BIOS upgrade?

rI am installing an 80 GB hard drive. I get into the bios and it shows 80 GB.
I boot the machine up to the Win 98 startup disk, fun fdisk and partition. It
will only partition to 10 GB. How do I get the whole 80 partitioned? Is this
a bios limitation? It shows 80 GB in the bios. This machine came with a 20 GB
HD.
3 answers Last reply
More about bios upgrade

    Is this disk to be used for the Windows system, or is it entirely for
    storage?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    In news:37A35339-2B4C-4AFC-ABB1-1DAA9F9C687E@microsoft.com,
    Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > rI am installing an 80 GB hard drive. I get into the bios and it
    > shows 80 GB. I boot the machine up to the Win 98 startup disk, fun
    > fdisk and partition. It will only partition to 10 GB. How do I get
    > the whole 80 partitioned? Is this a bios limitation? It shows 80 GB
    > in the bios. This machine came with a 20 GB HD.

    Take a look at this site:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=255867&product=w98

    You should be able to partition it just fine according to what that site
    says if I understand it correctly. Did you format it first and then
    partition it? Try that seeing as the BIOS recognizes that it's a full 80 GB.
    I've never found an instance where if the BIOS recognized the size that it
    would REQUIRE an update. 9 out of 10 times I recommend people not update the
    BIOS unless they absolutely require a feature that's not supported properly
    in their current BIOS version. I'd try formatting it to FAT32 using the
    format fdisk command and making sure that you select FAT32. Make it a
    primary partition and at the enter prompt make sure you select that you want
    to use full available space for the partition.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    > rI am installing an 80 GB hard drive. I get into the bios and it shows 80
    GB.
    > I boot the machine up to the Win 98 startup disk, fun fdisk and partition.
    It
    > will only partition to 10 GB. How do I get the whole 80 partitioned? Is
    this
    > a bios limitation? It shows 80 GB in the bios. This machine came with a 20
    GB
    > HD.

    The FDISK that comes with WIN98 has a bug in it for drives over 64GB.
    Read about it here and download the update. Or find a Windows ME
    boot disk, it has an updated FDISK on it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q263044/

BIOS Partition Windows