I can't get into my Pen Drive

I received a pen drive from a friend (with no additional material). I
couldn't figure out how to use it on my computer (Win98 2nd Ed.). I brought
it to the computer lab at my school and plugged it into the USB port there.
Immediately the computer (Win2000 or XP) recognized it and I was able to put
files onto it. Now I would like to look at those files on my home computer.
But it still doesn't recognize it. The lab computer said it was a
"Hitachi_DK23EB-40". I called Hitachi about the pen drive and they said I
don't need a pen drive driver. Instead they said the USB driver needs to be a
newer version that supports the pen drive. Is this correct? What would I do
to fix this? (I don't know if I have USB 1 or USB 2.)
2 answers Last reply
More about drive

    Matt,

    Something is wrong here. The Hitachi model number you provided is for a
    39.1 GB hard disk drive and NOT a pen drive.

    You need to plug that thing back into a WinXP PC and look in Device
    Manager for info on the make and model of the pen drive. You can also
    get the free Everest Home Edition (freeware sites) which will provide
    the needed info on the pen drive.

    THEN,

    Locate the manufacturer's web site and download a W98 or W98se driver
    (depending on what you have) and install the driver as required. Note,
    some pens require the driver be installed first, then plug in the pen
    and let windows find it - others have you wait until windows "finds new
    hardware..." and asks for a driver." Be sure to get that correct.

    I don't know of any USB pen drives that run in Win98 right out of the
    box, you will most likely require a new driver which will contain the
    needed software for Windows to recognize the pen.

    Fred

    "Matt Swehla" <Matt Swehla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I received a pen drive from a friend (with no additional material). I
    >couldn't figure out how to use it on my computer (Win98 2nd Ed.). I brought
    >it to the computer lab at my school and plugged it into the USB port there.
    >Immediately the computer (Win2000 or XP) recognized it and I was able to put
    >files onto it.

    Win2K and WinXP come with a generic driver for USB mass storage
    devices, Win98 and Win98SE do not. To use this device on your Win98SE
    system you'll have to go to the manufacturer's web site and see if
    they have a WIn98SE driver for this thing.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

Computers USB Windows