RED HAT LINUX vs LINUX SUSE

I HAVE SOME SOURCE CODE WRITTEN IN C for SIP(GNU osip code), WHICH
HAVE EXTENSIONS LIKE i386, rpm, etc..
so willl thise files will run only on RED HAT LINUX OR WILL THEY WORK
ON LINUX SUSE ALSO.
AMIT

SIP3261 wrote:
> I HAVE SOME SOURCE CODE WRITTEN IN C for SIP(GNU osip code), WHICH
> HAVE EXTENSIONS LIKE i386, rpm, etc..
> so willl thise files will run only on RED HAT LINUX OR WILL THEY WORK
> ON LINUX SUSE ALSO.
> AMIT

This is off topic here. shold have been asked on a linux NG. However, I
can tell you files with rpm extensions are redhat pakages files.
Specific to redhat. You can't use these on SUSE.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:07:56 -0400, T. Sean Weintz wrote:

> SIP3261 wrote:
>> I HAVE SOME SOURCE CODE WRITTEN IN C for SIP(GNU osip code), WHICH
>> HAVE EXTENSIONS LIKE i386, rpm, etc..
>> so willl thise files will run only on RED HAT LINUX OR WILL THEY WORK
>> ON LINUX SUSE ALSO.
>> AMIT
>

> This is off topic here. shold have been asked on a linux NG. However, I
> can tell you files with rpm extensions are redhat pakages files.
> Specific to redhat. You can't use these on SUSE.

If you feel like answering, at least check your facts:

- RPM extensions are just extensions of a specific methodology of
PACKAGING programs. Though most of the time the specific files packaged
inside may be very platform specific, there are instances when an RPM
package could be installed in RedHat, or Fedora, or SUSE, or Mandrake.

- SUSE has been integrating the RPM for a long time now - so the "RPM"s
made for SUSE will run on SUSE, of course, regardless of your opinion
about extension vs. platform functionality.