98SE shutdown hangs-Compaq AMD K6-2

I was given a Compaq with the AMD K6-2 533 MHz processor. The "restore" CD
installs Win98SE. In this "original" configuration, it works fine. After
noticed this problem when I was trying to install the hard drive from my old
computer as a slave; since the Compaq would never recognize the other drive,
I thought the hanging issue was because I was doing something wrong there.
But in this instance, it's not the case.

Any suggestions?

Ed
4 answers Last reply
More about 98se shutdown hangs compaq

    Start over again with a clean load of W98SE from the restore disk. Once it
    is working right, add the second hard drive. Make sure the jumper pins on
    the master and slave drives are set correctly and you cannot necessarily
    rely on the position captions listed on the drive. Instead, determine the
    make and models of the drives and go to the maker's web site(s) and get the
    jumper pin positions from there. Make sure the drives are properly
    recognized in the BIOS. If you continue to have problems, try pairing the
    new drive with a CDRom/DVD device instead of with the other hard drive.

    Once the hardware issue is fixed, add one program at a time starting with
    Office. Always reboot after a software install and then test to see if the
    shutdown issue has reappeared. From what you are describing, a software
    program is not shutting down properly and causes the hang. Once the program
    is identified, get rid of it.

    MVP Jim Eshelman has general troubleshooting procedures for W95/98/98SE
    shutdown problems at http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm and procedures for
    W98SE in particular at http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnse.htm

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I was given a Compaq with the AMD K6-2 533 MHz processor. The "restore" CD
    > installs Win98SE. In this "original" configuration, it works fine. After
    > noticed this problem when I was trying to install the hard drive from my
    > old
    > computer as a slave; since the Compaq would never recognize the other
    > drive,
    > I thought the hanging issue was because I was doing something wrong there.
    > But in this instance, it's not the case.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Ed

    Thanks for the help, Ron. On the hard drive issue, I've tried to boot it in
    configured every way possible - including as the only drive (as it has Win98
    installed). As a second drive, the machine recognizes it at some level
    (Compaq's diagnostic program correctly identifies it), but when Opened or
    Explored from My Computer all I see is an exact mirror image of the main
    drive - impossible when you realize the main drive is 25 Gig and the old
    drive is 2.3 Gig!

    I'm going to try working through Jim Eshelman's steps this weekend. If
    anything starts smoking, I'll holler back for help.

    Ed

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Start over again with a clean load of W98SE from the restore disk. Once
    it
    > is working right, add the second hard drive. Make sure the jumper pins on
    > the master and slave drives are set correctly and you cannot necessarily
    > rely on the position captions listed on the drive. Instead, determine the
    > make and models of the drives and go to the maker's web site(s) and get
    the
    > jumper pin positions from there. Make sure the drives are properly
    > recognized in the BIOS. If you continue to have problems, try pairing the
    > new drive with a CDRom/DVD device instead of with the other hard drive.
    >
    > Once the hardware issue is fixed, add one program at a time starting with
    > Office. Always reboot after a software install and then test to see if
    the
    > shutdown issue has reappeared. From what you are describing, a software
    > program is not shutting down properly and causes the hang. Once the
    program
    > is identified, get rid of it.
    >
    > MVP Jim Eshelman has general troubleshooting procedures for W95/98/98SE
    > shutdown problems at http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm and procedures
    for
    > W98SE in particular at http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnse.htm
    >

    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >
    > "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I was given a Compaq with the AMD K6-2 533 MHz processor. The "restore"
    CD
    > > installs Win98SE. In this "original" configuration, it works fine.
    After
    > > noticed this problem when I was trying to install the hard drive from my
    > > old
    > > computer as a slave; since the Compaq would never recognize the other
    > > drive,
    > > I thought the hanging issue was because I was doing something wrong
    there.
    > > But in this instance, it's not the case.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Ed

    What happens when it is the only drive installed? Have you gone to the
    drive maker's web site and downloaded their diagnostic program? It runs
    from a floppy and tells you the health of the drive.

    --

> [...]
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    >> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    >> Knowledge Base Info:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >>
    >> "Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> >I was given a Compaq with the AMD K6-2 533 MHz processor. The "restore"
    > CD
    >> > installs Win98SE. In this "original" configuration, it works fine.
    > After
    >> > noticed this problem when I was trying to install the hard drive from
    >> > my
    >> > old
    >> > computer as a slave; since the Compaq would never recognize the other
    >> > drive,
    >> > I thought the hanging issue was because I was doing something wrong
    > there.
    >> > But in this instance, it's not the case.

    When it's the only drive installed (jumpered as Master), it may or may not
    begin to boot - if it does begin to boot, the Compaq configuration is so
    foreign, it runs in PnP circles trying desperately to recognize and install
    everything, but can't recognize it all, and hangs.

    I didn't think to go to the drive maker's site for help. Plus, I figured if
    the computer won't recognize it, nothing else I try is going to be able to
    touch it, either. I contacted one of the IT gurus here at work - he said he
    can take the drive home and boot it into his "normal" (i.e.: non-Compaq!) PC
    and write my files to a CD for me. That's probably safer than me messing
    with it!

> [...]
    > > the
    > >> jumper pin positions from there. Make sure the drives are properly
    > >> recognized in the BIOS. If you continue to have problems, try pairing
    > >> the
    > >> new drive with a CDRom/DVD device instead of with the other hard drive.
    > >>
    > >> Once the hardware issue is fixed, add one program at a time starting
    with
    > >> Office. Always reboot after a software install and then test to see if
    > > the
    > >> shutdown issue has reappeared. From what you are describing, a
    software
    > >> program is not shutting down properly and causes the hang. Once the
    > > program
    > >> is identified, get rid of it.
    > >>
    > >> MVP Jim Eshelman has general troubleshooting procedures for W95/98/98SE

Compaq Shutdown AMD Windows