Computer for MS Flight Sim

I haven't been "into" MS Flight Sim since the DOS versions. I would like
to get back into it and would like to buy a new computer that would
allow the latest version of MS FS to run at its full potential. What
specks should should I look for in a new computer? I would like to keep
the cost at not much more than $1000 if possible. Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about computer flight

    richard48@webtv.net wrote:
    > I haven't been "into" MS Flight Sim since the DOS versions. I would
    > like to get back into it and would like to buy a new computer that
    > would allow the latest version of MS FS to run at its full potential.
    > What specks should should I look for in a new computer? I would like
    > to keep the cost at not much more than $1000 if possible. Thanks

    Well you will have to get ready for the next upgrade of FS, FS10 probably
    next year, so I wd say a minimum of 3Ghz chip with motherboard. 1Gb of RAM
    and a Video card not less than 256 Mb. Others may supply more detailed
    specs.

    --
    Cheers
    Quilljar

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    cpu - athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 Venice core runs at 2.0GHz easily
    overclockable to 2.8 GHz
    cooler - thermalright xp-90 and get a 92 mm fan to put on it.
    motherboard - nForce 4 ultra chipset - brands - DFI, ASUS, ABIT, MSI,
    Gigabyte (in that order)
    ram - 1GB (2x512MB) pc4400 DDR550 275Mhz - make sure they use Samsung TCCD
    chips
    optical - $40 8x Dual layer burner
    hard disk - 7200rpm at least 8MB cache, SATA or SATA II as big as you can
    afford
    case - up to you
    power supply - get one with 30 - 34 amps on the 12v rail
    graphics card - ati radeon x800 xl or nVidia geForce 6800 GT
    total cost from new egg - around $1000

    <richard48@webtv.net> wrote in message
    >I haven't been "into" MS Flight Sim since the DOS versions. I would like
    > to get back into it and would like to buy a new computer that would
    > allow the latest version of MS FS to run at its full potential. What
    > specks should should I look for in a new computer? I would like to keep
    > the cost at not much more than $1000 if possible. Thanks

    I thought I might expand on my suggestions if you don't mind.
    Here is a sample best bang for the buck flight simming system for
    around $1000 (or about $1250 including the yoke and rudder pedals.)
    Buy it, Build it, Fly it.
    I am currently using some of these components or very similar
    components so I can verify that they are pretty darn good. The price on the
    x800 xl is higher than it was when I bought one (mine was a Rosewill brand).
    You could skimp on the video card if you wanted. An ATI x700 would do fine
    and so would a nVidia 6600 GT. But the PCI-E x800 xl offers 16 pipes and
    256MB of GDDR3 for less than comparable cards. Don't skimp on the power
    supply. The one here has 34amps on the 12v rail. I have one. It is rock
    solid. The dvd burner burns dual layer +r disks at 8x. I got one and for
    $46 it can't be beat. The SATA II hard drive is hard to beat at 160GB for
    $86. The DFI board is the foundation of this system and it is one of the
    best boards out there. I've got one and I love it. This nForce 4 Ultra
    board has two PCI-E slots but it is not a SLI enabled board. But this is
    good news if you'd rather buy two cards and have them running two or three
    or four monitors (hey this is a flight sim pc we are talking about here! we
    all know how nice it would be to have three monitors displaying a wrap
    around outside view (ala surround gaming) and another monitor displaying
    your panel.) Plenty of usb ports, firewire, integrated gigabit lan, support
    for SATA II, room for 4GB of ram (if you ever needed it) and integrated 7
    channel sound plus backup bios and diagnostic led's and onboard power and
    reset switches. This is an overclockers dream board. The Venice core can
    be overclocked to around 2.8GHz if you are lucky. If you are unlucky it
    will "Only" overclock to around 2.5GHz. Yeah if that's the worst you could
    do then you are doing pretty dang good. The Corsair ram is fast and
    reliable and uses Samsung TCCD memory chips. (I bought G.Skill memory that
    uses Samsing TCCD chips - slightly more expensive but it is a little faster
    and has better timings - I love it) It runs at 275MHz or DDR 550 also known
    as PC4400. Since the venice core's max multiplier is 9 that means you can
    overclock it right off the bat to 2.475Ghz without lowering ram timings or
    using a 2T command rate or raising the voltage to your ram or running the
    ram faster than stock. You may have to raise your cpu voltage from 1.38 to
    1.425 but this increase is negligible and ,with the cooler and fan I suggest
    and arctic silver 5, will not raise temperatures at all. Expect idle temps
    around 30c and load temps around 40c. (you could raise the voltage another
    ..1v very comfortably if you wanted to overclock higher (around 2.6 to 2.8).
    Which means you end up running your chip at speeds that would have cost an
    additional 2 or 3 hundred dollars, money that you saved and put towards a
    yoke and rudder pedals and maybe another graphics card and another monitor
    or two.
    Hope this helps,
    Roy

    CD/DVD Burners (RW Drives)
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM
    Model #: ND-3540A Black
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $9.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $14.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $45.99 $45.99

    ATX Computer Cases
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update RAIDMAX ATX-208 Beige Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer
    Case - Retail
    Model #: ATX-208
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $20.75 $20.75

    Internal Hard Drives
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 HDT722516DLA380 (0A31637) 160GB
    7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM
    Model #: 0A31637
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $14.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $19.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $86.00 $86.00

    AMD-compatible Motherboards
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
    Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    Model #: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultr
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $29.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $129.00 $129.00

    Video Cards & Related Devices
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update connect3D 3028 Radeon X800XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
    Video Card - Retail
    Model #: 3028
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $39.99 1 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Onsite Plan --
    $39.99 2 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Onsite Plan -- $49.99 2 Year Service
    Net Replacement Plan -- $59.99 3 Year Service Net 1 Peripheral Onsite
    Plan -- $59.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $285.00 $285.00

    Power Supplies
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update ASPIRE ATX-AS520W SILVER ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail
    Model #: ATX-AS520W SILVER
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $14.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $19.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $55.00 $55.00

    Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset)
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update THERMALTAKE SilentCat 9cm 90mm 1 Ball 1 Sleeve Cooling
    Fan - Retail
    Model #: SilentCat 9cm
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $7.49 $7.49

    Update THERMALRIGHT XP-90 Heatsink - Retail
    Model #: XP-90
    **This item may only be returned for a replacement of the same
    make/model.
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $36.99 $36.99

    CPU Thermal Paste / Grease
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
    Model #: ARCTIC SILVER 5
    **This item may only be returned for a replacement of the same
    make/model.
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $7.99 $7.99

    PC Gaming Controllers
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update CH Products 300-111 Pro Pedals - Retail
    Model #: 300-111
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $29.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $103.00 $103.00

    Update CH Products 200-615IL2 Flight Sim Yoke - Retail
    Model #: 200-615IL2
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $29.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $112.00 $112.00

    Memory - System
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 550
    (PC 4400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model
    TWINX1024-4400C25PT - Retail
    Model #: TWINX1024-4400C25PT
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $59.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $216.00 $216.00

    Processors
    Qty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

    Update AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor
    Model ADA3000BPBOX - Retail
    Model #: ADA3000BPBOX
    **This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net
    Replacement Plan -- $29.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $146.00 $146.00

    Subtotal: $1,251.21

    Important Ordering Information
    a.. FedEx Express Saver (our standard shipping method) - 3 to 4
    business days + 24-48 hours to process the order.

    begin 666 clearCart.gif
    M1TE&.#EA% `4`+,/`'9V=IZ>GNDX..'AX=34U-6^9K6UM=(``+4#`^]G9\_/
    MSVD+$C@X./___P```/___R'Y! $```\`+ `````4`!0```2F\,E)';UXNN)L
    M_LS&>9_$,(#1%5QY`@0<$"LYG0ILI(2A!!O2*; SS& `Q2ETRQ53BT7@1)@J
    M%*97<9%(+ P#0_1Z930(I]T"X05$NPLRPT 8#-)K;Q>!B)>O,PT-8@@'"0<'
    M?618. $*@VZ%B0L,BS<,`0T,"P*(7G=D-X(GG(B=7I57EV8-I5$"; L%6#<%
    8#R>ME ]KAG$N#!1K?26WML$+Q,D3$0`[
    `
    end

    begin 666 save.gif
    M1TE&.#EA% `4`+,.`+Z^OI>7EYZ]\-G9V2M6FR-3HD9[T@$XD6R:Y3YMN<_/
    MSP`C70```/_______P```"'Y! $```X`+ `````4`!0```1ZT,E)J[W8KI7Q
    M$@(C=M1W-*C(D.8P!&@C<E?[!@'0' )=+8B#*_ "'! $7PF1$ X`T$,B64,8
    MFH=#=*J<``W7!%:<5"A^5H0U?"V;SQ)@HE!0K[GOMT->:-#K;0MY<'PQ@'AZ
    97@M]C%:(<#\;`(=N+!N!D"1[&YJ=$A$`.P``
    `
    end

    begin 666 moveToWishlist.gif
    M1TE&.#EA% `4`+,-`*"@H'AX>,]Z).60/,+"PMC8V.:R*-G9V?C7`,_/SW _
    M#EY>7O_______P```````"'Y! $```T`+ `````4`!0```1YL,E)JY4KWXT9
    MRPM7+5ZIB0U9FB@)K%[(J<#K!85,*4JZUHP`03=1(!0DWDJ8JR@,1X9180M8
    M%XE$$7I\'H&,`S:K50RX" -441*3LPV>0#TX1\-C<E$AJ O8'FYZ% M\?RN"
    86A9\2 >.>' 7/!@9CE@H(R>8FYP4$0`[
    `
    end

    begin 666 policyQuote.gif
    M1TE&.#EA# `,`-4K`.;FYMW=W<O+R\[.SK^_O^+BXL_/SZZNKKJZNJ^OK["P
    ML+BXN-75U>GIZ9:6EN_O[\G)R;*RLO7U]<S,S+2TM*.CHYZ>GN[N[L;&QM_?
    MW[N[N]?7U^SL[+FYN9V=G;V]O>/CX\'!P=+2TL7%Q<# P+:VMNWM[?+R\O3T
    M]//S\P```/___P``````````````````````````````````````````````
    M`````````````````````````````````"'Y! $``"L`+ `````,``P```90
    MP)5P2"P:C07$Q"3H/(@%@@2%2J4^J2&"JE*E3B;24$"UJAJ9Q)!C/:E FT%I
    E" $#`B(,P3(LW1DJ(0L4!D,7!P8C&A$*!T4G)1X5#@-'ED$`.P``
    `
    end

    Well Richard my boy ... You DID ask!

    Cheers
    Quilljar

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    I am overwhelmed ! Thanks

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:10:01 -0400, richard48@webtv.net brought the
    following to our attention:

    >I haven't been "into" MS Flight Sim since the DOS versions. I would like
    >to get back into it and would like to buy a new computer that would
    >allow the latest version of MS FS to run at its full potential. What
    >specks should should I look for in a new computer? I would like to keep
    >the cost at not much more than $1000 if possible. Thanks

    Have a look at this `Sim Specs' table.. extended out to 8x
    the MS minimum specs printed on box.

    http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/sim_specs.gif

    and it would be easy to imagine a NEW column for FS10...
    assume 800MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, and 4GB HS space

    -Gregory

Computers Games Microsoft Video Games