fan setup for good airflow suggestions

doxology83

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
hi, i built a computer a while back and one thing with computers that i haven't really missed with is optomizing airflow. i am changing out all my stock fans from my case because my pc is in my room and is lit up like a Christmas tree at night and has been keeping me from sleeping very well.

here is a link to my case my case

the only thing different from that is a have a Vantec Ion2 460W power supply. the case has one 80mm fan in the back and 2 80mm fans in the front. it also has a cup on the side panel that is suppose to be for the cpu that i want to take off and put a fan on as well if you think it would be effective. i am think about getting these fans coolermaster fans

i haven't decided if i need a 92mm fan for the back. i heard there is a 92mm silverstone that has 110mm blades on it. anyways fan suggestions are appreciated as well. what would be the best way to install the fans, which ones should pull air in and which ones should blow it out? thanks for your help.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Here's how I've done my fan setup. Three case fans, 2 120mm fans and one 92mm fan. One 120mm at the front as intake, the other 120mm at the back as exhaust. If you have an HDD cage restricting the airflow from the intake a bit, then here's where the 92mm fan comes in handy. By blu-tacking it (I'm such a cheap bastard :lol: ) or taping the fan on the opposite side of the HDD cage to the intake fan, the 92mm (or another 120mm if you can fit it) will boost the airflow, blowing the cool air straight to the graphics card and mobo chipset, whilst maintaining the airflow over the HDD's, keeping them cool as well. This way, I have avoided having to mod the perspex window in order to place a side fan, since the cooling setup I have is already sufficient to cool my rig (specs in the sig).

doxology83

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
well my window already has a place for a fan. my case does have a hard drive cage at the bottom in the front but my case has two 80mm fans as intakes on the front. it only has one outtake in the back, currently a 80mm but can fit a 92mm. i don't want to really mod my case just replace the cheap annoyingly bright, loud foxconn fans that came with my case. i read somewhere one of the best cooling solutions was having a fan on the side of the case, but i don't remember were i read it or how it worked, i just remember them saying it worked awesome even though they thought it wouldn't origonally be a good solution.

tchiwam

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
AMD fans on the front of the computer and Intel fans behind, you can try Amiga fans over the CPU they blow a lot of air if you can find them now a day. I strongly advice agains any Apple fans near any PC. Do not mix NVIDIA and ATI fans if the other products are present in the same PC.