Sign in with
Your question

Performance of Raid 0 with 2 or 4 hdds

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2006 9:05:45 PM

i have been testing speeds of raid 0 in 2 and 4 disks and i founf there seems to be an limit on board raid, seems to be 120MB max data rate {sounds like UDMA 133 limit cheap Sata to Udma converter in the chip set} but thats not per cable its total limit (useing Nvidia raid or slicon image raid)

i am thinking of getting an PCI-E raid card as it runs at 4x speed (PCI-e 4x {1GB each way}) i am asuming that it would remove that limit

as i have been seeing tomshardware and others only useing on board raid in tests speeds do not compare to each other like when going from 2 to 4 disks each disks is only running at 50% speeds when thay should be doing more like 200MB/s min flat out

as it seems better to just simply use 4 hdds 80gb ones insted of getting 2 WD raptors as for the price of the 80GB drives seem to get to the same speeds

More about : performance raid hdds

April 17, 2006 9:59:32 PM

Quote:
i have been testing speeds of raid 0 in 2 and 4 disks and i founf there seems to be an limit on board raid, seems to be 120MB max data rate {sounds like UDMA 133 limit cheap Sata to Udma converter in the chip set} but thats not per cable its total limit (useing Nvidia raid or slicon image raid)

That's because the IDE/SATA/RAID controller is on the PCI bus. PCI is limited to 133MB/s (120 after allowing for overhead). Getting a PCI-E card should take care of that for you.

Mike.
!