Dual Core issues

I just installed an AMD X2 4800 this wknd. However, I'm having some problems with it. Instead of splitting things to both cores, it's wanting to run everything on the second core. It doesn't always do this, but it's pretty consistant in some regards.

Normally, when I'm running WoW, WoW uses one core, and everything else uses the other core. However, whenever I run WMP, it starts running on the same core as WoW, even though there's nothing else running. So WoW goes from 30-50% to 10-20%. I've tried setting the affinity's to different cores, and still have the same problem.

Oh, an' I forgot to mention that I'm running a dual monitor setup with a seperate video card for each monitor.

Anybody have any ideas or solutions? I'm trying to find that program posted a while back that lets you tell things to use different cores, but I can't find it.
3 answers Last reply
More about dual core issues
  1. Does your motherboard's BIOS actually support dual-core CPUs ?
    Is your OS SMP aware (Hardware Abstraction Layer) ?
    Have you applied dual-core updates to your OS ?

If you answered no to one of those questions, you need to apply the appropriate patches.
  2. Quote:
    Does your motherboard's BIOS actually support dual-core CPUs ?

If you answered no to one of those questions, you need to apply the appropriate patches.

I'd add that you should download the proper drivers from AMD as well.
  3. Quote:
    Does your motherboard's BIOS actually support dual-core CPUs ?

AFAIK, yes. How do I check?

Also, I did some more testing. If I just have WMP playing on the one monitor, everything is fine. But if I have another window open on top of WMP, WMP takes over the entire second core, and none of the processes on there will switch to the first core. As soon as I move the window to the other monitor, WMP goes back to normal. AFAIK, it's the only app that does this.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core World Of Warcraft Dual Core