Dos screen error

Win98SE

I have noticed the following text lines when I startup (or reboot), on the
dos screen.:

1line = "Mode select code page function completed"
next line = "Bad command or file name"

Pc proceeds to boot ok !!!!??

Any ideas please

TIA
15 answers Last reply
More about screen error

    You have chosen to set a country code, in control panel, keyboard, language,
    codepage select is selecting the DOS drivers to allow the same keyboard
    mapping to work in a dos window or boot to dos
    If you wish to change them remove alternate keyboard mapping from control
    panel keyboard language, you dont need it unless you are actually using it
    for the pound sign. If you are using it, edit your autoexec.bat to check
    the spelling on the line immediately following "Mode codepage prepare"

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Terry wrote:

    > I have noticed the following text lines when I startup (or reboot), on the
    > dos screen.:
    >
    > 1line = "Mode select code page function completed"
    > next line = "Bad command or file name"
    >
    > Pc proceeds to boot ok !!!!??

    Top line is a DOS command to normalize the
    PC before installation of Win98.
    Next line is a DOS error message: it usually
    means an EXE file has been called that is not
    on the drive or not in the DOS PATH environment.

    But standard Win98 does not need AUTOEXEC.BAT
    and CONFIG.SYS. Rename these both something
    else, then reboot.

    Using Windows Explorer, go to the C:\ drive and look for Autoexec.bat.
    Right-click it then choose Edit. Press Ctrl-A to select all text, then
    Ctrl-C to copy it, then open a reply to this post and use Ctrl-V to
    paste in the contents of Autoexec.bat.

    Assuming you haven't already closed Notepad (or whatever Plain-Text
    editor opened when you chose Edit for Autoexec.bat) open C:\Config.sys
    and do the same--copy it's contents to a reply post.

    It may be that Config.sys doesn't exist. If not, don't worry, just post
    what you have.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Win98SE
    >
    > I have noticed the following text lines when I startup (or reboot), on
    the
    > dos screen.:
    >
    > 1line = "Mode select code page function completed"
    > next line = "Bad command or file name"
    >
    > Pc proceeds to boot ok !!!!??
    >
    > Any ideas please
    >
    > TIA

    Garry
    Here is my Autoexe.bat file copy, although I do not use it or
    config.sys..... via msconfig.(selective startup ticked):

    C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\BOOTUP.EXE
    @ECHO OFF
    rem
    rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    rem
    rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    rem a placeholder for your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Your actual
    rem AUTOEXEC.BAT file has been saved under the name AUTOEXEC.TSH.
    rem
    rem SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG

    SET
    PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\ULEADS~1\ULEADD~1
    ;C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6

    mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
    mode con codepage select=850
    keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
    C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\INFRA\CTVOLINI.EXE

    Config.sys file does not open via edit as did Autoexec.bat did.

    Terry

    Sorry Gary
    I now enclose copy of my Config.sys file in C:\ (as was the Auto exec.bat
    file I have just posted in reply).

    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE X=C000-CFFF
    rem
    rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    rem
    rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    rem a placeholder for your CONFIG.SYS. Your actual CONFIG.SYS
    rem file has been saved under the name CONFIG.TSH.
    rem
    device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
    Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

    Terry

    OK, sorry. Was busy this morning.

    Ummm... So me a favor, OK? Perform the same operation (open in Notepad
    and copy contents here) for AUTOEXEC.TSH and CONFIG.TSH, without making
    any changes in MSCONFIG.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Sorry Gary
    > I now enclose copy of my Config.sys file in C:\ (as was the Auto
    exec.bat
    > file I have just posted in reply).
    >
    > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    > DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE X=C000-CFFF
    > rem
    > rem *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
    > rem
    > rem This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
    > rem a placeholder for your CONFIG.SYS. Your actual CONFIG.SYS
    > rem file has been saved under the name CONFIG.TSH.
    > rem
    > device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
    > Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
    >

    > Terry

    Gary..ere ya go:

    Autoexec.tsh
    mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
    mode con codepage select=850
    keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

    Config.tsh
    device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
    Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

    Terry

    line after "mode con codepage select=850"
    usually reads
    "c:\windows\command\keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys"

    since a search path isnt set

    --

    _

    > Gary..ere ya go:
    >
    > Autoexec.tsh
    > mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
    > mode con codepage select=850
    > keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
    >

    > Config.tsh
    > device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
    > Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
    >
    > Terry

    Copy both TSH files to your Desktop. Don't Move them, just Copy them.

    Now, run MSCONFIG from Start\Run box and check the boxes for "Process
    Autoexec.bat" and "Process Config.sys". They will already be partially
    checked (checked but gray), so you'll probably have to click twice to
    get a clear check box with a check mark.

    Reboot and see what happens. Then report here and post the contents of
    the two files, Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. You may notice that the TSH
    files are gone--that's supposed to happen.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Gary..ere ya go:
    >
    > Autoexec.tsh
    > mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
    > mode con codepage select=850
    > keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
    >

    > Config.tsh
    > device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
    > Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
    >
    > Terry

    The Path already includes C:\Windows\Command\ by default. Or, at least,
    it should.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > line after "mode con codepage select=850"
    > usually reads
    > "c:\windows\command\keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys"
    >
    > since a search path isnt set
    >
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
    before use

    > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    > _
    >

    > "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Gary..ere ya go:
    > >
    > > Autoexec.tsh
    > > mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
    > > mode con codepage select=850
    > > keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
    > >

    > > Config.tsh
    > > device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
    > > Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
    > >
    > > Terry

    Magic!!
    1) On reboot no "bad command" showing on the dos screen.
    2) Yes...both config.tsh & autoexec.tsh have GONE from C:\

    Autoexec.bat
    mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
    mode con codepage select=850
    keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

    Config.sys
    device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
    Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

    What next may I ask??

    Terry

    Well, since having disabled Autoexec.bat and Config.sys in MSCONFIG
    (which is where those backups with TSH extension came from) you have
    installed a couple more things. A ULead scanner or camera, and a
    Creative app, probably some infrared device(?) Those installations added
    new lines to the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files that were not
    retained when those got wiped out by restoring the TSH backups.

    It's the Creative entry, I'm almost certain, that caused the error.
    (Some sort of infrared device?)Use Find>Files & Folders to locate
    CTVOLINI.EXE. Does it exist? And is it in the folder,
    C:\Program Files\Creative\INFRA\ ? Regardless, I think the best way to
    fix this is to reinstall it. See what gets added to Autoexec.bat and
    Config.sys after installing it. Do this *after* doing the rest of what I
    suggest--edit the files as suggested below and test, first, before
    reinstalling the Creative software.

    You also installed AVG and some ULead software (scanner or camera
    related, probably.) You can either reinstall both or simply add the
    proper lines back into the proper files. The easiest way to edit these
    files is to run SYSEDIT from the Start\Run box.

    Autoexec.bat: Add following lines at end of file:

    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6
    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG
    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\ULEADS~1\ULEADD~1
    C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\BOOTUP.EXE

    That's four lines, three that start SET PATH, and one that starts with
    C:\PROGRA~1 and ends with BOOTUP.EXE. Your news reader--or mine-- may
    wrap one or more lines and insert a line break.

    The additional two lines in Config.sys are probably worth adding, too.
    Though they usually aren't necessary for Windows 98, they might be
    needed by the AVG BOOTUP.EXE program (or the Creative prog.) Put them at
    the beginning of the file.

    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE X=C000-CFFF

    Now, you should see the lines from Autoexec.bat as you start up the
    system. Once everything seems OK, if you'd rather *not* see those lines,
    add this line to the top of Autoexec.bat:

    @ECHO OFF

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Magic!!
    > 1) On reboot no "bad command" showing on the dos screen.
    > 2) Yes...both config.tsh & autoexec.tsh have GONE from C:\
    >
    > Autoexec.bat
    > mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
    > mode con codepage select=850
    > keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
    >
    > Config.sys
    > device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
    > Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
    >
    > What next may I ask??
    >
    > Terry

    This all reminds me of attempts to install a CREATIVE infra red cordless
    keyboard & mouse some time ago, but aborted due to not having the "correct"
    software.!!!(can't find it)

    Searched for CTVOLINI.EXE ........not found.

    All suggested editting done with Autoexec.bat & Config.sys OK.

    Boots OK.

    Deleted the CREATIVE folder after all above tasks.

    Now do I still have keep the Autoexe & Config selected in the "startup" in
    MSCONFIG.......Many say Win98se does not require them, but if you suggest
    still select them I will do that.

    Thanks for all the help.

    Terry

    Yes, you do need to keep those files enabled. While they aren't needed
    to run Windows, they *are* needed to configure your system to the right
    language and keyboard settings. You also have some path statements that
    ULead software might need, plus that antivirus (AVG) entry which gets
    the protection in place at the earliest possible moment.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > This all reminds me of attempts to install a CREATIVE infra red
    cordless
    > keyboard & mouse some time ago, but aborted due to not having the
    "correct"
    > software.!!!(can't find it)
    >
    > Searched for CTVOLINI.EXE ........not found.
    >
    > All suggested editting done with Autoexec.bat & Config.sys OK.
    >
    > Boots OK.
    >
    > Deleted the CREATIVE folder after all above tasks.
    >
    > Now do I still have keep the Autoexe & Config selected in the
    "startup" in
    > MSCONFIG.......Many say Win98se does not require them, but if you
    suggest
    > still select them I will do that.
    >
    > Thanks for all the help.
    >
    > Terry