windows clock

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 14, 2005 10:37:06 PM

Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It seems to
fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

More about : windows clock

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 10:52:08 PM

Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your motherboard
battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when you
restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs. The
technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions are to
1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along without
them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic click and
synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I don't
have any recommendations.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It
seems to
> fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim
February 14, 2005 11:23:06 PM

Thanks for these pointers--I just reset the time so I'll have to wait to
check if the clock resets upon restart. But if the motherboard battery is
going dead, what do I do for that! I've never even heard of a motherboard
battery. What does it do? Thanks again, Tim

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your motherboard
> battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when you
> restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs. The
> technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions are to
> 1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along without
> them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic click and
> synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I don't
> have any recommendations.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It
> seems to
> > fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

February 14, 2005 11:41:45 PM

The motherboard battery is typically a disk-type such as you find in
watches, though much larger than a watch battery. About /8 to 1 inch in
diameter. It's in a clip mounting, relatively easy to swap--*if* the
case is arranged to make it easy to get to. You won't know what model
battery until you remove the old one unless your motherboard
documentation includes the info.

As Dan notes, malware (viruses, spyware, adware) sometimes has this
effect, also, though it is certainly not limited to such. It can eve be
a simple procedure like moving a ton of files that will cause the
slowdown. However, since yours is a chronic affair, I'd suspect malware
or a background app or an app that you use heavily.

For suggestions on malware removal and protection, and hints on how to
create a Clean Boot environment suitable for starting a trouble-shooting
procedure, see the articles in my signature.

--

> Thanks for these pointers--I just reset the time so I'll have to wait
> check if the clock resets upon restart. But if the motherboard battery
is
> going dead, what do I do for that! I've never even heard of a
motherboard
> battery. What does it do? Thanks again, Tim
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your
motherboard
> > battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when you
> > restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs. The
> > technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions are
> > 1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along
without
> > them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic click
and
> > synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I don't
> > have any recommendations.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time.
It
> > seems to
> > > fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

February 15, 2005 12:25:46 AM

It is possibly due to malware. I had a case a few years ago where my 98SE
clock kept losing time and it was due to malware. Adaware fixed the problem.

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It seems
: fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:37:51 AM

the motherboard has a small battery often like a large watch battery, to
keep the BIOS information that is stored in a cmos chip current and
accurate, as the battery goes flat services that run off it, like the clock
when the pc is off, fail. When the battery is flat enough that the clock
starts to fail other information, like drive types and bios passwords is
sure to follow,

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

"Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for these pointers--I just reset the time so I'll have to wait to
> check if the clock resets upon restart. But if the motherboard battery is
> going dead, what do I do for that! I've never even heard of a motherboard
> battery. What does it do? Thanks again, Tim
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your motherboard
> > battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when you
> > restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs. The
> > technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions are to
> > 1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along without
> > them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic click and
> > synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I don't
> > have any recommendations.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It
> > seems to
> > > fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:01:26 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:37:06 -0800, Tim
<Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It seems to
>fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim

Tim,

In addition to the other reasons it can also be caused by a
Screensaver or a program using a timing routine. A certain Norton
feature loading at boot can also cause it. If it loses time when the
machine is off it's the battery. Some machines use a capacitor
instead of a battery.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:01:27 AM

When I posted my previous response here, I had just started a Copy
operation of some 16 GB on a WIn98SE system (fresh install.) Copying my
wife's entire WinXP system to another drive. (Old drive went bad.) It's
been running about an hour and a half--and has lost 20 minutes on the
clock.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Bill Watt" <nobwatt@epix.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:37:06 -0800, Tim
> <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It
seems to
> >fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim
>
> Tim,
>
> In addition to the other reasons it can also be caused by a
> Screensaver or a program using a timing routine. A certain Norton
> feature loading at boot can also cause it. If it loses time when the
> machine is off it's the battery. Some machines use a capacitor
> instead of a battery.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

February 15, 2005 4:01:27 AM

Thanks for the information, Bill. Yet another reason to avoid Norton
(Symantec) programs. I have very little use and patience for all the
problems that Symantec brings onto Microsoft operating systems.

:
: >Does anybody know why my Windows clock doesn't keep correct time. It seems
: >fall behind the right time. Thanks, Tim
:
: Tim,
:
: In addition to the other reasons it can also be caused by a
: Screensaver or a program using a timing routine. A certain Norton
: feature loading at boot can also cause it. If it loses time when the
: machine is off it's the battery. Some machines use a capacitor
: instead of a battery.
:
: Regards,
:
: Bill Watt
: Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
:
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:14:37 AM

PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure to
go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings there.
You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> The motherboard battery is typically a disk-type such as you find in
> watches, though much larger than a watch battery. About /8 to 1 inch
in
> diameter. It's in a clip mounting, relatively easy to swap--*if* the
> case is arranged to make it easy to get to. You won't know what model
> battery until you remove the old one unless your motherboard
> documentation includes the info.
>
> As Dan notes, malware (viruses, spyware, adware) sometimes has this
> effect, also, though it is certainly not limited to such. It can eve
be
> a simple procedure like moving a ton of files that will cause the
> slowdown. However, since yours is a chronic affair, I'd suspect
malware
> or a background app or an app that you use heavily.
>
> For suggestions on malware removal and protection, and hints on how to
> create a Clean Boot environment suitable for starting a
trouble-shooting
> procedure, see the articles in my signature.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for these pointers--I just reset the time so I'll have to
wait
> > check if the clock resets upon restart. But if the motherboard
battery
> is
> > going dead, what do I do for that! I've never even heard of a
> motherboard
> > battery. What does it do? Thanks again, Tim
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Does it reset to correct time when you restart? If not, your
> motherboard
> > > battery is going dead. If the clock resets to correct time when
you
> > > restart, it's a known problem caused by any number of programs.
The
> > > technical explanation is a bit involved, but the only solutions
are
> > > 1. Determine which program(s) cause the problem and get along
> without
> > > them, or 2. Get an app that regularly checks an online atomic
click
> and
> > > synchronizes your clock. There are many such apps out there. I
don't
> > > have any recommendations.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It
> > > seems to

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 6:17:16 AM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:13:40 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>When I posted my previous response here, I had just started a Copy
>operation of some 16 GB on a WIn98SE system (fresh install.) Copying my
>wife's entire WinXP system to another drive. (Old drive went bad.) It's
>been running about an hour and a half--and has lost 20 minutes on the
>clock.

We'll have to add that to the list of causes. :-)

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:47:57 PM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> When I posted my previous response here, I had just started a Copy
> operation of some 16 GB on a WIn98SE system (fresh install.) Copying
> my wife's entire WinXP system to another drive. (Old drive went bad.)
> It's been running about an hour and a half--and has lost 20 minutes
> on the clock.

Don't know about now but in "the old days" interrupts had to be disabled
before all disk (floppy) read/writes and a DI meant the clock lost time.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
February 15, 2005 3:09:46 PM

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > When I posted my previous response here, I had just started a Copy
> > operation of some 16 GB on a WIn98SE system (fresh install.) Copying
> > my wife's entire WinXP system to another drive. (Old drive went
bad.)
> > It's been running about an hour and a half--and has lost 20 minutes
> > on the clock.
>
> Don't know about now but in "the old days" interrupts had to be
disabled
> before all disk (floppy) read/writes and a DI meant the clock lost
time.

Yup, and that's also the case for many other low-level operations.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure to
> go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings there.
> You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.

Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Anonymous

There are such utilities, yes. But you have to get past BIOS to load a
floppy. While there's not likely to be any problem doing that, I prefer
going straight into BIOS and configuring before *anything* else.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure
> > go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings
there.
> > You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.
> >

> Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
> couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
> --
> To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 1:25:04 PM

"Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure to
> > go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings there.
> > You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.
> >

> Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
> couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
> --
> To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Yes. There are programs available to do that.

I know I have one lying around somewhere,
perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.

I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.
February 17, 2005 5:17:03 PM

Hugh Candlin wrote:
> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
>
>>Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>
>>>PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure to
>>>go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings there.
>>>You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.
>>>

>>Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
>>couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
>>--
>>To reply by email remove "_nospam"
>

> Yes. There are programs available to do that.
>
> I know I have one lying around somewhere,
> perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.
>
> I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
> or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.

I've never written down any of my bios settings. Does the "print screen"
button work while in the bios. If so maybe I'll just go to the critical
sections and print them out.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:49:26 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:17:03 -0500, Chuck
<skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:

>Hugh Candlin wrote:
>> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>>Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
>>>couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
>>>--
>>>To reply by email remove "_nospam"
>>

>> Yes. There are programs available to do that.
>>
>> I know I have one lying around somewhere,
>> perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.
>>
>> I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
>> or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.
>>

>I've never written down any of my bios settings. Does the "print screen"
>button work while in the bios. If so maybe I'll just go to the critical
>sections and print them out.

Chuck,

Get Cmossave/cmosrest.zip. It's a small utility. The program will
record the CMOS settings into a file and restore them whenever
needed. Read the text file. Put a copy of the CMOS saved file on the
HDD and a floppy.

I have version 1.4 but haven't used it.
Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 2:04:22 AM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:49:26 -0500, Bill Watt <nobwatt@epix.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:17:03 -0500, Chuck
><skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>Hugh Candlin wrote:
>>> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message

>>> Yes. There are programs available to do that.
>>>
>>> I know I have one lying around somewhere,
>>> perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.
>>>
>>> I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
>>> or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.
>>>

>>I've never written down any of my bios settings. Does the "print screen"
>>button work while in the bios. If so maybe I'll just go to the critical
>>sections and print them out.
>
>Chuck,
>
>Get Cmossave/cmosrest.zip. It's a small utility. The program will
>record the CMOS settings into a file and restore them whenever
>needed. Read the text file. Put a copy of the CMOS saved file on the
>HDD and a floppy.
>
>http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4049.html
>
>I have version 1.4 but haven't used it.

I just got ver 3.8. The Ga download site didn't work but the Fla.
one did. It's only 29k.

Don't keep old saves around so you don't accidentally restore an old
one.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
February 23, 2005 1:33:40 AM

Thanks for the information, Bill Watt! I will also investigate and have an
awesome week!!! :>

: wrote:
:
: >On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:17:03 -0500, Chuck
: ><skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:
: >
: >>Hugh Candlin wrote:
: >>> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
: >>> news:37h6uhF5d4vr8U1@individual.net...
: >>>
: >>>>Gary S. Terhune wrote:
: >>>>
: >>>>>PS- Tim, if you decide that the mobo battery needs changing, be sure
: >>>>>go into BIOS *before* changing it and write down all the settings
there.
: >>>>>You'll have to reset them after replacing the battery.
: >>>>>
: >>>>
: >>>>Isn't there a way to save the BIOS settings to a floppy (you probably
: >>>>couldn't access the HD after yanking the battery).
: >>>>--
: >>>>To reply by email remove "_nospam"
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> Yes. There are programs available to do that.
: >>>
: >>> I know I have one lying around somewhere,
: >>> perhaps on one of my Resource Kits.
: >>>
: >>> I've never had a need for it. I just use autodetect,
: >>> or punch in the drive parameters stamped on the label.
: >>>
: >>>
: >>
!