Fatal Exception in NTKERN randomly

I am getting the error “Fatal Exception OE has occurred at 0028:C002F709 in
VXD NTKERN(01) + 0000DFC9� randomly. It happens if the computer just sits
there sometimes. Nothing has really been done to the computer since this
started happening except for upgrading AOL 8.0 to 9.0. Any ideas? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about fatal exception ntkern randomly

    Does it *only* happen when the computer is just sitting there?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am getting the error “Fatal Exception OE has occurred at
    0028:C002F709 in
    > VXD NTKERN(01) + 0000DFC9� randomly. It happens if the computer just
    sits
    > there sometimes. Nothing has really been done to the computer since
    this
    > started happening except for upgrading AOL 8.0 to 9.0. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

    Yes I believe it does. If I am done using it, I will usually shutdown, but
    occasionally will leave it running and I will come back to the computer and
    there is the message. It also appears somewhat "blurred". I can't read it
    but the screen will have a bunch of weird characters on it, but you can tell
    the error message is there because of the colors on
    the screen. I believe the 'blurred' error did happen one time running disk
    defragmenter. The 'blurred' part is hard to describe. Basically there are
    strange characters ($%&*) but the colors are the same, so you can tell it is
    a fatal exception error. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Does it *only* happen when the computer is just sitting there?
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am getting the error “Fatal Exception OE has occurred at
    > 0028:C002F709 in
    > > VXD NTKERN(01) + 0000DFC9� randomly. It happens if the computer just
    > sits
    > > there sometimes. Nothing has really been done to the computer since
    > this
    > > started happening except for upgrading AOL 8.0 to 9.0. Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    Write down current settings wherever you change them. Good to know for
    further diagnosis. Typically, they all tend to occur at different times.

    Go into Display Settings, to the Screensaver tab, press Power Management
    button, set no power savings at all. No Standby, no Hibernate, no
    Suspend. Press OK. Back on Screensaver tab, set to None. Restart your
    machine.

    Leave the machine unattended for as long as it takes to test if the
    behavior repeats. Do you have to move the mouse or do anything else to
    cause the screen to change, or do you see the error without touching
    anything?

    --

    > Yes I believe it does. If I am done using it, I will usually
    shutdown, but
    > occasionally will leave it running and I will come back to the
    computer and
    > there is the message. It also appears somewhat "blurred". I can't
    read it
    > but the screen will have a bunch of weird characters on it, but you
    can tell
    > the error message is there because of the colors on
    > the screen. I believe the 'blurred' error did happen one time running
    disk
    > defragmenter. The 'blurred' part is hard to describe. Basically
    there are
    > strange characters ($%&*) but the colors are the same, so you can tell
    it is
    > a fatal exception error. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!
    >
    > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
    >
    > > Does it *only* happen when the computer is just sitting there?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am getting the error “Fatal Exception OE has occurred at
    > > 0028:C002F709 in
    > > > VXD NTKERN(01) + 0000DFC9� randomly. It happens if the computer
    just
    > > sits
    > > > there sometimes. Nothing has really been done to the computer
    since
    > > this
    > > > started happening except for upgrading AOL 8.0 to 9.0. Any ideas?
    > > Thanks.

Computers Microsoft Windows