Scan disk & Defrag problems

Been working on an older HP4445 with Win98. Doing a lot of system maintenance
with spyware/virus programs, but having a problem with scan disk. When I try
to run defrag, it stops at 4% checking drive for errors, and says that the
defrag can't be completed due to errors. Run ScanDisk. When I try to run
ScanDisk, it always hangs (progress bar) near the "A" in "Advanced" over on
right side of window. If computer freezes and then is rebooted, the
automatic scan starts. If I let that run, it hangs at 85%. Is there any test
or other thing I can try?? Please help.
PS. I always use AdAware and SpyBot. My friend paid for NoAdware and
SpyBlocsv3.0. Does anybody know if these are any good? Is it OK to run 2
adware and 2 spyware programs? ( I know I shouldn't run 2 anti-virus programs
at same time.) AdAware caught 150+ items even after I had run NoAdware.
Thanks.
--
Barb Zakrzewski
4 answers Last reply

    "Barbara Z" <BarbaraZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FDF4371-EE64-4739-BDE1-54456F24828F@microsoft.com...
    > Been working on an older HP4445 with Win98. Doing a lot of system maintenance
    > with spyware/virus programs, but having a problem with scan disk. When I try
    > to run defrag, it stops at 4% checking drive for errors, and says that the
    > defrag can't be completed due to errors. Run ScanDisk. When I try to run
    > ScanDisk, it always hangs (progress bar) near the "A" in "Advanced" over on
    > right side of window. If computer freezes and then is rebooted, the
    > automatic scan starts. If I let that run, it hangs at 85%. Is there any test
    > or other thing I can try?? Please help.

    If "the automatic scan" DOS version is hanging then you likely have serious
    disk problems. Download and run the diagnostics from the disk manufacturer's
    web-site. Most have these programs freely available.

    Stay away from defrag until you get it straigtened out. If you're having disk I/O
    problems, doing a defrag is about the last thing you want to do.

    Re: NoAdware and SpyBlocs, I suggest you stay far away from them, and recommend to
    your friend that he/she do so also. SpyBlocs is a rogue anti-spyware app, meaning
    it creates false positives and actully installs spyware/adware. NoAdware has a very
    poor record and is not recommended. See here for more:
    SpyBlocs:
    http://castlecops.com/startuplist-4655.html
    NoAdware:
    http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000023.html

    Re: your scandisk problem, reboot and start in DOS mode (Command Prompt Only), then
    run scandisk in DOS.
    -Start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows 98 Startup menu
    (boot menu) appears.
    -Use the arrow keys to select "Command Prompt Only" and press Enter.
    -Type the following and press Enter:
    scandisk c: /surface
    -When done, you will be back at the C:\ prompt. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot.

    You can also run the diagnostics for your brand on hard drive.
    If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the limited-use free
    edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

    When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free edition, you
    will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site, then you will be able to
    download the diskette creator file.

    The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a working Windows
    system and will guide you through the process of extracting the Data Advisor onto a
    3.5" floppy disk.

    Download and Use Instructions:
    http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

    As far as I know, Maxtor's diagnostics will also work with any brand of drive.

    Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

    OnTrack Data Advisor:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
    IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
    Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
    http://support.wdc.com/download/
    Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
    Seagate SeaTools:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
    Download:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Barbara Z" <BarbaraZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Been working on an older HP4445 with Win98. Doing a lot of system maintenance
    > with spyware/virus programs, but having a problem with scan disk. When I try
    > to run defrag, it stops at 4% checking drive for errors, and says that the
    > defrag can't be completed due to errors. Run ScanDisk. When I try to run
    > ScanDisk, it always hangs (progress bar) near the "A" in "Advanced" over on
    > right side of window. If computer freezes and then is rebooted, the
    > automatic scan starts. If I let that run, it hangs at 85%. Is there any test
    > or other thing I can try?? Please help.
    > PS. I always use AdAware and SpyBot. My friend paid for NoAdware and
    > SpyBlocsv3.0. Does anybody know if these are any good? Is it OK to run 2
    > adware and 2 spyware programs? ( I know I shouldn't run 2 anti-virus programs
    > at same time.) AdAware caught 150+ items even after I had run NoAdware.
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Barb Zakrzewski

    Try this.

    Make sure you have any anti-virus program disable when performing defrag or
    scandisk. Also make sure any screen saver program is disable and any other
    program that is running on back ground.

    HTH

    "Barbara Z" <BarbaraZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Been working on an older HP4445 with Win98. Doing a lot of system
    maintenance
    > with spyware/virus programs, but having a problem with scan disk. When I
    try
    > to run defrag, it stops at 4% checking drive for errors, and says that the
    > defrag can't be completed due to errors. Run ScanDisk. When I try to run
    > ScanDisk, it always hangs (progress bar) near the "A" in "Advanced" over
    on
    > right side of window. If computer freezes and then is rebooted, the
    > automatic scan starts. If I let that run, it hangs at 85%. Is there any
    test
    > or other thing I can try?? Please help.
    > PS. I always use AdAware and SpyBot. My friend paid for NoAdware and
    > SpyBlocsv3.0. Does anybody know if these are any good? Is it OK to run 2
    > adware and 2 spyware programs? ( I know I shouldn't run 2 anti-virus
    programs
    > at same time.) AdAware caught 150+ items even after I had run NoAdware.
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Barb Zakrzewski

    the drive might be failing, boot to dos and try the DOS scandisk, it is
    'rougher' and may be able to finish the scan past the 85% dead point. If the
    scan does find a bad drive it is probably easier/cheaper to replace it now
    while it works than later when it doesnt.

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    _

    "Barbara Z" <BarbaraZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Been working on an older HP4445 with Win98. Doing a lot of system
    maintenance
    > with spyware/virus programs, but having a problem with scan disk. When I
    try
    > to run defrag, it stops at 4% checking drive for errors, and says that the
    > defrag can't be completed due to errors. Run ScanDisk. When I try to run
    > ScanDisk, it always hangs (progress bar) near the "A" in "Advanced" over
    on
    > right side of window. If computer freezes and then is rebooted, the
    > automatic scan starts. If I let that run, it hangs at 85%. Is there any
    test
    > or other thing I can try?? Please help.
    > PS. I always use AdAware and SpyBot. My friend paid for NoAdware and
    > SpyBlocsv3.0. Does anybody know if these are any good? Is it OK to run 2
    > adware and 2 spyware programs? ( I know I shouldn't run 2 anti-virus
    programs
    > at same time.) AdAware caught 150+ items even after I had run NoAdware.
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Barb Zakrzewski

Defragment Windows