like malware to me. Do you use a program called SpySweeper by
Webroot to help protect your PC. Do you have a hardware and/or software
firewall? Do you have an antivirus program? The online war is being waged
and we must start to go on the offensive against hackers, imo.

"GeorgeLM" <GeorgeLM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Not sure where to ask this question. Maybe someone can provide info. My
wife
: teachs some computer classes at a school and she has a student that
: occassionally has dental work and has some xrays and medication. It seems
: that whem he has this done and comes comes back to school and her class
: strange things happen to the pc he is setting at. The pc without him
touching
: it starts opening files and you have screen upon screen. She has had him
: enpty pockets etc to make sure he is not doing anything. This usually
clears
: up after severl days. This has happened several times this school year. Has
: anyone hear of this happening and if so are there any articles on this?
: GeorgeLM
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:27:02 PM

Dan,
This pc is not connected to the internet.
GeorgeLM

"Dan" wrote:

> It sounds like malware to me. Do you use a program called SpySweeper by
> Webroot to help protect your PC. Do you have a hardware and/or software
> firewall? Do you have an antivirus program? The online war is being waged
> and we must start to go on the offensive against hackers, imo.
>
> "GeorgeLM" <GeorgeLM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : Not sure where to ask this question. Maybe someone can provide info. My
> wife
> : teachs some computer classes at a school and she has a student that
> : occassionally has dental work and has some xrays and medication. It seems
> : that whem he has this done and comes comes back to school and her class
> : strange things happen to the pc he is setting at. The pc without him
> touching
> : it starts opening files and you have screen upon screen. She has had him
> : enpty pockets etc to make sure he is not doing anything. This usually
> clears
> : up after severl days. This has happened several times this school year. Has
> : anyone hear of this happening and if so are there any articles on this?
> : GeorgeLM

Related resources
February 14, 2005 4:05:30 PM

Was the PC ever connected to the Internet? Could the PC have picked up a
virus from a floppy, zip disk or cd that was used? Does anyone else use the
PC?

: Dan,
: This pc is not connected to the internet.
: GeorgeLM
:
: "Dan" wrote:
:
: > It sounds like malware to me. Do you use a program called SpySweeper by
: > Webroot to help protect your PC. Do you have a hardware and/or software
: > firewall? Do you have an antivirus program? The online war is being
waged
: > and we must start to go on the offensive against hackers, imo.
: >
[...]
February 14, 2005 9:25:16 PM

Replace the mouse, or if it's a cordless mouse replace the batteries.

"GeorgeLM" <GeorgeLM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure where to ask this question. Maybe someone can provide info. My
> wife
> teachs some computer classes at a school and she has a student that
> occassionally has dental work and has some xrays and medication. It seems
> that whem he has this done and comes comes back to school and her class
> strange things happen to the pc he is setting at. The pc without him
> touching
> it starts opening files and you have screen upon screen. She has had him
> enpty pockets etc to make sure he is not doing anything. This usually
> clears
> up after severl days. This has happened several times this school year.
> Has
> anyone hear of this happening and if so are there any articles on this?
> GeorgeLM
February 14, 2005 9:25:17 PM

I hope it is that it is that easy for the user. LOL!!

news:o R8Q0xuEFHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: Replace the mouse, or if it's a cordless mouse replace the batteries.
:
: --
: Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
: * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
: * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
: * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
: * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
:
: