Win98SE over Win98 OEM

I picked up a copy of Win98SE upgrade & I was thinking about installing it
on top of my Win98 OEM. Is this going to cause problems? I have installed
SP2 on my OEM installation, will I have to reinstall SP2? I have a dual boot
with XP Pro, will this screw up my dual boot?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about win98se win98

    You'll be *much* better off in the long run if you clean install SE.
    Even if you have to re-install your OEM setup first. Whether you do or
    not depends on the nature of the OEM Setup. You have to show SE setup
    the qualifying OS installer (a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Setup CD, or
    even Win95 or Win3.11FWG floppy disk or ten) in order to Upgrade, and if
    the OEM installer isn't standard fare, it won't pass muster.

    Installing SE Upgrade over a fully updated FE installation usually
    results in DLL Hell and broken updates/patches, even messed up
    applications on occasion. Fixing that situation is usually more
    difficult that just wiping the slate and starting over. As Ron says, XP
    people will know how to re-establish the multi-boot setup.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I picked up a copy of Win98SE upgrade & I was thinking about
    installing it
    > on top of my Win98 OEM. Is this going to cause problems? I have
    installed
    > SP2 on my OEM installation, will I have to reinstall SP2? I have a
    dual boot
    > with XP Pro, will this screw up my dual boot?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you mean IE6 SP2, then yes, you might run into problems in that it will
    probably need to be reinstalled. I don't think the SE upgrade will screw up
    the XP boot loader but if it does, the people in an XP newsgroup can tell
    you how to easily fix it.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I picked up a copy of Win98SE upgrade & I was thinking about installing it
    > on top of my Win98 OEM. Is this going to cause problems? I have installed
    > SP2 on my OEM installation, will I have to reinstall SP2? I have a dual
    > boot
    > with XP Pro, will this screw up my dual boot?
    >
    > Thanks

    I agree with you Gary. A backup and clean install would be best for the
    user. I do not know if an OEM cd will pass the test of being an acceptable
    piece of software. The user could always check with Microsoft if it is
    acceptable but I think it may be okay.

    :
    : Installing SE Upgrade over a fully updated FE installation usually
    : results in DLL Hell and broken updates/patches, even messed up
    : applications on occasion. Fixing that situation is usually more
    : difficult that just wiping the slate and starting over. As Ron says, XP
    : people will know how to re-establish the multi-boot setup.
    :
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    :
    : "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : news:Od0mHktEFHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : > I picked up a copy of Win98SE upgrade & I was thinking about
    : installing it
    : > on top of my Win98 OEM. Is this going to cause problems? I have
    : installed
    : > SP2 on my OEM installation, will I have to reinstall SP2? I have a
    : dual boot
    : > with XP Pro, will this screw up my dual boot?
    : >
    : > Thanks
    : >
    : >
    :

    Generic OEM CDs, the ones that have Windows logo and say "For
    installation on new hardware only" or some such, work fine. It's when
    the OEM has ripped apart the usual installation files and renamed them
    (usually with an _underline_ in place of the last letter in the
    extension) or is using an Image Restore type disk that they won't
    usually qualify as upgrade eligible media.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

Microsoft OEM Windows