Dos screen error

terry

Win98SE

I have noticed the following text lines when I startup (or reboot), on the
dos screen.:

1line = "Mode select code page function completed"
next line = "Bad command or file name"

Pc proceeds to boot ok !!!!??

Any ideas please

TIA

You have chosen to set a country code, in control panel, keyboard, language,
codepage select is selecting the DOS drivers to allow the same keyboard
mapping to work in a dos window or boot to dos
If you wish to change them remove alternate keyboard mapping from control
panel keyboard language, you dont need it unless you are actually using it
for the pound sign. If you are using it, edit your autoexec.bat to check
the spelling on the line immediately following "Mode codepage prepare"

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Terry wrote:

> I have noticed the following text lines when I startup (or reboot), on the
> dos screen.:
>
> 1line = "Mode select code page function completed"
> next line = "Bad command or file name"
>
> Pc proceeds to boot ok !!!!??

Top line is a DOS command to normalize the
PC before installation of Win98.
Next line is a DOS error message: it usually
means an EXE file has been called that is not
on the drive or not in the DOS PATH environment.

But standard Win98 does not need AUTOEXEC.BAT
and CONFIG.SYS. Rename these both something
else, then reboot.

Using Windows Explorer, go to the C:\ drive and look for Autoexec.bat.
Right-click it then choose Edit. Press Ctrl-A to select all text, then
Ctrl-C to copy it, then open a reply to this post and use Ctrl-V to
paste in the contents of Autoexec.bat.

Assuming you haven't already closed Notepad (or whatever Plain-Text
editor opened when you chose Edit for Autoexec.bat) open C:\Config.sys
and do the same--copy it's contents to a reply post.

It may be that Config.sys doesn't exist. If not, don't worry, just post
what you have.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Win98SE
>
> I have noticed the following text lines when I startup (or reboot), on
the
> dos screen.:
>
> 1line = "Mode select code page function completed"
> next line = "Bad command or file name"
>
> Pc proceeds to boot ok !!!!??
>
> Any ideas please
>
> TIA

terry

Garry
Here is my Autoexe.bat file copy, although I do not use it or
config.sys..... via msconfig.(selective startup ticked):

C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\BOOTUP.EXE
@ECHO OFF
rem
rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
rem
rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
rem a placeholder for your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Your actual
rem AUTOEXEC.BAT file has been saved under the name AUTOEXEC.TSH.
rem
rem SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG

SET
PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\ULEADS~1\ULEADD~1
;C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\INFRA\CTVOLINI.EXE

Config.sys file does not open via edit as did Autoexec.bat did.

Terry

terry

Sorry Gary
I now enclose copy of my Config.sys file in C:\ (as was the Auto exec.bat
file I have just posted in reply).

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE X=C000-CFFF
rem
rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
rem
rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
rem a placeholder for your CONFIG.SYS. Your actual CONFIG.SYS
rem file has been saved under the name CONFIG.TSH.
rem
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

Terry

OK, sorry. Was busy this morning.

Ummm... So me a favor, OK? Perform the same operation (open in Notepad
and copy contents here) for AUTOEXEC.TSH and CONFIG.TSH, without making
any changes in MSCONFIG.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Sorry Gary
> I now enclose copy of my Config.sys file in C:\ (as was the Auto
exec.bat
> file I have just posted in reply).
>
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE X=C000-CFFF
> rem
> rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
> rem
> rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
> rem a placeholder for your CONFIG.SYS. Your actual CONFIG.SYS
> rem file has been saved under the name CONFIG.TSH.
> rem
> device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
> Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
>

> Terry

terry

Gary..ere ya go:

Autoexec.tsh
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

Config.tsh
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

Terry

line after "mode con codepage select=850"
usually reads
"c:\windows\command\keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys"

since a search path isnt set

--

_

> Gary..ere ya go:
>
> Autoexec.tsh
> mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
> mode con codepage select=850
> keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
>

> Config.tsh
> device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
> Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
>
> Terry

Copy both TSH files to your Desktop. Don't Move them, just Copy them.

Now, run MSCONFIG from Start\Run box and check the boxes for "Process
Autoexec.bat" and "Process Config.sys". They will already be partially
checked (checked but gray), so you'll probably have to click twice to
get a clear check box with a check mark.

Reboot and see what happens. Then report here and post the contents of
the two files, Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. You may notice that the TSH
files are gone--that's supposed to happen.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Gary..ere ya go:
>
> Autoexec.tsh
> mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
> mode con codepage select=850
> keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
>

> Config.tsh
> device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
> Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
>
> Terry

The Path already includes C:\Windows\Command\ by default. Or, at least,
it should.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> line after "mode con codepage select=850"
> usually reads
> "c:\windows\command\keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys"
>
> since a search path isnt set
>
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before use

> Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
> _
>

> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Gary..ere ya go:
> >
> > Autoexec.tsh
> > mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
> > mode con codepage select=850
> > keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
> >

> > Config.tsh
> > device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
> > Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
> >
> > Terry

terry

Magic!!
1) On reboot no "bad command" showing on the dos screen.
2) Yes...both config.tsh & autoexec.tsh have GONE from C:\

Autoexec.bat
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

Config.sys
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

What next may I ask??

Terry

Well, since having disabled Autoexec.bat and Config.sys in MSCONFIG
(which is where those backups with TSH extension came from) you have
installed a couple more things. A ULead scanner or camera, and a
Creative app, probably some infrared device(?) Those installations added
new lines to the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files that were not
retained when those got wiped out by restoring the TSH backups.

It's the Creative entry, I'm almost certain, that caused the error.
(Some sort of infrared device?)Use Find>Files & Folders to locate
CTVOLINI.EXE. Does it exist? And is it in the folder,
C:\Program Files\Creative\INFRA\ ? Regardless, I think the best way to
fix this is to reinstall it. See what gets added to Autoexec.bat and
Config.sys after installing it. Do this *after* doing the rest of what I
suggest--edit the files as suggested below and test, first, before
reinstalling the Creative software.

You also installed AVG and some ULead software (scanner or camera
related, probably.) You can either reinstall both or simply add the
proper lines back into the proper files. The easiest way to edit these
files is to run SYSEDIT from the Start\Run box.

Autoexec.bat: Add following lines at end of file:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\ULEADS~1\ULEADD~1
C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\BOOTUP.EXE

That's four lines, three that start SET PATH, and one that starts with
C:\PROGRA~1 and ends with BOOTUP.EXE. Your news reader--or mine-- may
wrap one or more lines and insert a line break.

The additional two lines in Config.sys are probably worth adding, too.
Though they usually aren't necessary for Windows 98, they might be
needed by the AVG BOOTUP.EXE program (or the Creative prog.) Put them at
the beginning of the file.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE X=C000-CFFF

Now, you should see the lines from Autoexec.bat as you start up the
system. Once everything seems OK, if you'd rather *not* see those lines,
add this line to the top of Autoexec.bat:

@ECHO OFF

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Magic!!
> 1) On reboot no "bad command" showing on the dos screen.
> 2) Yes...both config.tsh & autoexec.tsh have GONE from C:\
>
> Autoexec.bat
> mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
> mode con codepage select=850
> keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
>
> Config.sys
> device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
> Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
>
> What next may I ask??
>
> Terry

terry

This all reminds me of attempts to install a CREATIVE infra red cordless
keyboard & mouse some time ago, but aborted due to not having the "correct"
software.!!!(can't find it)

Searched for CTVOLINI.EXE ........not found.

All suggested editting done with Autoexec.bat & Config.sys OK.

Boots OK.

Deleted the CREATIVE folder after all above tasks.

Now do I still have keep the Autoexe & Config selected in the "startup" in
MSCONFIG.......Many say Win98se does not require them, but if you suggest
still select them I will do that.

Thanks for all the help.

Terry

Yes, you do need to keep those files enabled. While they aren't needed
to run Windows, they *are* needed to configure your system to the right
language and keyboard settings. You also have some path statements that
ULead software might need, plus that antivirus (AVG) entry which gets
the protection in place at the earliest possible moment.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User