How do I add SB16 CDROM support to startup disk?

Trying to install Windows 98 on an older PC. CDROM is not working w/ generic
drivers in startup files. General instructions are to use manufacturer
drivers if CDROM runs from sound card and won't work with generic drivers.
How do I add SB16 CDROM support to startup disk, and will there be any issue
with using 'update' drivers. (Seems that's all that's available from
Creative Labs for the card since it's so old.)

Thanks!

The correct drivers (whether update or original) should come with a DOS
installation utility that will copy the correct files to the CD and update
the system files as required. However, I would expect that you would get
the drivers from the CD-ROM drive manufacturer rather than from Creative.

You will need (typically) one .SYS file (which will have an entry in
CONFIG.SYS) and MSCDEX.EXE which will require an entry in AUTOEXEC.BAT. THE
SB16 manual has full details for the MSCDDEX entry. The options for the
..SYS file (if any are required) will be documented by the CD-drive
manufacturer.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)