USB 2.0 card under Win98SE?

I noted in a thread about USB 2.0 _hubs_ that Win98SE
is a "bare minimum" for supporting USB 2.0. Would
that advice differ for a USB 2.0 _card_? Unlike the
querier in that thread, I really would like to take
advantage of 2.0 speed, and that would be the point
of installing such a card. Would 98SE (on a 1 GHz
machine, with 256 MBy if that's relevant) have any
problems with a 2.0 card (several USB 1 ports are
present and in use)? Thanks for any responses.

Windows 98 Second Edition should be fine for a USB 2 card--provided the
manufacturer provides drivers for it. There are no such drivers included
in the Win98SE installation files.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
> I noted in a thread about USB 2.0 _hubs_ that Win98SE
> is a "bare minimum" for supporting USB 2.0. Would
> that advice differ for a USB 2.0 _card_? Unlike the
> querier in that thread, I really would like to take
> advantage of 2.0 speed, and that would be the point
> of installing such a card. Would 98SE (on a 1 GHz
> machine, with 256 MBy if that's relevant) have any
> problems with a 2.0 card (several USB 1 ports are
> present and in use)? Thanks for any responses.

Rodney

G'day,
I recently had a Sunix USB 2 card fitted to my W98se box
$55 AUD fitted at the shop, Software CD included,
Wow! it's like putting a V8 inside mum's V W.

| Windows 98 Second Edition should be fine for a USB 2 card--provided the
| manufacturer provides drivers for it. There are no such drivers included
| in the Win98SE installation files.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
|
| "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
| > I noted in a thread about USB 2.0 _hubs_ that Win98SE
| > is a "bare minimum" for supporting USB 2.0. Would
| > that advice differ for a USB 2.0 _card_? Unlike the
| > querier in that thread, I really would like to take
| > advantage of 2.0 speed, and that would be the point
| > of installing such a card. Would 98SE (on a 1 GHz
| > machine, with 256 MBy if that's relevant) have any
| > problems with a 2.0 card (several USB 1 ports are
| > present and in use)? Thanks for any responses.

Yup, they're fast all right. Not quite as good as Firewire for certain
things, though. Like external disk drives--they seem to do better with
firewire (I was told the reason recently, but I'd have to look it up.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message
> G'day,
> I recently had a Sunix USB 2 card fitted to my W98se box
> $55 AUD fitted at the shop, Software CD included,
> Wow! it's like putting a V8 inside mum's V W.
>

> | Windows 98 Second Edition should be fine for a USB 2 card--provided
the
> | manufacturer provides drivers for it. There are no such drivers
included
> | in the Win98SE installation files.
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS MVP Shell/User
> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> |
> | "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message
> | > I noted in a thread about USB 2.0 _hubs_ that Win98SE
> | > is a "bare minimum" for supporting USB 2.0. Would
> | > that advice differ for a USB 2.0 _card_? Unlike the
> | > querier in that thread, I really would like to take
> | > advantage of 2.0 speed, and that would be the point
> | > of installing such a card. Would 98SE (on a 1 GHz
> | > machine, with 256 MBy if that's relevant) have any
> | > problems with a 2.0 card (several USB 1 ports are
> | > present and in use)? Thanks for any responses.

I bought a 5 port 2.0 Belkin PCI card for £19.99 from Curry's for my 98SE .
You also get the software for the drivers with it. Works fine with no
problem. Bob

> Yup, they're fast all right. Not quite as good as Firewire for certain
> things, though. Like external disk drives--they seem to do better with
> firewire (I was told the reason recently, but I'd have to look it up.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message
> > G'day,
> > I recently had a Sunix USB 2 card fitted to my W98se box
> > $55 AUD fitted at the shop, Software CD included,
> > Wow! it's like putting a V8 inside mum's V W.
> >

> > | Windows 98 Second Edition should be fine for a USB 2 card--provided
> the
> > | manufacturer provides drivers for it. There are no such drivers
> included
> > | in the Win98SE installation files.
> > |
> > | --
> > | Gary S. Terhune
> > | MS MVP Shell/User
> > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > |
> > | "Anthony Buckland" <buckland@direct.ca> wrote in message

Thanks for all the replies. I'll buy something available
locally, and get back to the thread.

Re Firewire: I have it, ironically, as original with my
machine (2000 vintage). The problem is finding anything
with a reasonable cost that _uses_ Firewire. :(

AFAIAC, when it comes to external hard drives, which are about the only
things I've ever used Firewire for, it's worth the extra cost. If I were
to get into anything that included a direct video feed to the PC (live
video, web cam) I'd also look for a Firewire device.

--

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> AFAIAC, when it comes to external hard drives, which are about the only
> things I've ever used Firewire for, it's worth the extra cost. If I were
> to get into anything that included a direct video feed to the PC (live
> video, web cam) I'd also look for a Firewire device.

Right, I should look into external drives. I'd been looking at
upgrading my scanner, and Firewire is much more expensive there
for my needs. USB 2.0, on the other hand, is just about
universal now in scanners.

IIRC, the true difference isn't in speed of raw transfer, it's in
latency--USB tends to have a longer lag time between command and
response. For printers and scanners and such, lag time isn't usually a
big concern. For file transfers, direct access by the OS to stored
files, and real-time input (video, for instance) latency can be very
important.

--

Anthony Buckland wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. I'll buy something available
> locally, and get back to the thread.
>
> Re Firewire: I have it, ironically, as original with my
> machine (2000 vintage). The problem is finding anything
> with a reasonable cost that _uses_ Firewire. :(

And I ended up buying an ADSTech card (French, I guess,
since their Southern Europe office address has no country
in it), 4 ports, $30. Canadian plus tax. Unfortunately,
though, thereby hangs a tale which will feature in my
new thread asking about IRQ conflicts.