Graphics Help Required

filthjack

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2004
Please help, When I turned on my PC Friday the screen had vertical Pink Lines across it and upon startup the screen was very pixelated. I checked all monitor settings to no avail and have just changed monitors. Same problem.
I have just updated my ati aiw 9700 radeon and cleaned all dust from inside case. Now the left side of the screen is ok but right side is pink and blotchy !
If i do a system restore the original vertical pink lines return ! I'm stumped and realise this might be in the wrong forum but any assistance greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ps No Viruses

P4 2.4
1 Gig ram
120Gb Western Digital
Radeon 9700
XP Sp 2

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Dude :D

display "problems" such as you describe indicate a faulty video card. Reinstall your previous card, if you have one, and see if the problem disappears. Otherwise, plan on obtaining another card.

filthjack

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2004
Ok, Great help put in an ancient elsa card and that solved it !
Thanks for your help !
PS
Any ati based card you can recommend ? :lol:
256mb +

cleeve

Illustrious
What do you use the card for? Gaming?

What price range?

Don't buy based only on the amount of memory on the card. That is nothing more than a marketing feature 90% of the time, it doesn't make the card faster...

filthjack

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2004
Yeah, Would like to be able to run some current games Toca 3 etc
Would like a card better than the AIW 9700 Radeon that broke !
Cheers

filthjack

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2004
Dunno, Fan works but hey I've had it for a couple of years !
Need advice on a better card though
Doesn't have to be an AIW but would prefer to stick with ATI
Any help appreciated
Thanx
PS Wanna stick with AGP Cos don't wanna change MOBO yet
got a Asus P4s8x sis648ddr333 ok?

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
the Radeon 9700 series had a severe heat problem that never really went away. I'd suggest buy a new VGA cooler for the card, some arctic silver thermal paste, and reapplying both onto the GPU.

If you decide on the newer card, the X800/X850 series are pretty good. You might run into bottleneck issues with that 2.4GHZ processor though, so it might not be worth spending too much money and not getting what you expected.

A 9800 Pro must be pretty cheap by now!!

filthjack

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2004
Ok guys n gals,
Thanks 4 all your help just ordered a x800gto - should go well with the 24" widescreen monitor thats in the mail ! !
Thanks again for all your advice :D