Flight Simulator Freezing Up

Hello everyone. Everytime I run Flight Simulator, it freezes my
computer. I will be running a flight for sometimes as little as 5
minutes before it freezes up. I tried defragging my computer, freeing
up memory, updating windows, and running many anti-spyware utilities to
kill anything that might be taking up memory. This just started a
couple days ago. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this
problem, please post back. Thankyou.

More about flight simulator freezing

    A300_Snippy wrote:
    > Hello everyone. Everytime I run Flight Simulator, it freezes my
    > computer. I will be running a flight for sometimes as little as 5
    > minutes before it freezes up. I tried defragging my computer, freeing
    > up memory, updating windows, and running many anti-spyware utilities
    > to kill anything that might be taking up memory. This just started a
    > couple days ago. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this
    > problem, please post back. Thankyou.

    Is it a hot summer where you are? This could be an overheating problem. Try
    opening the case and placing a room fan by it. Then have another go. If it
    is this, you can increase the size of your power unit and fan and also add a
    special fan in a spare PCI slot if you have one.

    Cheers
    Quilljar

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Qs:

    * Does it only lock up in FS, or will it lock up if you just leave at the
    desktop as well?
    * Did the locking up problem coincide with the installation of any other
    software or hardware (MS updates & AV updates included)

    Andy

    > A300_Snippy wrote:
    >> Hello everyone. Everytime I run Flight Simulator, it freezes my
    >> computer. I will be running a flight for sometimes as little as 5
    >> minutes before it freezes up. I tried defragging my computer, freeing
    >> up memory, updating windows, and running many anti-spyware utilities
    >> to kill anything that might be taking up memory. This just started a
    >> couple days ago. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this
    >> problem, please post back. Thankyou.

    its not very hot - im by the ocean, i think i might have fixed, im not
    sure yet. I just did a system restore to before it started, i'll let
    you know how things go.

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:37:39 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >A300_Snippy wrote:
    >> Hello everyone. Everytime I run Flight Simulator, it freezes my
    >> computer. I will be running a flight for sometimes as little as 5
    >> minutes before it freezes up. I tried defragging my computer, freeing
    >> up memory, updating windows, and running many anti-spyware utilities
    >> to kill anything that might be taking up memory. This just started a
    >> couple days ago. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this
    >> problem, please post back. Thankyou.
    >
    >Is it a hot summer where you are? This could be an overheating problem. Try
    >opening the case and placing a room fan by it. Then have another go. If it
    >is this, you can increase the size of your power unit and fan and also add a
    >special fan in a spare PCI slot if you have one.

    If it's in fact a cooling problem.. then have a look at these:

    http://www.mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/fans.asp

    sounds like a joke right.. but last spring the rear-panel case fan got
    noisy and slow.. and not wanting to loose another SCSI drive.. got a
    replacement unit above.. `TurboFlow FanMod 80mm' .. and let me tell
    you that thing moves some air. There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.)
    side-by-side in a tunnel and in front of that assembly is a horizontal
    rack of 10k SCSI drives.

    The FanMod is NOT quiet by any means.. but it moves LOTS of air..
    (not Whisperfan, Turbofan) and was delighted by how well it worked!!

    -Gregory

    >Cheers
    >Quilljar
    >

    >Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    >http://www.livtech.co.uk

    an easy way to fix cooling problems which is something I get due to
    overclocking my cpu is just opening the case and cleaning the dust off the
    heat sink with a can of air, get all the dust out the case and then put it
    back together, when mine starts to get too hot FS will have a slight pause
    every 3 seconds or so.

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:11:51 -0400, "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >an easy way to fix cooling problems which is something I get due to
    >overclocking my cpu is just opening the case and cleaning the dust off the
    >heat sink with a can of air, get all the dust out the case and then put it
    >back together, when mine starts to get too hot FS will have a slight pause
    >every 3 seconds or so.

    oh yeah well.. how'd ya' like to have your gauges and engines cut out
    every three seconds or so IRL? :)

    also must comment on mad-man products link below.. I don't recommend
    the round ATA cables, especially the 24" and 36" lengths! The spec is
    18".. and no proof that round TP cables extend it.

    -G

    >"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:37:39 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    >> <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following:

    >>>Is it a hot summer where you are? This could be an overheating problem.
    >>>Try opening the case and placing a room fan by it. Then have another go. If it
    >>>is this, you can increase the size of your power unit and fan and also add a
    >>>special fan in a spare PCI slot if you have one.
    >>>

    >> If it's in fact a cooling problem.. then have a look at these:
    >>
    >> http://www.mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/fans.asp
    >>

    >> sounds like a joke right.. but last spring the rear-panel case fan got
    >> noisy and slow.. and not wanting to loose another SCSI drive.. got a
    >> replacement unit above.. `TurboFlow FanMod 80mm' .. and let me tell
    >> you that thing moves some air. There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.)
    >> side-by-side in a tunnel and in front of that assembly is a horizontal
    >> rack of 10k SCSI drives.
    >>
    >> The FanMod is NOT quiet by any means.. but it moves LOTS of air..
    >> (not Whisperfan, Turbofan) and was delighted by how well it worked!!
    >>

    >> -Gregory
    >>

    >>>Cheers
    >>>Quilljar
    >>>

    >>>Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    >>>http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Hi Gregory,

    " There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.) side-by-side in a tunnel and in
    front of that assembly is a horizontal
    rack of 10k SCSI drives....."

    Strewth, mate - with that amount of hard drive space, you could get
    Downloader Bob a little nervous about losing his Title if you really put
    your mind to it!! :-))

    Regards,
    John ward

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:37:39 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    > <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    > attention:
    >
    >>A300_Snippy wrote:
    >>> Hello everyone. Everytime I run Flight Simulator, it freezes my
    >>> computer. I will be running a flight for sometimes as little as 5
    >>> minutes before it freezes up. I tried defragging my computer, freeing
    >>> up memory, updating windows, and running many anti-spyware utilities
    >>> to kill anything that might be taking up memory. This just started a
    >>> couple days ago. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this
    >>> problem, please post back. Thankyou.
    >>
    >>Is it a hot summer where you are? This could be an overheating problem.
    >>Try
    >>opening the case and placing a room fan by it. Then have another go. If it
    >>is this, you can increase the size of your power unit and fan and also add
    >>special fan in a spare PCI slot if you have one.
    >>

    > If it's in fact a cooling problem.. then have a look at these:
    >
    > http://www.mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/fans.asp
    >

    > sounds like a joke right.. but last spring the rear-panel case fan got
    > noisy and slow.. and not wanting to loose another SCSI drive.. got a
    > replacement unit above.. `TurboFlow FanMod 80mm' .. and let me tell
    > you that thing moves some air. There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.)
    > side-by-side in a tunnel and in front of that assembly is a horizontal
    > rack of 10k SCSI drives.
    >
    > The FanMod is NOT quiet by any means.. but it moves LOTS of air..
    > (not Whisperfan, Turbofan) and was delighted by how well it worked!!
    >

    > -Gregory
    >

    >>Cheers
    >>Quilljar
    >>

    >>Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    >>http://www.livtech.co.uk

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:28:39 -0700, "John ward"
    <johnrmward@opyusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

    >Hi Gregory,
    >
    > " There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.) side-by-side in a tunnel and in
    >front of that assembly is a horizontal
    >rack of 10k SCSI drives....."
    >
    >Strewth, mate - with that amount of hard drive space, you could get
    >Downloader Bob a little nervous about losing his Title if you really put
    >your mind to it!! :-))
    >
    >Regards,
    >John ward

    aww John.. there aren't 10,000 hard drives!! only four.
    it means 10,000 RPM spindles. you're a humorous guy
    sometimes.. yep! Thing is.. don't spend way too much
    on hardware like in this example.. you'll be stuck with it
    when everyone else has 4x or 5x the CPU power.

    -G

    >"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:37:39 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    >> <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    >> attention:

    >>>Is it a hot summer where you are? This could be an overheating problem. Try
    >>>opening the case and placing a room fan by it. Then have another go. If it
    >>>is this, you can increase the size of your power unit and fan and also add a
    >>>special fan in a spare PCI slot if you have one.
    >>>

    >> If it's in fact a cooling problem.. then have a look at these:
    >>
    >> http://www.mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/fans.asp
    >>

    >> sounds like a joke right.. but last spring the rear-panel case fan got
    >> noisy and slow.. and not wanting to loose another SCSI drive.. got a
    >> replacement unit above.. `TurboFlow FanMod 80mm' .. and let me tell
    >> you that thing moves some air. There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.)
    >> side-by-side in a tunnel and in front of that assembly is a horizontal
    >> rack of 10k SCSI drives.
    >>
    >> The FanMod is NOT quiet by any means.. but it moves LOTS of air..
    >> (not Whisperfan, Turbofan) and was delighted by how well it worked!!
    >>

    >> -Gregory
    >>

    >>>Cheers
    >>>Quilljar
    >>>

    >>>Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    >>>http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Hi Gregory,

    I've just set up a system with three 160 GB SATA drives - one has Win Xp
    Pro + FS9 + everything else, one is a storage drive, and the third one has
    x64-Bit Win Xp Pro + FS9.

    CPU is an AMD64 4000+, and I finally upgraded from my 32 MB TNT2 to a
    Saphire 256 MB ATI Radeon X850 XT PE graphics card, and 2 GB of matched
    RAM..

    It's a Dual-Boot setup - just toggle whichever one you want to use.

    I guess Downloader can relax, then?

    Regards,
    John Ward
    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:28:39 -0700, "John ward"
    > <johnrmward@opyusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>Hi Gregory,
    >>
    >> " There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.) side-by-side in a tunnel and in
    >>front of that assembly is a horizontal
    >>rack of 10k SCSI drives....."
    >>
    >>Strewth, mate - with that amount of hard drive space, you could get
    >>Downloader Bob a little nervous about losing his Title if you really put
    >>your mind to it!! :-))
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>John ward
    >
    > aww John.. there aren't 10,000 hard drives!! only four.
    > it means 10,000 RPM spindles. you're a humorous guy
    > sometimes.. yep! Thing is.. don't spend way too much
    > on hardware like in this example.. you'll be stuck with it
    > when everyone else has 4x or 5x the CPU power.
    >
    > -G
    >

    >>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:37:39 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    >>> <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    >>> attention:

    >>> If it's in fact a cooling problem.. then have a look at these:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mdmm.com/products/techietoyz/fans.asp
    >>>

    >>> sounds like a joke right.. but last spring the rear-panel case fan got
    >>> noisy and slow.. and not wanting to loose another SCSI drive.. got a
    >>> replacement unit above.. `TurboFlow FanMod 80mm' .. and let me tell
    >>> you that thing moves some air. There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.)
    >>> side-by-side in a tunnel and in front of that assembly is a horizontal
    >>> rack of 10k SCSI drives.
    >>>
    >>> The FanMod is NOT quiet by any means.. but it moves LOTS of air..
    >>> (not Whisperfan, Turbofan) and was delighted by how well it worked!!
    >>>

    >>> -Gregory

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:45:28 -0700, "John ward"
    <johnrmward@opyusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

    >Hi Gregory,
    >
    > I've just set up a system with three 160 GB SATA drives - one has Win Xp
    >Pro + FS9 + everything else, one is a storage drive, and the third one has
    >x64-Bit Win Xp Pro + FS9.
    >
    > CPU is an AMD64 4000+, and I finally upgraded from my 32 MB TNT2 to a
    >Saphire 256 MB ATI Radeon X850 XT PE graphics card, and 2 GB of matched
    >RAM..
    >
    > It's a Dual-Boot setup - just toggle whichever one you want to use.
    >
    > I guess Downloader can relax, then?

    So you already DID spend way too much on hardware!! :)

    Back when times were good.. one could invest in computer companies
    and buy systems with the proceeds. That is with all the Corps, Gvmnts,
    and Mil Orgs buying PCs, routers, and switches.. how could the stocks
    NOT go up!!

    Glad that you're not stuck with a cruddy old Sim platform!!

    -Gregory

    >Regards,
    >John Ward
    >"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:28:39 -0700, "John ward"
    >> <johnrmward@opyusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
    >>
    >>>Hi Gregory,
    >>>
    >>> " There are two Xeon CPUs (25watt ea.) side-by-side in a tunnel and in
    >>>front of that assembly is a horizontal
    >>>rack of 10k SCSI drives....."
    >>>
    >>>Strewth, mate - with that amount of hard drive space, you could get
    >>>Downloader Bob a little nervous about losing his Title if you really put
    >>>your mind to it!! :-))
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>John ward
    >>
    >> aww John.. there aren't 10,000 hard drives!! only four.
    >> it means 10,000 RPM spindles. you're a humorous guy
    >> sometimes.. yep! Thing is.. don't spend way too much
    >> on hardware like in this example.. you'll be stuck with it
    >> when everyone else has 4x or 5x the CPU power.
    >>
    >> -G

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 07:37:39 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    > <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    > attention:
    >
    > >A300_Snippy wrote:
    > >> Hello everyone. Everytime I run Flight Simulator, it freezes my
    > >> computer. I will be running a flight for sometimes as little as 5
    > >> minutes before it freezes up. I tried defragging my computer, freeing
    > >> up memory, updating windows, and running many anti-spyware utilities
    > >> to kill anything that might be taking up memory. This just started a
    > >> couple days ago. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this
    > >> problem, please post back. Thankyou.

    Happens to me when I change RAM timing from "normal" to "fast" in BIOS.
    Did you overclock your system?

    Fly outside the freezing level!

    - Barney
    "A300_Snippy" <A300_Snippy@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone. Everytime I run Flight Simulator, it freezes my
    > computer. I will be running a flight for sometimes as little as 5
    > minutes before it freezes up. I tried defragging my computer, freeing
    > up memory, updating windows, and running many anti-spyware utilities to
    > kill anything that might be taking up memory. This just started a
    > couple days ago. If you have any suggestions on how to fix this
    > problem, please post back. Thankyou.

    how???

    Others might have the same problem later and find this thread in a google
    search

    > thanks anyway fella's, but i fixed the problem ;)

Computers Video Games