Can't restart in Safe Mode

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Twice in the last two days I've tried to restart my Windows 98 Dell
Dimension in Safe mode, by clicking restart, and then, when the Dell
"globe" appeared, steadily holding down the control key. In the past
this has always worked. But these last two times, Windows started up
normally instead of in Safe mode. Yesterday I held down the left Ctrl
key, today I tried the right Ctrl key.

Larry

Try repeatedly tapping the F8 key prior to the time when the Windows logo will
appear, instead of holding down the CTRL key.

Alternately, in Windows, click Start> Run, type msconfig and click OK.
Click the Advanced button.
Put a check in the box for "Enable Startup Menu", and click OK all the way out.
Restart, and you should come to the boot menu, where you can choose Safe Mode.

Be sure to uncheck it again when you don't need the menu any more.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm