Unwanted system folder appeared.

Has anybody had an unwanted system folder appear in 'my computer' that will
not go away? The folder cannot be deleted and cannot be opened. On right
clicking the description system folder column and clicking properties opens
the system information panel in control panel. Any clues? i'm running W98SE
--
a thanks from gordon bennet
6 answers Last reply

    Sometimes applications leave folders in My Computer or on the desktop after
    they are uninstalled. Open the registry editor (regedit.exe) to the
    appropriate key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace

    Look for an entry that looks differently from the others or refers to the
    program. Export the key so you can restore it in case of problems and then
    delete the entry.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "gordon bennet" <gordonbennet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Has anybody had an unwanted system folder appear in 'my computer' that
    > will
    > not go away? The folder cannot be deleted and cannot be opened. On right
    > clicking the description system folder column and clicking properties
    > opens
    > the system information panel in control panel. Any clues? i'm running
    > W98SE
    > --
    > a thanks from gordon bennet

    Hi Ron,
    Would it be something that you could do from Dos?
    ie, could you just ' rd ' and let it sort itself from there?
    (I shouldnt even be posting, have so much study to do,
    but this sort of thing is along the lines of my study, so...)

    regards Jane

    "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > Sometimes applications leave folders in My Computer or on the desktop
    after
    > they are uninstalled. Open the registry editor (regedit.exe) to the
    > appropriate key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Deskto
    p\NameSpace

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\MyComp
    uter\NameSpace

    > Look for an entry that looks differently from the others or refers to the
    > program. Export the key so you can restore it in case of problems and
    then
    > delete the entry.
    >

    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >
    > "gordon bennet" <gordonbennet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Has anybody had an unwanted system folder appear in 'my computer' that
    > > will
    > > not go away? The folder cannot be deleted and cannot be opened. On
    right
    > > clicking the description system folder column and clicking properties
    > > opens
    > > the system information panel in control panel. Any clues? i'm running
    > > W98SE
    > > --
    > > a thanks from gordon bennet

    These "folders" aren't directories, Jane. They aren't part of the file
    system. They're imaginary folders, shortcuts, really, that are created
    by entries in the Registry. You get rid of them by getting rid of the
    entries that create them.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Ron,
    > Would it be something that you could do from Dos?
    > ie, could you just ' rd ' and let it sort itself from there?
    > (I shouldnt even be posting, have so much study to do,
    > but this sort of thing is along the lines of my study, so...)
    >
    > regards Jane
    >
    > "Ron Badour" <Sorry@NoAddress.com> wrote in message
    > > Sometimes applications leave folders in My Computer or on the
    desktop
    > after
    > > they are uninstalled. Open the registry editor (regedit.exe) to the
    > > appropriate key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\De
    skto
    > p\NameSpace

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\My
    Comp
    > uter\NameSpace
    > >
    > > Look for an entry that looks differently from the others or refers
    to the
    > > program. Export the key so you can restore it in case of problems
    and
    > then
    > > delete the entry.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    > > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > > Knowledge Base Info:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    > >
    > > "gordon bennet" <gordonbennet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > > > Has anybody had an unwanted system folder appear in 'my computer'
    that
    > > > will
    > > > not go away? The folder cannot be deleted and cannot be opened.
    On
    > right
    > > > clicking the description system folder column and clicking
    properties
    > > > opens
    > > > the system information panel in control panel. Any clues? i'm
    running
    > > > W98SE
    > > > --
    > > > a thanks from gordon bennet

    > These "folders" aren't directories, Jane. They aren't part of the file
    > system. They're imaginary folders, shortcuts, really, that are created
    > by entries in the Registry. You get rid of them by getting rid of the
    > entries that create them.

    Thanks gary,
    Cleared one thing up, buuuut,,,,,
    If they are imaginary, (so to speak), Why did something as smart as the
    Registry
    create/make them in the first place? (or is it an Entry in the Reg that
    created an Entry within itself even though it Knew it wasnt Real
    anyway).
    (i love my d/t)

    regards Jane

    The registry isn't intelligent - it's just a repository. It's up to the OS
    and the applications to use the registry properly. The system provides a
    facility for applications to create these 'virtual' folders using a registry
    entry, and it assumes they will be done properly. In fact, it would be
    extremely difficult to determine which ones were supposed to be there and
    which weren't, as evidenced by how often registry cleaners such as Norton
    get it wrong.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    "Jeff Richards" wrote:

    > The registry isn't intelligent - it's just a repository. It's up to the OS
    > and the applications to use the registry properly. The system provides a
    > facility for applications to create these 'virtual' folders using a registry
    > entry, and it assumes they will be done properly. In fact, it would be
    > extremely difficult to determine which ones were supposed to be there and
    > which weren't, as evidenced by how often registry cleaners such as Norton
    > get it wrong.
    > --
    > Jeff Richards
    > MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > "jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > snip <
    > >
    > > Thanks gary,
    > > Cleared one thing up, buuuut,,,,,
    > > If they are imaginary, (so to speak), Why did something as smart as the
    > > Registry
    > > create/make them in the first place? (or is it an Entry in the Reg that
    > > created an Entry within itself even though it Knew it wasnt Real
    > > anyway).
    > > (i love my d/t)
    > >
    > > regards Jane
    >
    >Thanks for the input i have tried Norton Utilities on this with a scan but as you say it got it wrong. I will try digging in with the registry editor as suggested. Thanks for now.

Control Panel Microsoft Windows