Defrag extremely slow

This relates to my Windows 98 hard drive that I've asked about recently
and that I've ordered a replacement for as an insurance policy, though I
haven't been sure whether it's failing or not.

I started a Defrag, it went quickly to 82 percent complete, but then it
slowed to a crawl. When I looked at the details, I saw that it was
defragging just one little square at a time. At that rate it would take
hours to complete the defrag.

Does this extremely slow defrag indicate a failing HD? I have not yet
run a manufacturer's diagnostic, though I tried running a Powermax
diagnostic the other evening and ran into difficulties. I did run a
complete surface scan in DOS mode and there were no problems.

The initial issue was that last week when I turned on the computer, a
surface scan was automatically intiiated which found one bad cluster and
isolated it.

Larry
10 answers Last reply
More about defrag extremely slow

    Also, when I saw how slowly the defrag was going, I stopped it. I
    thought maybe it was putting the HD through so much work that it might
    speed a failure of the HD.

    "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > This relates to my Windows 98 hard drive that I've asked about
    recently
    > and that I've ordered a replacement for as an insurance policy, though
    > haven't been sure whether it's failing or not.
    >
    > I started a Defrag, it went quickly to 82 percent complete, but then
    it
    > slowed to a crawl. When I looked at the details, I saw that it was
    > defragging just one little square at a time. At that rate it would
    take
    > hours to complete the defrag.
    >
    > Does this extremely slow defrag indicate a failing HD? I have not yet
    > run a manufacturer's diagnostic, though I tried running a Powermax
    > diagnostic the other evening and ran into difficulties. I did run a
    > complete surface scan in DOS mode and there were no problems.
    >
    > The initial issue was that last week when I turned on the computer, a
    > surface scan was automatically intiiated which found one bad cluster
    and
    > isolated it.
    >
    > Larry

    It may just be that part of the drive needs to be defragged that way. It can take a
    looong time, especially if you have the Defrag settings to "Rearrange program files
    so my programs start faster." Try disabling that in Defrag> Settings button.

    I don't suggest defragging until you are sure the drive is OK. The surface scan
    results sound good....did it show any bad sectors on the drive map when done? Try
    to run the manufacturer's diags first.

    What was the problem with running Powermax?
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > This relates to my Windows 98 hard drive that I've asked about recently
    > and that I've ordered a replacement for as an insurance policy, though I
    > haven't been sure whether it's failing or not.
    >
    > I started a Defrag, it went quickly to 82 percent complete, but then it
    > slowed to a crawl. When I looked at the details, I saw that it was
    > defragging just one little square at a time. At that rate it would take
    > hours to complete the defrag.
    >
    > Does this extremely slow defrag indicate a failing HD? I have not yet
    > run a manufacturer's diagnostic, though I tried running a Powermax
    > diagnostic the other evening and ran into difficulties. I did run a
    > complete surface scan in DOS mode and there were no problems.
    >
    > The initial issue was that last week when I turned on the computer, a
    > surface scan was automatically intiiated which found one bad cluster and
    > isolated it.
    >
    > Larry

    Suspect Real-Mode Compatibility/NOIDE. I'd explain it all, but I'm
    *really* busy right now, <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > It may just be that part of the drive needs to be defragged that way.
    It can take a
    > looong time, especially if you have the Defrag settings to "Rearrange
    program files
    > so my programs start faster." Try disabling that in Defrag> Settings
    button.

    > I don't suggest defragging until you are sure the drive is OK. The
    surface scan
    > results sound good....did it show any bad sectors on the drive map
    when done? Try
    > to run the manufacturer's diags first.
    >
    > What was the problem with running Powermax?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > > This relates to my Windows 98 hard drive that I've asked about
    recently
    > > and that I've ordered a replacement for as an insurance policy,
    though I
    > > haven't been sure whether it's failing or not.
    > >
    > > I started a Defrag, it went quickly to 82 percent complete, but then
    it
    > > slowed to a crawl. When I looked at the details, I saw that it was
    > > defragging just one little square at a time. At that rate it would
    take
    > > hours to complete the defrag.
    > >
    > > Does this extremely slow defrag indicate a failing HD? I have not
    yet
    > > run a manufacturer's diagnostic, though I tried running a Powermax
    > > diagnostic the other evening and ran into difficulties. I did run a
    > > complete surface scan in DOS mode and there were no problems.
    > >
    > > The initial issue was that last week when I turned on the computer,
    > > surface scan was automatically intiiated which found one bad cluster
    and
    > > isolated it.
    > >
    > > Larry

    Thanks for the ideas. Your idea of not doing defrag while there are
    doubts about the hard drive backs up my own reaction.

    Re Powermax, I downloaded it and created a floppy, but then when I tried
    to use it I got an error message, I forget at the moment what it was.
    I'll try one of the other diagnostics.

    Larry

    > It may just be that part of the drive needs to be defragged that way.
    It can take a
    > looong time, especially if you have the Defrag settings to "Rearrange
    program files
    > so my programs start faster." Try disabling that in Defrag> Settings
    button.

    > I don't suggest defragging until you are sure the drive is OK. The
    surface scan
    > results sound good....did it show any bad sectors on the drive map
    when done? Try
    > to run the manufacturer's diags first.
    >
    > What was the problem with running Powermax?
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > > This relates to my Windows 98 hard drive that I've asked about
    recently
    > > and that I've ordered a replacement for as an insurance policy,
    though I
    > > haven't been sure whether it's failing or not.
    > >
    > > I started a Defrag, it went quickly to 82 percent complete, but then
    it
    > > slowed to a crawl. When I looked at the details, I saw that it was
    > > defragging just one little square at a time. At that rate it would
    take
    > > hours to complete the defrag.
    > >
    > > Does this extremely slow defrag indicate a failing HD? I have not
    yet
    > > run a manufacturer's diagnostic, though I tried running a Powermax
    > > diagnostic the other evening and ran into difficulties. I did run a
    > > complete surface scan in DOS mode and there were no problems.
    > >
    > > The initial issue was that last week when I turned on the computer,
    > > surface scan was automatically intiiated which found one bad cluster
    and
    > > isolated it.
    > >
    > > Larry

    As Gary inferred in his quick response here, you need to determine if you have
    drives in "MS-DOS Compatibility Mode". To do so, right-click My Computer and click
    Properties from the menu that appears, to get to the System control panel. Click
    the Performance tab. Does it say "Your system is configured for optimal
    performance", or does it say some drives are in Compatibility Mode?

    Also, switch to the Device Manager tab, and see if any of the categories are
    expanded, with a 'splat' on any devices.....particularly if the Hard Disk
    Controllers category shows any items with a problem.

    Post back with what you find.
    --

    > Thanks for the ideas. Your idea of not doing defrag while there are
    > doubts about the hard drive backs up my own reaction.
    >
    > Re Powermax, I downloaded it and created a floppy, but then when I tried
    > to use it I got an error message, I forget at the moment what it was.
    > I'll try one of the other diagnostics.
    >
    > Larry

    > > It may just be that part of the drive needs to be defragged that way.
    > It can take a
    > > looong time, especially if you have the Defrag settings to "Rearrange
    > program files
    > > so my programs start faster." Try disabling that in Defrag> Settings
    > button.
    > >
    > > I don't suggest defragging until you are sure the drive is OK. The
    > surface scan
    > > results sound good....did it show any bad sectors on the drive map
    > when done? Try
    > > to run the manufacturer's diags first.
    > >
    > > What was the problem with running Powermax?
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > > > This relates to my Windows 98 hard drive that I've asked about
    > recently
    > > > and that I've ordered a replacement for as an insurance policy,
    > though I
    > > > haven't been sure whether it's failing or not.
    > > >
    > > > I started a Defrag, it went quickly to 82 percent complete, but then
    > it
    > > > slowed to a crawl. When I looked at the details, I saw that it was
    > > > defragging just one little square at a time. At that rate it would
    > take
    > > > hours to complete the defrag.
    > > >
    > > > Does this extremely slow defrag indicate a failing HD? I have not
    > yet
    > > > run a manufacturer's diagnostic, though I tried running a Powermax
    > > > diagnostic the other evening and ran into difficulties. I did run a
    > > > complete surface scan in DOS mode and there were no problems.
    > > >
    > > > The initial issue was that last week when I turned on the computer,
    > > > surface scan was automatically intiiated which found one bad cluster
    > and
    > > > isolated it.
    > > >
    > > > Larry

    On the Performance Tab, it says, "configured for optimal performance."

    In the Device Manager, System Devices was opened, and all the items
    under that category have a computer monitor as an icon. The icon that
    says Advanced Power Management support has a red X through it. I don't
    remember if all those icons were like computer monitors before.
    Yesterday, I deleted some items in Device Manager, as Gary had
    suggested, and restarted the computer (in an unsuccessful effort to fix
    my CD drive).

    Other than that, everything looks normal.

    > As Gary inferred in his quick response here, you need to determine if
    you have
    > drives in "MS-DOS Compatibility Mode". To do so, right-click My
    Computer and click
    > Properties from the menu that appears, to get to the System control
    panel. Click
    > the Performance tab. Does it say "Your system is configured for
    optimal
    > performance", or does it say some drives are in Compatibility Mode?
    >
    > Also, switch to the Device Manager tab, and see if any of the
    categories are
    > expanded, with a 'splat' on any devices.....particularly if the Hard
    Disk
    > Controllers category shows any items with a problem.
    >
    > Post back with what you find.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the ideas. Your idea of not doing defrag while there are
    > > doubts about the hard drive backs up my own reaction.
    > >
    > > Re Powermax, I downloaded it and created a floppy, but then when I
    tried
    > > to use it I got an error message, I forget at the moment what it
    was.
    > > I'll try one of the other diagnostics.
    > >
    > > Larry
    > >

    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > It may just be that part of the drive needs to be defragged that
    way.
    > > It can take a
    > > > looong time, especially if you have the Defrag settings to
    "Rearrange
    > > program files
    > > > so my programs start faster." Try disabling that in Defrag>
    Settings
    > > button.
    > > >
    > > > I don't suggest defragging until you are sure the drive is OK.
    The
    > > surface scan
    > > > results sound good....did it show any bad sectors on the drive map
    > > when done? Try
    > > > to run the manufacturer's diags first.
    > > >
    > > > What was the problem with running Powermax?
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > > recently
    > > though I

    > > it
    > > take

    > > yet
    Powermax

    > > and

    Yes, all the icons under System Devices are computer monitor-type icons.

    The Advanced Power Management Support problem should not be causing the defrag
    slowness you are seeing. If you would like to try to fix that error though, follow
    the procedures here:
    in the sections headed: 'Power Management Enabled/Disabled in CMOS', and 'Corrupt
    APM Drivers'.
    I have also had occasional luck fixing that by double-clicking the APM Support item,
    and clicking to Update Driver.

    What became of your CD drive problem?
    --

    > On the Performance Tab, it says, "configured for optimal performance."
    >
    > In the Device Manager, System Devices was opened, and all the items
    > under that category have a computer monitor as an icon. The icon that
    > says Advanced Power Management support has a red X through it. I don't
    > remember if all those icons were like computer monitors before.
    > Yesterday, I deleted some items in Device Manager, as Gary had
    > suggested, and restarted the computer (in an unsuccessful effort to fix
    > my CD drive).
    >
    > Other than that, everything looks normal.

    > > As Gary inferred in his quick response here, you need to determine if
    > you have
    > > drives in "MS-DOS Compatibility Mode". To do so, right-click My
    > Computer and click
    > > Properties from the menu that appears, to get to the System control
    > panel. Click
    > > the Performance tab. Does it say "Your system is configured for
    > optimal
    > > performance", or does it say some drives are in Compatibility Mode?
    > >
    > > Also, switch to the Device Manager tab, and see if any of the
    > categories are
    > > expanded, with a 'splat' on any devices.....particularly if the Hard
    > Disk
    > > Controllers category shows any items with a problem.
    > >
    > > Post back with what you find.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the ideas. Your idea of not doing defrag while there are
    > > > doubts about the hard drive backs up my own reaction.
    > > >
    > > > Re Powermax, I downloaded it and created a floppy, but then when I
    > tried
    > > > to use it I got an error message, I forget at the moment what it
    > was.
    > > > I'll try one of the other diagnostics.
    > > >
    > > > Larry
    > > >

    > > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > way.
    > > > It can take a
    > "Rearrange
    > > > program files
    > Settings
    > > > button.

    > The
    > > > surface scan
    > > > when done? Try

    > > > recently
    > > > though I

    > then
    > > > it
    > was
    > would
    > > > take

    > not
    > > > yet
    > Powermax
    > run a

    > computer,
    > cluster
    > > > and

    Deleting certain items in Device manager and restarting the computer
    didn't help, so I'm buying a new CD drive.

    glee wrote:
    > Yes, all the icons under System Devices are computer monitor-type
    > icons.
    >
    > The Advanced Power Management Support problem should not be causing
    > the defrag slowness you are seeing. If you would like to try to fix
    > that error though, follow the procedures here:
    > http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000153.htm
    > in the sections headed: 'Power Management Enabled/Disabled in CMOS',
    > and 'Corrupt APM Drivers'.
    > I have also had occasional luck fixing that by double-clicking the
    > APM Support item, and clicking to Update Driver.
    >
    > What became of your CD drive problem?
    >
    > "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > On the Performance Tab, it says, "configured for optimal
    > > performance."
    > >
    > > In the Device Manager, System Devices was opened, and all the items
    > > under that category have a computer monitor as an icon. The icon
    > > that says Advanced Power Management support has a red X through it.
    > > I don't remember if all those icons were like computer monitors
    > > before. Yesterday, I deleted some items in Device Manager, as Gary
    > > had suggested, and restarted the computer (in an unsuccessful
    > > effort to fix my CD drive).
    > >
    > > Other than that, everything looks normal.
    > >

    > > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > > As Gary inferred in his quick response here, you need to
    > > > determine if
    > > you have
    > > > drives in "MS-DOS Compatibility Mode". To do so, right-click My
    > > Computer and click
    > > > Properties from the menu that appears, to get to the System
    > > > control
    > > panel. Click
    > > > the Performance tab. Does it say "Your system is configured for
    > > optimal
    > > > performance", or does it say some drives are in Compatibility
    > > > Mode?
    > > >
    > > > Also, switch to the Device Manager tab, and see if any of the
    > > categories are
    > > > expanded, with a 'splat' on any devices.....particularly if the
    > > > Hard
    > > Disk
    > > > Controllers category shows any items with a problem.
    > > >
    > > > Post back with what you find.
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message

    > > tried
    > > was.

    > > way.
    > > "Rearrange
    > > Settings

    > > The

    > > then
    > > was
    > > would

    > > not
    > > Powermax
    > > run a

    > > computer,
    > > cluster

    Google for, and install defrag for windows ME, it runs under Win 98 and is
    way faster

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    _

    "Larry" <larry328@att.net> wrote in message
    > This relates to my Windows 98 hard drive that I've asked about recently
    > and that I've ordered a replacement for as an insurance policy, though I
    > haven't been sure whether it's failing or not.
    >
    > I started a Defrag, it went quickly to 82 percent complete, but then it
    > slowed to a crawl. When I looked at the details, I saw that it was
    > defragging just one little square at a time. At that rate it would take
    > hours to complete the defrag.
    >
    > Does this extremely slow defrag indicate a failing HD? I have not yet
    > run a manufacturer's diagnostic, though I tried running a Powermax
    > diagnostic the other evening and ran into difficulties. I did run a
    > complete surface scan in DOS mode and there were no problems.
    >
    > The initial issue was that last week when I turned on the computer, a
    > surface scan was automatically intiiated which found one bad cluster and
    > isolated it.
    >
    > Larry

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:02:25 +0000, PSYCHOPIXIE

    >Someone told me that defragging can take up to 8 hours!!!

    Well, as Devo says; it's "duty now, for the future". To some extent,
    the more it does to speed up future accesses, the longer it takes; an
    an information therory level, this seems intuitively inevitable.

    OTOH, if your HD is sick, then it can indeed take a very long time
    (while data is corrupted when those retry loops fail to preserve it).

    The best way to speed both Autochk/Chkdsk and defrag, is to keep C:
    small and uncluttered (e.g. avoiding 6G System Restore, or 1G IE web
    cache repeated across 10 use accounts, is a good start).

    Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
    ideal for experimentation!

Defragment Windows