Netdc error on boot up

When booting W98 a dialog box appears with Netdc file missing error.
Can anyone tell me where I can download the missing file or how to repair
this fault ?
17 answers Last reply
More about netdc error boot

    "eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > When booting W98 a dialog box appears with Netdc file missing error.
    > Can anyone tell me where I can download the missing file or how to repair
    > this fault ?

    1. Is the fault that Win98 fails to boot or is this an
    error message (file not found) that seems to be
    nonfunctional?
    2. Are you on a network? If not, you may not
    need this file. If you are, ask the network chief.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Hi

    Its an error message, file not found..i followed the link In Alans reply and
    deleted Netda entry in registry, rebooted but this appears again. Also on
    booting AVG (free version) detects PSW.Dumarin.Z trojan in
    WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL...i select Heal but this also keeps reappearing.

    Any advice how to remove the 2 problems ?

    eric wrote:

    > Its an error message, file not found..i followed the link In Alans reply and
    > deleted Netda entry in registry, rebooted but this appears again. Also on
    > booting AVG (free version) detects PSW.Dumarin.Z trojan in
    > WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL...i select Heal but this also keeps reappearing.
    >
    > Any advice how to remove the 2 problems ?

    Get rid of the trojan first.
    If your AV app does not do so effectively
    DELete it in DOS and tidy up later.

    Download F-Prot for DOS and the latest defininitions
    http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

    Create a new folder on C: named Fprot
    Extract the files to the Fprot folder
    Read the Command.txt, Read_Me.txt, Scan.txt and Speed.txt to get an
    understanding of it.
    Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press Enter
    Under the General tab click the Advanced button
    Place a check next to "Enable Startup menu"
    Click Apply > Ok and reboot.

    Select DOS command prompt only from the startup menu
    At the command prompt type each line and press enter:

    cd
    c:\
    c:\fprot\f-prot.exe

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Hi
    >
    > Its an error message, file not found..i followed the link In Alans reply
    > and
    > deleted Netda entry in registry, rebooted but this appears again. Also on
    > booting AVG (free version) detects PSW.Dumarin.Z trojan in
    > WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL...i select Heal but this also keeps reappearing.
    >
    > Any advice how to remove the 2 problems ?
    >
    > "Don Phillipson" wrote:
    >
    >> "eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > When booting W98 a dialog box appears with Netdc file missing error.
    >> > Can anyone tell me where I can download the missing file or how to
    >> > repair
    >> > this fault ?
    >>
    >> 1. Is the fault that Win98 fails to boot or is this an
    >> error message (file not found) that seems to be
    >> nonfunctional?
    >> 2. Are you on a network? If not, you may not
    >> need this file. If you are, ask the network chief.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Don Phillipson
    >> Carlsbad Springs
    >> (Ottawa, Canada)

    This trojan is not meant to attack Win98 according to the url below,
    but I don't see why not. Follow the instructions as best you can,
    although your AV may have removed it and only left the Registry
    entries (see the "Removing Autostart entries" section and read between
    the lines a bit.

    http://de.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/security_info/ve_detail.php?Vname=TROJ_DUMARIN.L

    What AV are you using?
    Are there any entries in the log files giving an indication of a
    removed virus?

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "eric"
    <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >When booting W98 a dialog box appears with Netdc file missing error.
    >Can anyone tell me where I can download the missing file or how to repair
    >this fault ?

    Thanks for reply...Iam using AVG (free version) and yes a trojan dialler
    exists but when I run the AVG it does not remove it.
    I am not really familiar with log files etc but will read the links and see
    what action I can take.

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > This trojan is not meant to attack Win98 according to the url below,
    > but I don't see why not. Follow the instructions as best you can,
    > although your AV may have removed it and only left the Registry
    > entries (see the "Removing Autostart entries" section and read between
    > the lines a bit.
    >
    > http://de.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/security_info/ve_detail.php?Vname=TROJ_DUMARIN.L
    >
    > What AV are you using?
    > Are there any entries in the log files giving an indication of a
    > removed virus?
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "eric"
    > <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >When booting W98 a dialog box appears with Netdc file missing error.
    > >Can anyone tell me where I can download the missing file or how to repair
    > >this fault ?

    thanks for the reply. I have followed this and rebooted but I still get the
    same result.
    Netdc error.......

    "Brian A." wrote:

    > Download F-Prot for DOS and the latest defininitions
    > http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/
    >
    > Create a new folder on C: named Fprot
    > Extract the files to the Fprot folder
    > Read the Command.txt, Read_Me.txt, Scan.txt and Speed.txt to get an
    > understanding of it.
    > Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press Enter
    > Under the General tab click the Advanced button
    > Place a check next to "Enable Startup menu"
    > Click Apply > Ok and reboot.
    >
    > Select DOS command prompt only from the startup menu
    > At the command prompt type each line and press enter:
    >
    > cd
    > c:\
    > c:\fprot\f-prot.exe
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Its an error message, file not found..i followed the link In Alans reply
    > > and
    > > deleted Netda entry in registry, rebooted but this appears again. Also on
    > > booting AVG (free version) detects PSW.Dumarin.Z trojan in
    > > WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL...i select Heal but this also keeps reappearing.
    > >
    > > Any advice how to remove the 2 problems ?
    > >
    > > "Don Phillipson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> 1. Is the fault that Win98 fails to boot or is this an
    > >> error message (file not found) that seems to be
    > >> nonfunctional?
    > >> 2. Are you on a network? If not, you may not
    > >> need this file. If you are, ask the network chief.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Don Phillipson
    > >> Carlsbad Springs
    > >> (Ottawa, Canada)

    Did you first stop both NETDC and NETDA running with Ctrl+Alt+Del?
    If not, one will probably recreate the Registry entries again.

    Did you also remove the entry in the Registry for NETDC?

    Does AVG have a web page with any information of this version of
    Dumarin? (I can't find any but I am not familiar with Grisoft)

    Did you check Startup for any reference that may be similar to the
    ones at the url I gave you?
    Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
    (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

    Start-Run-msinfo32
    Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    Click Startup Programs
    Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    Paste that information in your message.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "eric"
    <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Its an error message, file not found..i followed the link In Alans reply and
    >deleted Netda entry in registry, rebooted but this appears again. Also on
    >booting AVG (free version) detects PSW.Dumarin.Z trojan in
    >WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL...i select Heal but this also keeps reappearing.
    >
    >Any advice how to remove the 2 problems ?
    >
    >"Don Phillipson" wrote:
    >
    >> "eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > When booting W98 a dialog box appears with Netdc file missing error.
    >> > Can anyone tell me where I can download the missing file or how to repair
    >> > this fault ?
    >>
    >> 1. Is the fault that Win98 fails to boot or is this an
    >> error message (file not found) that seems to be
    >> nonfunctional?
    >> 2. Are you on a network? If not, you may not
    >> need this file. If you are, ask the network chief.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Don Phillipson
    >> Carlsbad Springs
    >> (Ottawa, Canada)

    NETDC and NETDA don't appear when I do Ctrl+Alt+Del.......
    I ran the two MS* programs as per your mail and I see nothing untoward
    though I don't really know what I am doing. Here is the cut and paste for the
    second one

    Office Startup Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office\OSA.EXE" -b
    Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
    WinZip Quick Pick Startup Group "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE"
    SpySweeper Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy
    Sweeper\SPYSWEEPER.EXE" /0
    Yahoo! Pager Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program
    Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
    STManager Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\SpeedTouch\Dr
    SpeedTouch\drst.exe" -b
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
    ATIGART Registry (Machine Run) c:\ati\gart\atigart.exe
    AtiPTA Registry (Machine Run) Atiptaaa.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    MMTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH
    Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    AVG_CC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
    TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program
    Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    Avgserv9.exe Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
    r_server Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SERVICE.EXE /service

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > Did you first stop both NETDC and NETDA running with Ctrl+Alt+Del?
    > If not, one will probably recreate the Registry entries again.
    >
    > Did you also remove the entry in the Registry for NETDC?
    >
    > Does AVG have a web page with any information of this version of
    > Dumarin? (I can't find any but I am not familiar with Grisoft)
    >
    > Did you check Startup for any reference that may be similar to the
    > ones at the url I gave you?
    > Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
    > (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    > If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:
    >
    > Start-Run-msinfo32
    > Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    > Click Startup Programs
    > Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    > Paste that information in your message.
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "eric"
    > <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >Its an error message, file not found..i followed the link In Alans reply and
    > >deleted Netda entry in registry, rebooted but this appears again. Also on
    > >booting AVG (free version) detects PSW.Dumarin.Z trojan in
    > >WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL...i select Heal but this also keeps reappearing.
    > >
    > >Any advice how to remove the 2 problems ?
    > >
    > >"Don Phillipson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> 1. Is the fault that Win98 fails to boot or is this an
    > >> error message (file not found) that seems to be
    > >> nonfunctional?
    > >> 2. Are you on a network? If not, you may not
    > >> need this file. If you are, ask the network chief.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Don Phillipson
    > >> Carlsbad Springs
    > >> (Ottawa, Canada)

    I asked you more questions than you answered.
    Please answer them all.

    Get rid of SERVICE.EXE and the Registry entry for it (r_server).
    That can only be a virus or parasite and I am surprised that AVG does
    not pick it up.
    The Registry entry will be under
    The file is in your System folder.

    I don't see any entry for NETDA. You said it reappeared but where?

    ....Alan

    --
> [...]

    >> (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    >> If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:
    >>
    >> Start-Run-msinfo32
    >> Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    >> Click Startup Programs
    >> Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    >> Paste that information in your message.
    >>
    >> ....Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "eric"
    >> <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi
    >> >
    >> >Its an error message, file not found..i followed the link In Alans reply and
    >> >deleted Netda entry in registry, rebooted but this appears again. Also on
    >> >booting AVG (free version) detects PSW.Dumarin.Z trojan in
    >> >WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL...i select Heal but this also keeps reappearing.
    >> >
    >> >Any advice how to remove the 2 problems ?

    I get rid of the load32...Netda entry in the registry. There is no r_server
    entry in the registry of the path below.
    When I reboot the Netda reappears in the registry. If I do a search for
    SERVICE.exe it finds the file in WINDOWS/SYSTEM....it says I can't delete it
    as its in use. Forgive me but I am not technically au fait with Windows and
    its registers etc....

    Any further suggestion ?

    > thanks for the reply. I have followed this and rebooted but I still get
    > the
    > same result.
    > Netdc error.......

    I realise you supplied the name Dumarin which Alan gave reference to, yet I
    wonder if it is the Trojan.Dumaru which does affect 98. Here is info on one
    of the variants, click the advanced tab:
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojdumaruk.html
    Troj/Dumaru-K is a Trojan with password stealing capabilities. When first
    run Troj/Dumaru-K copies itself to the Windows System folder as NETDA.EXE
    and NETDC.EXE. In order to run automatically each time Windows is started,
    Troj/Dumaru-K sets the following registry entry:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run load32 =
    <SYSTEM>\netda.exe

    The Trojan will alter the [boot] section of system.ini to ensure that it is
    run each time a program is run. For example, shell=explorer.exe
    <SYSTEM>\netdc.exe
    The following files may also be created:

    <WINDOWS>\prntsvr.dll
    <WINDOWS>\dvpd.dll
    <WINDOWS>\dvp.log
    <WINDOWS>\prntk.log
    <WINDOWS>\prntc.log
    <TEMP>\fe43e701.htm
    <TEMP>\feff35a0.htm
    <TEMP>\fa4537ef.tmp

    You could try the removal tool from Symantec:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.dumaru.removal.tool.html

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Sorry, r_server is in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    Stop Service.exe being used. Try looking in Cttl+Alt+Del to see if the
    name appears and End Task on it or boot to DOS and delete it.
    You don't have to search for it. You already knew where it was.

    Where in the Registry does Netda appear?
    Please supply the path as requested and answer all questions or I can
    do nothing to help you.

    ....Alan

    --
> [...]

    >> >AtiPTA Registry (Machine Run) Atiptaaa.exe
    >> >LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
    >> >powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    >> >MMTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH
    >> >Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    >> >AVG_CC Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
    >> >TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common
    >> >Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    >> >SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program
    >> >Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
    >> >LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
    >> >powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    >> >SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    >> >Avgserv9.exe Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
    >> >r_server Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SERVICE.EXE /service

    Sorry about the incomplete info. This website is slow and not easy to use.
    Evertime I have to resize all the frames and it takes ages. Don't know if
    other people have problems posting on here.

    Ok. Tried your suggestions...did not work ..I deleted from DOS SERVICE.EXE
    and removed r_server

    The Netda appears in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\current
    version\run

    WHen I reboot as I mentioned in a previous thread I get a Trojan detected
    PSW.DUMARIN.Z in WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL I then select Heal in the AVG guard.
    RUnning AVG detects the virus but cannot remove it. Not sure if the two are
    linked.

    When ctrl+alt+del there is no service.exe entry

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > Sorry, r_server is in:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    >
    > Stop Service.exe being used. Try looking in Cttl+Alt+Del to see if the
    > name appears and End Task on it or boot to DOS and delete it.
    > You don't have to search for it. You already knew where it was.
    >
    > Where in the Registry does Netda appear?
    > Please supply the path as requested and answer all questions or I can
    > do nothing to help you.
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >

    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "eric"
    > <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I get rid of the load32...Netda entry in the registry. There is no r_server
    > >entry in the registry of the path below.
    > >When I reboot the Netda reappears in the registry. If I do a search for
    > >SERVICE.exe it finds the file in WINDOWS/SYSTEM....it says I can't delete it
    > >as its in use. Forgive me but I am not technically au fait with Windows and
    > >its registers etc....
    > >
    > >Any further suggestion ?
    > >
    > >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I asked you more questions than you answered.
    > >> Please answer them all.
    > >>
    > >> Get rid of SERVICE.EXE and the Registry entry for it (r_server).
    > >> That can only be a virus or parasite and I am surprised that AVG does
    > >> not pick it up.
    > >> The Registry entry will be under
    > >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >> The file is in your System folder.
    > >>
    > >> I don't see any entry for NETDA. You said it reappeared but where?
    > >>
    > >> ....Alan
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

    I have downloaded and run the latest AVG version which seems to have cured my
    Trojan DUMARIN problem thankfully. So all that remains now is when I boot I
    just get a missing file dialog box shown saying Netdc cannot be found.

    In MSCONFIG there is a Netda entry disabled but no such entry for Netdc.

    thanks for your help...I guess I can live with this if thats all thats wrong
    with it......

    > I have downloaded and run the latest AVG version which seems to have cured
    my
    > Trojan DUMARIN problem thankfully. So all that remains now is when I boot
    > just get a missing file dialog box shown saying Netdc cannot be found.

    Hold down a Windows key and press F to bring up
    the Find: All Files dialog box

    In the "Containing text" box, type NETDC

    Set the "Look in" scroll box to the C: drive

    Click Find Now

    That should tell you where NETDC is referenced

    Likely candidates are the Registry, Win.Ini and System.Ini

    You could run SYSEDIT or MSCONFIG first,
    if you like, and check the latter 2 files manually.

    Start up in Safe Mode.
    Open either MyComputer or Explorer.
    On the Menu bar click View > Folder Options > View tab.
    Make sure you have a check next to " Show hidden files and folders" and "
    Display contents of the System folder.
    Make sure you have no check next to "Hide extensions for....".

    Navigate to C:\Windows.
    Scroll to find DVPD.DLL and rename the extension to .bad.
    If it is not allowed reboot and start up to the DOS command prompt.
    At the prompt type each line and press Enter after each:

    cd
    c:\windows
    attrib -s -h -r dvpd.dll
    ren dvpd.dll dvpd.bad
    Press ctrl+alt+del to reboot.

    If you do not get the detected Trojan on boot and you have no problems with
    any legit apps after a few days, delete dvpd.bad from C:\Windows.

    --

    > Sorry about the incomplete info. This website is slow and not easy to use.
    > Evertime I have to resize all the frames and it takes ages. Don't know if
    > other people have problems posting on here.
    >
    > Ok. Tried your suggestions...did not work ..I deleted from DOS SERVICE.EXE
    > and removed r_server
    >

    > The Netda appears in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\current
    > version\run
    >
    > WHen I reboot as I mentioned in a previous thread I get a Trojan detected
    > PSW.DUMARIN.Z in WINDOWS\DVPD.DLL I then select Heal in the AVG guard.
    > RUnning AVG detects the virus but cannot remove it. Not sure if the two
    > are
    > linked.
    >
    > When ctrl+alt+del there is no service.exe entry
    >
    > "Alan Edwards" wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, r_server is in:
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    >>
    >> Stop Service.exe being used. Try looking in Cttl+Alt+Del to see if the
    >> name appears and End Task on it or boot to DOS and delete it.
    >> You don't have to search for it. You already knew where it was.
    >>
    >> Where in the Registry does Netda appear?
    >> Please supply the path as requested and answer all questions or I can
    >> do nothing to help you.
    >>
    >> ....Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>

    >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "eric"
    >> <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I get rid of the load32...Netda entry in the registry. There is no
    >> >r_server
    >> >entry in the registry of the path below.
    >> >When I reboot the Netda reappears in the registry. If I do a search for
    >> >SERVICE.exe it finds the file in WINDOWS/SYSTEM....it says I can't
    >> >delete it
    >> >as its in use. Forgive me but I am not technically au fait with Windows
    >> >and
    >> >its registers etc....
    >> >
    >> >Any further suggestion ?

Boot Microsoft Windows