windows clock

Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It seems to
fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim
19 answers Last reply
More about windows clock

    Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your motherboard
    battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when you
    restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs. The
    technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions are to
    1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along without
    them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic click and
    synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I don't
    have any recommendations.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It
    seems to
    > fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

    Thanks for these pointers--I just reset the time so I'll have to wait to
    check if the clock resets upon restart. But if the motherboard battery is
    going dead, what do I do for that! I've never even heard of a motherboard
    battery. What does it do? Thanks again, Tim

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your motherboard
    > battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when you
    > restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs. The
    > technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions are to
    > 1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along without
    > them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic click and
    > synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I don't
    > have any recommendations.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It
    > seems to
    > > fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

    The motherboard battery is typically a disk-type such as you find in
    watches, though much larger than a watch battery. About /8 to 1 inch in
    diameter. It's in a clip mounting, relatively easy to swap--*if* the
    case is arranged to make it easy to get to. You won't know what model
    battery until you remove the old one unless your motherboard
    documentation includes the info.

    As Dan notes, malware (viruses, spyware, adware) sometimes has this
    effect, also, though it is certainly not limited to such. It can eve be
    a simple procedure like moving a ton of files that will cause the
    slowdown. However, since yours is a chronic affair, I'd suspect malware
    or a background app or an app that you use heavily.

    For suggestions on malware removal and protection, and hints on how to
    create a Clean Boot environment suitable for starting a trouble-shooting
    procedure, see the articles in my signature.

    --

    > Thanks for these pointers--I just reset the time so I'll have to wait
    > check if the clock resets upon restart. But if the motherboard battery
    is
    > going dead, what do I do for that! I've never even heard of a
    motherboard
    > battery. What does it do? Thanks again, Tim
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your
    motherboard
    > > battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when you
    > > restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs. The
    > > technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions are
    > > 1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along
    without
    > > them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic click
    and
    > > synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I don't
    > > have any recommendations.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time.
    It
    > > seems to
    > > > fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

    It is possibly due to malware. I had a case a few years ago where my 98SE
    clock kept losing time and it was due to malware. Adaware fixed the problem.

    "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It seems
    : fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

    the motherboard has a small battery often like a large watch battery, to
    keep the BIOS information that is stored in a cmos chip current and
    accurate, as the battery goes flat services that run off it, like the clock
    when the pc is off, fail. When the battery is flat enough that the clock
    starts to fail other information, like drive types and bios passwords is
    sure to follow,

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    _

    "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for these pointers--I just reset the time so I'll have to wait to
    > check if the clock resets upon restart. But if the motherboard battery is
    > going dead, what do I do for that! I've never even heard of a motherboard
    > battery. What does it do? Thanks again, Tim
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your motherboard
    > > battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when you
    > > restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs. The
    > > technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions are to
    > > 1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along without
    > > them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic click and
    > > synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I don't
    > > have any recommendations.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It
    > > seems to
    > > > fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:37:06 -0800, Tim
    <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It seems to
    >fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

    Tim,

    In addition to the other reasons it can also be caused by a
    Screensaver or a program using a timing routine. A certain Norton
    feature loading at boot can also cause it. If it loses time when the
    machine is off it's the battery. Some machines use a capacitor
    instead of a battery.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

    When I posted my previous response here, I had just started a Copy
    operation of some 16 GB on a WIn98SE system (fresh install.) Copying my
    wife's entire WinXP system to another drive. (Old drive went bad.) It's
    been running about an hour and a half--and has lost 20 minutes on the
    clock.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Bill Watt" <nobwatt@epix.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:37:06 -0800, Tim
    > <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It
    seems to
    > >fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim
    >
    > Tim,
    >
    > In addition to the other reasons it can also be caused by a
    > Screensaver or a program using a timing routine. A certain Norton
    > feature loading at boot can also cause it. If it loses time when the
    > machine is off it's the battery. Some machines use a capacitor
    > instead of a battery.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bill Watt
    > Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

    Thanks for the information, Bill. Yet another reason to avoid Norton
    (Symantec) programs. I have very little use and patience for all the
    problems that Symantec brings onto Microsoft operating systems.

    :
    : >Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It seems
    : >fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim
    :
    : Tim,
    :
    : In addition to the other reasons it can also be caused by a
    : Screensaver or a program using a timing routine. A certain Norton
    : feature loading at boot can also cause it. If it loses time when the
    : machine is off it's the battery. Some machines use a capacitor
    : instead of a battery.
    :
    : Regards,
    :
    : Bill Watt
    : Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
    :

    PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure to
    go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings there.
    You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > The motherboard battery is typically a disk-type such as you find in
    > watches, though much larger than a watch battery. About /8 to 1 inch
    in
    > diameter. It's in a clip mounting, relatively easy to swap--*if* the
    > case is arranged to make it easy to get to. You won't know what model
    > battery until you remove the old one unless your motherboard
    > documentation includes the info.
    >
    > As Dan notes, malware (viruses, spyware, adware) sometimes has this
    > effect, also, though it is certainly not limited to such. It can eve
    be
    > a simple procedure like moving a ton of files that will cause the
    > slowdown. However, since yours is a chronic affair, I'd suspect
    malware
    > or a background app or an app that you use heavily.
    >
    > For suggestions on malware removal and protection, and hints on how to
    > create a Clean Boot environment suitable for starting a
    trouble-shooting
    > procedure, see the articles in my signature.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for these pointers--I just reset the time so I'll have to
    wait
    > > check if the clock resets upon restart. But if the motherboard
    battery
    > is
    > > going dead, what do I do for that! I've never even heard of a
    > motherboard
    > > battery. What does it do? Thanks again, Tim
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your
    > motherboard
    > > > battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when
    you
    > > > restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs.
    The
    > > > technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions
    are
    > > > 1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along
    > without
    > > > them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic
    click
    > and
    > > > synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I
    don't
    > > > have any recommendations.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > > >
    > > > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It
    > > > seems to

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:13:40 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >When I posted my previous response here, I had just started a Copy
    >operation of some 16 GB on a WIn98SE system (fresh install.) Copying my
    >wife's entire WinXP system to another drive. (Old drive went bad.) It's
    >been running about an hour and a half--and has lost 20 minutes on the
    >clock.

    We'll have to add that to the list of causes. :-)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > When I posted my previous response here, I had just started a Copy
    > operation of some 16 GB on a WIn98SE system (fresh install.) Copying
    > my wife's entire WinXP system to another drive. (Old drive went bad.)
    > It's been running about an hour and a half--and has lost 20 minutes
    > on the clock.

    Don't know about now but in "the old days" interrupts had to be disabled
    before all disk (floppy) read/writes and a DI meant the clock lost time.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > When I posted my previous response here, I had just started a Copy
    > > operation of some 16 GB on a WIn98SE system (fresh install.) Copying
    > > my wife's entire WinXP system to another drive. (Old drive went
    bad.)
    > > It's been running about an hour and a half--and has lost 20 minutes
    > > on the clock.
    >
    > Don't know about now but in "the old days" interrupts had to be
    disabled
    > before all disk (floppy) read/writes and a DI meant the clock lost
    time.

    Yup, and that's also the case for many other low-level operations.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure to
    > go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings there.
    > You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.

    Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
    couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

    There are such utilities, yes. But you have to get past BIOS to load a
    floppy. While there's not likely to be any problem doing that, I prefer
    going straight into BIOS and configuring before *anything* else.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure
    > > go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings
    there.
    > > You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.
    > >

    > Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
    > couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
    > --
    > To reply by email remove "_nospam"

    "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > > PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure to
    > > go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings there.
    > > You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.
    > >

    > Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
    > couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
    > --
    > To reply by email remove "_nospam"

    Yes. There are programs available to do that.

    I know I have one lying around somewhere,
    perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.

    I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
    or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    >>
    >>>PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure to
    >>>go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings there.
    >>>You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.
    >>>

    >>Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
    >>couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
    >>--
    >>To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    >

    > Yes. There are programs available to do that.
    >
    > I know I have one lying around somewhere,
    > perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.
    >
    > I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
    > or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.

    I've never written down any of my bios settings. Does the "print screen"
    button work while in the bios. If so maybe I'll just go to the critical
    sections and print them out.

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:17:03 -0500, Chuck
    <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:

    >Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message

    >>>Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
    >>>couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
    >>>--
    >>>To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    >>

    >> Yes. There are programs available to do that.
    >>
    >> I know I have one lying around somewhere,
    >> perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.
    >>
    >> I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
    >> or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.
    >>

    >I've never written down any of my bios settings. Does the "print screen"
    >button work while in the bios. If so maybe I'll just go to the critical
    >sections and print them out.

    Chuck,

    Get Cmossave/cmosrest.zip. It's a small utility. The program will
    record the CMOS settings into a file and restore them whenever
    needed. Read the text file. Put a copy of the CMOS saved file on the
    HDD and a floppy.

    I have version 1.4 but haven't used it.

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:49:26 -0500, Bill Watt <nobwatt@epix.net>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:17:03 -0500, Chuck
    ><skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >>> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message

    >>> Yes. There are programs available to do that.
    >>>
    >>> I know I have one lying around somewhere,
    >>> perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.
    >>>
    >>> I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
    >>> or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.
    >>>

    >>I've never written down any of my bios settings. Does the "print screen"
    >>button work while in the bios. If so maybe I'll just go to the critical
    >>sections and print them out.
    >
    >Chuck,
    >
    >Get Cmossave/cmosrest.zip. It's a small utility. The program will
    >record the CMOS settings into a file and restore them whenever
    >needed. Read the text file. Put a copy of the CMOS saved file on the
    >HDD and a floppy.
    >
    >http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4049.html
    >
    >I have version 1.4 but haven't used it.

    I just got ver 3.8. The Ga download site didn't work but the Fla.
    one did. It's only 29k.

    Don't keep old saves around so you don't accidentally restore an old
    one.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

    Thanks for the information, Bill Watt! I will also investigate and have an
    awesome week!!! :>

    : wrote:
    :
    : >On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:17:03 -0500, Chuck
    : ><skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:
    : >
    : >>Hugh Candlin wrote:
    : >>> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
    : >>> news:37h6uhF5d4vr8U1@individual.net...
    : >>>
    : >>>>Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    : >>>>
    : >>>>>PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure
    : >>>>>go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings
    there.
    : >>>>>You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>
    : >>>>Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
    : >>>>couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
    : >>>>--
    : >>>>To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    : >>>
    : >>>
    : >>> Yes. There are programs available to do that.
    : >>>
    : >>> I know I have one lying around somewhere,
    : >>> perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.
    : >>>
    : >>> I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
    : >>> or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.
    : >>>
    : >>>
    : >>
[...]

Tim Microsoft Windows