Scenery - So, what do I really need?

Last response: in Video Games
July 11, 2005 1:43:14 AM

What do I need to experience really, really impressive scenery?
Something like FSG 38M mesh (I live in New England) and Ultimate
Terrain? Anything else (or less)?

I am running a Dell 8400 with an Intel 3.something ghz processor, 1G of
RAM and an Nvidea GTO 6800 w/ 256 RAM

More about : scenery

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:36:20 AM

Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote:

> What do I need to experience really, really impressive scenery?
> Something like FSG 38M mesh (I live in New England) and Ultimate
> Terrain? Anything else (or less)?

Yes, those two improvements would be an *excellent* start.

From there, you could begin to add some free airports, such as a remake of
Boston Logan. This excellent freebie exists on www.avsim.com. If you
cannot find it, let me know and I will post the link to it.

--
Peter

July 11, 2005 2:42:38 AM

Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote:
>
>> What do I need to experience really, really impressive scenery?
>> Something like FSG 38M mesh (I live in New England) and Ultimate
>> Terrain? Anything else (or less)?
>
> Yes, those two improvements would be an *excellent* start.

Whoops, I should have added: FSGenesis' landclass scenery, which immensely
improves the placement of the landclass texture files (those scenery tiles
that cover the ground and make it look like farm land, cities, small towns,
forests, etc.).

The default landclass (where the tiles go, not the tiles themselves) is too
generic and drab.

Take a look here at a comparison of the default versus another 3rd party
landclass scenery file I did a few years back to get an idea.

http://home.twcny.rr.com/thericcs1/FSScrShots/compare/l...

--
Peter

July 11, 2005 2:42:39 AM

Beech45Whiskey wrote:
> Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote:
>>

>>>What do I need to experience really, really impressive scenery?
>>>Something like FSG 38M mesh (I live in New England) and Ultimate
>>>Terrain? Anything else (or less)?
>>
>>Yes, those two improvements would be an *excellent* start.
>

> Whoops, I should have added: FSGenesis' landclass scenery, which immensely
> improves the placement of the landclass texture files (those scenery tiles
> that cover the ground and make it look like farm land, cities, small towns,
> forests, etc.).

Wouldn't this landclass scenery conflict with the Ultimate Terrain
landclass scenery? Or do they complement each other somehow? Do you
have to pull some sort of trick to do it, or can you just download and
install it all?
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:41:03 AM

Dave Dantos wrote:
> What do I need to experience really, really impressive scenery?

have a look here http://fsglobal2005.com/
Günter
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 4:32:35 PM

Jon Nadelberg <news@nadelberg.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't this landclass scenery conflict with the Ultimate Terrain
> landclass scenery? Or do they complement each other somehow? Do you
> have to pull some sort of trick to do it, or can you just download and
> install it all?

My understanding is that UT enhances many texture files, but not actually
enhanced the landclass scenery itself. Keep in mind that I haven't
actually installed it yet so hopefully someone else who has installed will
chime in.

In the meantime, we have their nebulous web site feature description to go
by. From the UT website:

--
Peter

July 11, 2005 5:42:07 PM

On UT landclass: for major cities (and for areas that were formerly
covered by water) it's new and improved). Everywhere else, it's better
to use FSG landclass.

Problem: right now you can't use both at one time.

Kriesman is going to fix this soon: in UT USA 1.1, you will be able to
use UT landclass in places where it's been customized, and FSG
landclass everywhere else.

P.S. The beta version of FSG landclass is free. It is a beta version --
and hasn't been updated for two years. But if you want to see how the
sim benefits from custom landclass, this will show you.
http://portal.fsgenesis.net/modules.php?op=modload&name...
index&req=viewsdownload&sid=11

July 11, 2005 6:49:13 PM

David Wilson-Okamura <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

> On UT landclass: for major cities (and for areas that were formerly
> covered by water) it's new and improved). Everywhere else, it's better
> to use FSG landclass.
>
> Problem: right now you can't use both at one time.
>
> Kriesman is going to fix this soon: in UT USA 1.1, you will be able to
> use UT landclass in places where it's been customized, and FSG
> landclass everywhere else.

Hmmm.... I wonder if this is simply a limitation of the UT installer?

Normally, the sim *will* use multiple landclass files, automatically giving
a higher priority to smallest landclass file and working on down the
priority hierarchy with each landclass file of greater size.

What would happen if you moved (not copied) the UT landclass file into the
same directory as the FSGenesis landclass, I wonder. Perhaps I need to get
off the fence and purchase UT so I can find out...

--
Peter

July 11, 2005 9:31:10 PM

David Wilson-Okamura <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

> Full discussion of the landclass issue in the UT support forum here:
> http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=19...

Thanks for that. If you don't mind, could you post here when the UT patch
appears? As of now I don't have too much extra time to monitor that board,
too.

--
Peter

July 12, 2005 12:39:19 AM

If I hear the concensus, it appears that I have several options:

The easy way is FSG's mesh + UTUSA;
The harder way is FSG's mesh + FSG Landclass;
The hardest way is FSG's mesh + UTUSA + FSG Landclass, with some
areas turned off in Landclass and UTUSA

Then there's FS Global 2005, but I do not get a sense as to how this
product compares with the above.

Being a casual flight sim guy, I guess that I would be inclined to do it
the easy way (unless I am missing something)...
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:16:49 AM

Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote:

> Being a casual flight sim guy, I guess that I would be inclined to do it
> the easy way (unless I am missing something)...

Or, just wait until UT 1.1 comes out any day now and get number 3 on your
list with the ease of number 1 on your list (assuming I read the thread
posted on the UT board correctly).

--
Peter

July 12, 2005 1:23:51 AM

Beech45Whiskey wrote:
> Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote:
>

>>Being a casual flight sim guy, I guess that I would be inclined to do it
>>the easy way (unless I am missing something)...
>

> Or, just wait until UT 1.1 comes out any day now and get number 3 on your
> list with the ease of number 1 on your list (assuming I read the thread
> posted on the UT board correctly).

Or, I could do that. Do I still need FSG's mesh?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:25:24 AM

Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote:

> Beech45Whiskey wrote:
>> Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Being a casual flight sim guy, I guess that I would be inclined to do it
>>>the easy way (unless I am missing something)...
>>
>> Or, just wait until UT 1.1 comes out any day now and get number 3 on your
>> list with the ease of number 1 on your list (assuming I read the thread
>> posted on the UT board correctly).
>>

> Or, I could do that. Do I still need FSG's mesh?

Definitely. UT does not have terrain mesh and the default mesh is very low
resolution. FS Genesis mesh makes a big difference in the realistic
appearance of the terrain.

--
Peter

July 12, 2005 12:49:05 PM

We did tell you, didn't we, that you can download the FSG mesh for
free? Not for the whole world, just the United States -- a gift from
the author to the flightsim community. See
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=justin+t...
scen&Go=Search It goes on for several pages.

July 12, 2005 1:46:07 PM

Indeed, that was for the original poster.

July 12, 2005 1:59:25 PM

David Wilson-Okamura <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote:

> We did tell you, didn't we, that you can download the FSG mesh for
> free? Not for the whole world, just the United States --

David, you are replying to my post but it appears that you are offering
this information to the OP. Whom did you intend as the recipient? If me,
thanks for the info but I am a lifetime FSG Galaxy Member. :)

I am not familiar with SimRadar's web interface, but if you could quote the
post to which you are replying, it would alleviate any potential confusion.

--
Peter

July 13, 2005 12:36:51 AM

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> We did tell you, didn't we, that you can download the FSG mesh for
> free? Not for the whole world, just the United States -- a gift from
> the author to the flightsim community. See
> http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=justin+t...
> scen&Go=Search It goes on for several pages.

The OP is appreciative
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:52:46 AM

Thanks for the tip. I am downloading like crazy. All I do is place the
..bgl file in scenery/world/scenery. Right?

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:

> We did tell you, didn't we, that you can download the FSG mesh for
> free? Not for the whole world, just the United States -- a gift from
> the author to the flightsim community. See
> http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=justin+t...
> scen&Go=Search It goes on for several pages.

July 13, 2005 2:38:03 AM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

Thanks for the tip. I am downloading like crazy. All I do is place the
..bgl file in scenery/world/scenery. Right?

That's right. One more thing: to get the full benefit of 38m scenery
you need to edit one line in your fs9.cfg file. Found it?* Make a
backup copy. Now, open up fs9.cfg (not the backup) in Notepad. Find the
line that says TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL. Now, whatever number is after
the "equals" sign, change it to 20 so the line reads

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20

Save and quit. That's it! Fire up the sim and enjoy high resolution
terrain!

* Not sure where your fs9.cfg file is? See the FS2004 FAQ on
flightsim.com: http://www.kensalter.com/fs9configurator/

July 14, 2005 1:53:51 AM

Everything downloaded, Terrain Vertex Level = 20.

Looks pretty good, and I am queing up for UT. Thanks all for the help.