Officejet 7310 - network install problem

I have just bought an HP Officejet 7310, it's for use with a small
SoHo network of three Win2k machines and a Linux machine.

I have successfully installed the software on one of the Win2k
machines (it wasn't so difficult and long as some reviews had led me
to believe) but fails to install on my Win2k machine.

The installation starts up OK but only gets to the "Connection Type"
window, I click Network Connection and then the Next button but all
that happens is that it thinks for a few seconds and then redisplays
the "Connection Type" window. It doesn't even get to the "Searching
network for a ... printer" window.

I can ping the printer from the machine so it is connected (and
anyway installs OK on another machine one the same network). While
the two Win2k machines are far from identical I can't see anything
really significantly different.

Can anyone offer any useful ideas?

(HP support have so far been worse than useless, firstly I don't think
they've taken on board that it's a network install rather than a USB
one. Then they can't read my replies to them because I've actually
interleaved my reply with their comments/questions! They claimed my
reply was 'blank'.)

--
Chris Green
2 answers Last reply

    usenet@isbd.co.uk wrote:
    > I have just bought an HP Officejet 7310, it's for use with a small
    > SoHo network of three Win2k machines and a Linux machine.
    > Can anyone offer any useful ideas?
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > (HP support have so far been worse than useless, firstly I don't
    think
    > they've taken on board that it's a network install rather than a USB
    > one. Then they can't read my replies to them because I've actually
    > interleaved my reply with their comments/questions! They claimed my
    > reply was 'blank'.)
    >
    > --
    > Chris Green

    HP support has gotten more and more useless to me -- I had all sorts of
    issues with the 7310 which their support people have hardly any
    knowledge of.

    Go to the HP driver/download pages. I think there are critical
    downloads to help resolve some of the installation issues you are
    experiencing. There are some other newsgroup threads about
    installation issues.

    I myself had none. But I am having my own nightmares with HP's less
    than perfect software package that came with the printer/scanner.
    Let's just say that the software, in my mind, is betaware, not ready
    for real production-- I am highly disappointed with it.

    Sunil

    savkar@inthespace.com wrote:
    > usenet@isbd.co.uk wrote:
    > > I have just bought an HP Officejet 7310, it's for use with a small
    > > SoHo network of three Win2k machines and a Linux machine.
    > > Can anyone offer any useful ideas?
    > >
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > (HP support have so far been worse than useless, firstly I don't
    > think
    > > they've taken on board that it's a network install rather than a USB
    > > one. Then they can't read my replies to them because I've actually
    > > interleaved my reply with their comments/questions! They claimed my
    > > reply was 'blank'.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Chris Green
    >
    > HP support has gotten more and more useless to me -- I had all sorts of
    > issues with the 7310 which their support people have hardly any
    > knowledge of.
    >
    > Go to the HP driver/download pages. I think there are critical
    > downloads to help resolve some of the installation issues you are
    > experiencing. There are some other newsgroup threads about
    > installation issues.

    I looked through them but none actually had any relevance to my
    problems.

    > I myself had none. But I am having my own nightmares with HP's less
    > than perfect software package that came with the printer/scanner.
    > Let's just say that the software, in my mind, is betaware, not ready
    > for real production-- I am highly disappointed with it.

    I got my 7310 installed eventually, after:-

    Removing all USB devices and drivers (only a scanner and a camera)

    Disconnecting all network drives

    Running a registry cleanup (though I do this fairly regularly
    anyway)

    The 7310 software then installed OK and is now working very well, I
    like the printer.

    --
    Chris Green

Printers Officejet Hewlett Packard Peripherals