Downloading PDF files

I'm using Acrobat 6.0.1. Recently, it's become impossible to download PDF
files, except by right-clicking and selecting "Save Target As" and not
always then. If I just click on a download button, there is download
activity for quite a while (it's dial-up) but when it finishes, there's just
the little coloured icon shapes momentarily, then a square with a white
cross in it. The file seems to have downloaded but where's it gone! I'm
using Win98se.

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire
22 answers Last reply
More about downloading files

    Where it's gone is Temporary Internet Files, if it isn't gone
    altogether. This is a common problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader that they
    seem to have finally solved--knock on wood--with AcroReader 7.

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Syke" <h.macguire@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > I'm using Acrobat 6.0.1. Recently, it's become impossible to download
    PDF
    > files, except by right-clicking and selecting "Save Target As" and not
    > always then. If I just click on a download button, there is download
    > activity for quite a while (it's dial-up) but when it finishes,
    there's just
    > the little coloured icon shapes momentarily, then a square with a
    white
    > cross in it. The file seems to have downloaded but where's it gone!
    I'm
    > using Win98se.
    >

    > Regards and thanks in advance
    >

    > Pat Macguire

    Acrobat Reader v7.0 is for Win2K and WinXP (and Win2003 server).

    Acrobat Reader 6.x may be the last version for the Win9x/ME family.

    --
    Dave

    | Where it's gone is Temporary Internet Files, if it isn't gone
    | altogether. This is a common problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader that they
    | seem to have finally solved--knock on wood--with AcroReader 7.
    |
    | http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

    Oops... Didn't follow the proof of concept far enough... Though it makes
    little sense to me that the highest version they offer for Win98 is 5.5
    when the offer 6.1 for 98SE.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Acrobat Reader v7.0 is for Win2K and WinXP (and Win2003 server).
    >
    > Acrobat Reader 6.x may be the last version for the Win9x/ME family.
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    > | Where it's gone is Temporary Internet Files, if it isn't gone
    > | altogether. This is a common problem with Adobe Acrobat Reader that
    they
    > | seem to have finally solved--knock on wood--with AcroReader 7.
    > |
    > | http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

    There's a much faster (and lighter) PDF reader available
    at http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
    It probably won't support all the plugin stuff, but 99% of
    the PDF's is just text and images, and that's supoorted ok.

    "Bongo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There's a much faster (and lighter) PDF reader available
    > at http://foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
    > It probably won't support all the plugin stuff, but 99% of
    > the PDF's is just text and images, and that's supoorted ok.

    If you don't need all the plug-ins,
    and want to speed up Acrobat Reader, just do what I did

    Find the plug_ins subdirectory.

    Mine happens to be E:\Acrobat\Reader\plug_ins
    although the default will probably be subordinate to
    C:\Program Files in most people's computer.

    Backup the plug_ins subdirectory to plug_ins_backup
    [that's an example - choose your own location]

    Delete all of the files in the original plug_ins subdirectory
    EXCEPT
    EWH32.api
    printme.api
    Search.api

    That's it. If you want to put things back the way they were,
    just delete plug_ins and rename plug_ins_backup to plug_ins

    Just found a small freeware app that does this (speeds up the loading of
    Adobe Acrobat Reader) automatically for you - and more. It's called PDF
    SpeedUp, at web site: http://www.acropdf.com/

    Here is the blurb from their website:

    PDF SpeedUp allows you to significantly speed up the time it takes to load
    Adobe Reader. If you notice that when the Reader starts it loads many
    plug-ins which you may or may not need, this program simply disables the
    plug-ins and loads only the absolute necessary ones so the program starts
    quickly. It offers several options and you can also manually enable or
    disable the plug-ins as needed. PDF SpeedUp works with Acrobat versions 3
    through 7.

    Sounds pretty good to me! I'm gonna try it out later tonite.

    "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Just found a small freeware app that does this (speeds up the loading of
    > Adobe Acrobat Reader) automatically for you - and more.

    I could have written such a program myself,
    but I can and have thought of more useful tasks.

    As far as I am concerned at the moment,
    the changes I posted were a one-shot deal,
    so I had no need to write a program,
    or even create a DOS batch file.

    If your freeware app claims to allow you to reset
    any changes made, and actually does so,
    then I see little risk in using it
    instead of manually effecting the changes I posted.

    But you'll never really be sure unless you disassemble it
    and review what it actually does, line by line.

    I'm not one for loading my machines down
    with a multiplicity of freeware applications.
    I have NO guarantee that they won't overwrite
    a DLL with an older version, and the more
    3rd-party apps you load up with,
    the closer you get to the certainty of DLL Hell.

    And there is usually no way back,
    because the unknown? DLL that was improperly replaced
    may have been an original OS file,
    or it may have been a valid updated version
    acquired during the installation of a previous freeware app.
    How does the average user tell, quickly and easily?

    Manual changes are not necessarily inferior,
    as long as you know what you are doing.

    Conversely, 3rd-part applications are not necessarily inferior,
    as long as you know what THEY are doing.

    Good points, Hugh. And I generally agree with your philosophy.

    The web site http://www.acropdf.com/products.html looks reputable enough
    (they also sell another program there that can convert documents to PDF
    format -so I don't think this is just a program came out of somebody's
    garage).

    I did run SFC just to be sure (I do this fairly routinely after I make such
    changes), and, as I expected, there were no changes (to the DLL files, or
    anything else reported there).

    I believe the program writes its changes directly to the appropriate
    registry keys.
    When Acrobat Reader is up and running, PDF Speedup is listed next to Acrobat
    Reader in the C-A-D task list. Presumably the program can also look for
    calls to the unloaded plugins, if needed (which doing it your more
    fundamental way, you wouldn't be able to).

    When you first install this small program (it's about a 300 KB exe), it
    moves the unneeded plugins (the ones you mentioned) into a new subdirectory
    called "Optional". There is, indeed, a restore button on the programs
    simple interface to restore everything back (if you invoke the program).

    Anyway, I'm just playing with it for now. So far, so good. But I may
    decide your way is a more known quantity, and go back. I'm just not sure at
    this point!

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Just found a small freeware app that does this (speeds up the loading of
    >> Adobe Acrobat Reader) automatically for you - and more.
    >
    > I could have written such a program myself,
    > but I can and have thought of more useful tasks.
    >
    > As far as I am concerned at the moment,
    > the changes I posted were a one-shot deal,
    > so I had no need to write a program,
    > or even create a DOS batch file.
    >
    > If your freeware app claims to allow you to reset
    > any changes made, and actually does so,
    > then I see little risk in using it
    > instead of manually effecting the changes I posted.
    >
    > But you'll never really be sure unless you disassemble it
    > and review what it actually does, line by line.
    >
    > I'm not one for loading my machines down
    > with a multiplicity of freeware applications.
    > I have NO guarantee that they won't overwrite
    > a DLL with an older version, and the more
    > 3rd-party apps you load up with,
    > the closer you get to the certainty of DLL Hell.
    >
    > And there is usually no way back,
    > because the unknown? DLL that was improperly replaced
    > may have been an original OS file,
    > or it may have been a valid updated version
    > acquired during the installation of a previous freeware app.
    > How does the average user tell, quickly and easily?
    >
    > Manual changes are not necessarily inferior,
    > as long as you know what you are doing.
    >
    > Conversely, 3rd-part applications are not necessarily inferior,
    > as long as you know what THEY are doing.

    The more I think about this, Hugh, the more I agree with your philosophy
    here.

    I'm gonna go back and restore everything, reload the previous registry (just
    to be damn sure), and do this the more fundamental - and well defined way,
    as you suggested.

    Thanks for the "prompt". :-)

    Bill in Co. wrote:
> [...]
    >>
    >> But you'll never really be sure unless you disassemble it
    >> and review what it actually does, line by line.
    >>
    >> I'm not one for loading my machines down
    >> with a multiplicity of freeware applications.
    >> I have NO guarantee that they won't overwrite
    >> a DLL with an older version, and the more
    >> 3rd-party apps you load up with,
    >> the closer you get to the certainty of DLL Hell.
    >>
    >> And there is usually no way back,
    >> because the unknown? DLL that was improperly replaced
    >> may have been an original OS file,
    >> or it may have been a valid updated version
    >> acquired during the installation of a previous freeware app.
    >> How does the average user tell, quickly and easily?
    >>
    >> Manual changes are not necessarily inferior,
    >> as long as you know what you are doing.
    >>
    >> Conversely, 3rd-part applications are not necessarily inferior,
    >> as long as you know what THEY are doing.

    An update. This was interesting. I found I was only able to remove half
    of those plugins w/o loading errors, so I went back to PDF Speedup, which,
    somehow, is able to manage Acrobat 6 properly with only two plugins. I
    think PDF Speedup disables the "update" plugin and its dependencies (at
    least that's my guess), and some others, but, whatever, it appears to be
    working!

    > An update. This was interesting. I found I was only able to remove
    half
    > of those plugins w/o loading errors,
    > so I went back to PDF Speedup, which,
    > somehow, is able to manage Acrobat 6 properly with only two plugins.
    > I think PDF Speedup disables the "update" plugin and its dependencies (at
    > least that's my guess), and some others, but, whatever, it appears to be
    > working!

    I have no problems, and I only have the 3 that I posted about.

    Sounds like your app makes changes OK,
    but doesn't reverse those changes properly.

    Did you reboot anywhere in the process at all?

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> An update. This was interesting. I found I was only able to remove
    half
    >> of those plugins w/o loading errors,
    >> so I went back to PDF Speedup, which,
    >> somehow, is able to manage Acrobat 6 properly with only two plugins.
    >> I think PDF Speedup disables the "update" plugin and its dependencies
    (at
    >> least that's my guess), and some others, but, whatever, it appears to be
    >> working!
    >
    > I have no problems, and I only have the 3 that I posted about.

    Well, before I did any of this I used the Update option of Acrobat (while on
    line) to see if there was anything I could still get for this somewhat dated
    version (6.00).

    > Sounds like your app makes changes OK,
    > but doesn't reverse those changes properly.

    Nope, cause I restored the previous registry, and also checked SFC, and kept
    track of the Program File Acrobat 6.0 subfolder changes. (But as I said, I
    *did* use the Update feature once before doing any of this).

    > Did you reboot anywhere in the process at all?

    ALWAYS! If anything, I am *overzealous* in that regard. It's nearly
    instinctive with me to reboot ANY time I make ANY changes, and usually on a
    one by one event basis.

    The only thing in plug-ins right now is EWH32.api and Search.api. Acrobat
    comes up a lot faster, I'll have to say. (All the other plug-ins were
    moved by the PDF Speed Up "program" to the Optional subfolder.

    (BTW, I also checked out some reviews of this small program, and they were
    all positive, which was encouraging to hear).

    > Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >> An update. This was interesting. I found I was only able to remove
    > half
    > >> of those plugins w/o loading errors,
    > >> so I went back to PDF Speedup, which,
    > >> somehow, is able to manage Acrobat 6 properly with only two plugins.
    > >> I think PDF Speedup disables the "update" plugin and its dependencies
    > (at
    > >> least that's my guess), and some others, but, whatever, it appears to
    be
    > >> working!
    > >
    > > I have no problems, and I only have the 3 that I posted about.
    >
    > Well, before I did any of this I used the Update option of Acrobat (while
    on
    > line) to see if there was anything I could still get for this somewhat
    dated
    > version (6.00).
    >
    > > Sounds like your app makes changes OK,
    > > but doesn't reverse those changes properly.
    >
    > Nope, cause I restored the previous registry, and also checked SFC, and
    kept
    > track of the Program File Acrobat 6.0 subfolder changes. (But as I said,
    > *did* use the Update feature once before doing any of this).
    >
    > > Did you reboot anywhere in the process at all?
    >
    > ALWAYS! If anything, I am *overzealous* in that regard. It's nearly
    > instinctive with me to reboot ANY time I make ANY changes, and usually on
    > one by one event basis.
    >
    > The only thing in plug-ins right now is EWH32.api and Search.api.
    Acrobat
    > comes up a lot faster, I'll have to say. (All the other plug-ins were
    > moved by the PDF Speed Up "program" to the Optional subfolder.
    >
    > (BTW, I also checked out some reviews of this small program, and they were
    > all positive, which was encouraging to hear).

    I'll spell it out as I see it, to see if I understand you correctly

    1 You booted up today, or yesterday or earlier, at which time
    you created the most recent Registry backup file RB???.CAB

    2 You ran your new app, which made Registry changes

    3 You ran Adobe Update, which updated Adobe Acrobat Reader,
    and made Registry changes

    4 You ran a Registry restore to this morning's version ?
    or to an earlier version ? either of which would lack
    the Registry changes made by the Acrobat Reader Update

    5 You now get Adobe Acrobat Reader execution errors

    Before you review and make any necessary corrections
    to the above analysis, I would copy the RBxxx.CAB files
    to a safe place, to be sure they are not overlayed.

    And I would refrain from any installs, or automatic updates,
    until you conduct your own mental walkthrough
    of what transpired, to establish if you need to go back
    to the Registry that you overwrote.

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have no problems, and I only have the 3 that I posted about.
    >>
    >> Well, before I did any of this I used the Update option of Acrobat (while
    on
    >> line) to see if there was anything I could still get for this somewhat
    dated
    >> version (6.00).
    >>
    >>> Sounds like your app makes changes OK,
    >>> but doesn't reverse those changes properly.
    >>
    >> Nope, cause I restored the previous registry, and also checked SFC, and
    kept
    >> track of the Program File Acrobat 6.0 subfolder changes. (But as I
    said, I
    >> *did* use the Update feature once before doing any of this).
    >>
    >>> Did you reboot anywhere in the process at all?
    >>
    >> ALWAYS! If anything, I am *overzealous* in that regard. It's nearly
    >> instinctive with me to reboot ANY time I make ANY changes, and usually on
    >> a one by one event basis.
    >>
    >> The only thing in plug-ins right now is EWH32.api and Search.api.
    >> Acrobat comes up a lot faster, I'll have to say. (All the other
    plug-ins were
    >> moved by the PDF Speed Up "program" to the Optional subfolder.
    >>
    >> (BTW, I also checked out some reviews of this small program, and they
    were
    >> all positive, which was encouraging to hear).
    >
    > I'll spell it out as I see it, to see if I understand you correctly
    >
    > 1 You booted up today, or yesterday or earlier, at which time
    > you created the most recent Registry backup file RB???.CAB
    >
    > 2 You ran your new app, which made Registry changes
    >
    > 3 You ran Adobe Update, which updated Adobe Acrobat Reader,
    > and made Registry changes
    >
    > 4 You ran a Registry restore to this morning's version ?
    > or to an earlier version ? either of which would lack
    > the Registry changes made by the Acrobat Reader Update
    >
    > 5 You now get Adobe Acrobat Reader execution errors

    NOT "execution errors", per se. I simply got plug-in loading errors (or
    rather, warnings), for the "missing" api plug-ins, unless I left about half
    of them or so in there, (because some were obviously being loaded, that
    depended on some others being available and loaded too).

    Also, the numbered sequence above is incorrect, as written above. I did
    the Adobe Update thing first before I ever installed that PDF Speedup
    program. And THEN I backed up the registry, and went to bed.

    Then, on the next day, I went ahead and installed PDF Speedup, tried it out,
    then later decided to use its restore button to revert back to the original
    setup, (which it did). And just to be sure, I then reinstalled the old
    registry just predating this.

    At this point I tried removing MOST of the plugins, but could only remove
    about half of them or so before i started encountering some of those missing
    plugin warnings.

    Finally, at that point, later in the afternoon, I just went ahead and
    reinstalled PDF Speedup. I say "reinstalled", because actually it doesn't
    even have an installer, per se. It's just a tiny registry modifying
    program, as far as I can tell. Very lightweight.

    > Before you review and make any necessary corrections
    > to the above analysis, I would copy the RBxxx.CAB files
    > to a safe place, to be sure they are not overlayed.
    >
    > And I would refrain from any installs, or automatic updates,
    > until you conduct your own mental walkthrough
    > of what transpired, to establish if you need to go back
    > to the Registry that you overwrote.

    I think I'm ok - as I said, no hard execution errors resulted, only those
    soft loading api errors (missing api plugin warnings). Of course NOW I
    don't have any of those warning errors (of missing some api plug ins)

    Anyway, that's a long winded explanation, which probably wasn't the
    clearest, but it's after midnite, and my writing style may be slippin!
    Hopefully it wasn't too confusing the way I explained it.

    How come I don't believe that?

    As to why Hugh can do with 3 and you need more is perhaps because you
    let Adobe act as a sever at least once on your machine? My Zone Alarm
    sounds off that Adobe wants to do things on the internet and I've never
    let it do that. Without ZA, I suspect Adobe would do what it wants to
    which is to be available for further updates to itself for just one
    thing it could out on the web unsupervised.

    Running one of these api could get dlls registered which then might
    force Windows to look for them when Adobe is loaded? PDF speedup
    probably knows these relationships and unregisters the appropriate dlls
    such that Acroread doesn't force a 'find' for them when loaded?

    You can count fairly high, then. Very good. OK, bye.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | rb999.cab
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > I know that. But which RB..cab did you restore?
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | >> I am fine, and I am on top of it. No problems over here!

    ....snip

    Hey PCR - do you know anything about the old Stilwell subway station at
    Coney Island, by chance?

    PCR wrote:
    > You can count fairly high, then. Very good. OK, bye.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> rb999.cab
    >>
    >> PCR wrote:
    >>> I know that. But which RB..cab did you restore?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks or Good Luck,
    >>> There may be humor in this post, and,
    >>> Naturally, you will not sue,
    >>> should things get worse after this,
    >>> PCR
    >>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > ...snip

    Probably it has even more "L"s than that in it's name, if it's anything
    like the street I know.

    --
    | Hey PCR - do you know anything about the old Stilwell subway station
    at
    | Coney Island, by chance?
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > You can count fairly high, then. Very good. OK, bye.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | >> rb999.cab

    | > ...snip

    Yeah, my mistake. Stillwell. Anyway I've just found out it's been
    totally revamped, so so much for the seedy historical part being visible
    anymore.

    PCR wrote:
    > Probably it has even more "L"s than that in it's name, if it's anything
    > like the street I know.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Hey PCR - do you know anything about the old Stilwell subway station at
    >> Coney Island, by chance?
    >>
    >> PCR wrote:
    >>> You can count fairly high, then. Very good. OK, bye.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks or Good Luck,
    >>> There may be humor in this post, and,
    >>> Naturally, you will not sue,
    >>> should things get worse after this,
    >>> PCR
    >>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    >>> ...snip
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I don't see any seedy historical part on the one I know, just a mental
    institution. You must be in a different Borough.

    --
    | Yeah, my mistake. Stillwell. Anyway I've just found out it's
    been
    | totally revamped, so so much for the seedy historical part being
    visible
    | anymore.
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > Probably it has even more "L"s than that in it's name, if it's
    anything
    | > like the street I know.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | >> Hey PCR - do you know anything about the old Stilwell subway
    station at
    | >> Coney Island, by chance?

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    At Coney Island.

    PCR wrote:
    > I don't see any seedy historical part on the one I know, just a mental
    > institution. You must be in a different Borough.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Yeah, my mistake. Stillwell. Anyway I've just found out it's been
    >> totally revamped, so so much for the seedy historical part being visible
    >> anymore.
    >>
    >> PCR wrote:
    >>> Probably it has even more "L"s than that in it's name, if it's anything
    >>> like the street I know.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks or Good Luck,
    >>> There may be humor in this post, and,
    >>> Naturally, you will not sue,
    >>> should things get worse after this,
    >>> PCR
    >>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >>> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Yep. That's where the seedy one would be.

    --
    | At Coney Island.
    |
    | PCR wrote:
    | > I don't see any seedy historical part on the one I know, just a
    mental
    | > institution. You must be in a different Borough.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | >> Yeah, my mistake. Stillwell. Anyway I've just found out it's
    been
    | >> totally revamped, so so much for the seedy historical part being
    visible
    | >> anymore.

    OK,
    | bye.