Partioning the Hard Drive

Hello! First, let me say, I know just enough to be dangerous! I have a
friend with an older computer running Windows 98. It was given to him by a
friend. It was loaded with Win 98 and other applications. The hard drive
was partitioned MANY times for some reason. My friend does not have any of
the application disks or the Win 98 disk.

How can I backup everything on the c:\ drive (where all of his apps and
windows is loaded), repartion the hard drive to one drive, and then restore
the backup so that he has win 98, all of his applications, and his data. I
will not be able to reload anything from disk. Is this even possible?

Thank you,
John

There is no need to backup if it's not practical, although you are running a
risk of losing files if there's a problem such as a power failure or a
hardware error. Third-party products such as Partition Magic or BootitNG
allow you to change the existing partitioning of the disk, so you could
create a single partition. Note that this may require several stages, as
the data has to be moved around the disk to allow for the partition changes,
so it is advisable to get rid of as many files as possible before starting.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)