Starting a program before windows loads

Paul

Splendid

What exactly do I enter and where if I want a program to run before I log
into Windows 98 VIA Client for Microsoft Networks.

For example I want to run: C:\PROGRA~1\LINKSYS\WIRELE~1\Startup.exe

Basically I am having the problem with a Wireless network card. If I try to
log in after turning on the computer it will not because it does not see the
domain or network. However if I bypass the login and load into windows, the
Wireless utility (Startup.exe) loads and then I can LOGOFF USER, not turn
the computer off...and then I can log in.

What I want to do is have this program run so that it executues before I try
to log in.

How do I do it?
thanks.

Paul

Splendid

also I added
run=C:\PROGRA~1\LINKSYS\WIRELE~1\Startup.exe
to Win.ini to C:\Windows
but this did not work at all.

"Paul" wrote:

> What exactly do I enter and where if I want a program to run before I log
> into Windows 98 VIA Client for Microsoft Networks.
>
> For example I want to run: C:\PROGRA~1\LINKSYS\WIRELE~1\Startup.exe
>
> Basically I am having the problem with a Wireless network card. If I try to
> log in after turning on the computer it will not because it does not see the
> domain or network. However if I bypass the login and load into windows, the
> Wireless utility (Startup.exe) loads and then I can LOGOFF USER, not turn
> the computer off...and then I can log in.
>
> What I want to do is have this program run so that it executues before I try
> to log in.
>
> How do I do it?
> thanks.

Put it in the RunServices key in the Registry. That is accessed before
user login.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

For more information...
Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/3/65.asp

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Paul"
<Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>What exactly do I enter and where if I want a program to run before I log
>into Windows 98 VIA Client for Microsoft Networks.
>
>For example I want to run: C:\PROGRA~1\LINKSYS\WIRELE~1\Startup.exe
>
>Basically I am having the problem with a Wireless network card. If I try to
>log in after turning on the computer it will not because it does not see the
>domain or network. However if I bypass the login and load into windows, the
>Wireless utility (Startup.exe) loads and then I can LOGOFF USER, not turn
>the computer off...and then I can log in.
>
>What I want to do is have this program run so that it executues before I try
>to log in.
>
>How do I do it?
>thanks.

Paul

Splendid

OK I created a key called Wireless and added the Value C:\Pro.....etc to
RunServices

still nothing, the wireless card wil not see the network and therefore I
can not log in. However if I bypass login, sit in windows for a minute or
so and then logout and try to log back in without shutting down I am able to
get in.

Any ideas?

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> Put it in the RunServices key in the Registry. That is accessed before
> user login.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
>
> For more information...
> Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/3/65.asp
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Paul"
> <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >What exactly do I enter and where if I want a program to run before I log
> >into Windows 98 VIA Client for Microsoft Networks.
> >
> >For example I want to run: C:\PROGRA~1\LINKSYS\WIRELE~1\Startup.exe
> >
> >Basically I am having the problem with a Wireless network card. If I try to
> >log in after turning on the computer it will not because it does not see the
> >domain or network. However if I bypass the login and load into windows, the
> >Wireless utility (Startup.exe) loads and then I can LOGOFF USER, not turn
> >the computer off...and then I can log in.
> >
> >What I want to do is have this program run so that it executues before I try
> >to log in.
> >
> >How do I do it?
> >thanks.

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wow, Alan. I just noticed that you still use the tag that you are a 95/98
MVP and here I thought only Ron still used the 98 tag. LOL!!

:
: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
:
: For more information...
: Run, RunOnce, RunServices, RunServicesOnce and Startup
: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q179/3/65.asp
:
: ...Alan
:
: --
: Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
: http://dts-l.org/index.html
:
:
: In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Paul"
: <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
:
: >What exactly do I enter and where if I want a program to run before I log
: >into Windows 98 VIA Client for Microsoft Networks.
: >
: >For example I want to run: C:\PROGRA~1\LINKSYS\WIRELE~1\Startup.exe
: >
: >Basically I am having the problem with a Wireless network card. If I try
: >log in after turning on the computer it will not because it does not see
the
: >domain or network. However if I bypass the login and load into windows,
the
: >Wireless utility (Startup.exe) loads and then I can LOGOFF USER, not turn
: >the computer off...and then I can log in.
: >
: >What I want to do is have this program run so that it executues before I
try
: >to log in.
: >
: >How do I do it?
: >thanks.
:

I thought you had promised to leave us for a week!
If young Ron can use it, then I certainly can.

....Alan