Service packs (1, 1a & 2)

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Sorry if this is the wrong group.
I have an early release of XP. If I do a clean install I
have to update on line to service pack 1. I have just
recivced by post a CD with service pack 2.

My question is if I ever have to do a clean install again
does the service pack 2 contain all the updates in
service pack 1 or will I still have to download pack 1
first and if this is the case I you get pack 1 on CD as
well.

Sorry if this seems a silly question.

Thanks in advance.

map

"Phil" wrote:

> Sorry if this is the wrong group.
> I have an early release of XP. If I do a clean install I
> have to update on line to service pack 1. I have just
> recivced by post a CD with service pack 2.
>
> My question is if I ever have to do a clean install again
> does the service pack 2 contain all the updates in
> service pack 1 or will I still have to download pack 1
> first and if this is the case I you get pack 1 on CD as
> well.
>
> Sorry if this seems a silly question.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Service pack2 is all you will need.It contains everything in service pack1
or 1a depening on what you had and a little more.
Installing SP2 right after a clean install is the best way to do it.You will
need to update some of your drivers after,Video card, sound card, printers
and the like.
If for some reason you do not like SP2 then SP1a can be installed here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to advise
me.

Just install from the CD, you will be up todate (as of the release date of the CD).

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:048101c497df$294d9cf0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| Sorry if this is the wrong group.
| I have an early release of XP. If I do a clean install I
| have to update on line to service pack 1. I have just
| recivced by post a CD with service pack 2.
|
| My question is if I ever have to do a clean install again
| does the service pack 2 contain all the updates in
| service pack 1 or will I still have to download pack 1
| first and if this is the case I you get pack 1 on CD as
| well.
|
| Sorry if this seems a silly question.
|
| Thanks in advance.

Hi

After a 'Clean' install of XP, all that is needed is the SP2 update. It is
cumulative, so includes all the previous Hotfixes.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

Phil wrote:
> Sorry if this is the wrong group.
> I have an early release of XP. If I do a clean install I
> have to update on line to service pack 1. I have just
> recivced by post a CD with service pack 2.
>
> My question is if I ever have to do a clean install again
> does the service pack 2 contain all the updates in
> service pack 1 or will I still have to download pack 1
> first and if this is the case I you get pack 1 on CD as
> well.
>
> Sorry if this seems a silly question.
>
> Thanks in advance.
SP2 has all the changes including SP1. That is all you need to be current
with changes thru SP2's release date.

--
Gene K

johnf

If you clean-install XP, you only need SP2, it contains all previous updates
& fixes.
Forget about SP1.

--

johnf